What goes on HPDE day! Please help!

LordGagan

I will be starting my HPDE next year. I would like to know what goes on in whole event day. Does anyone know when we are suppose to get to the track. How early? What time? and what is the schedule for one day event. I need some help on that so please if you know anything about the first day please let me know.

Thanks alot!

Well, I don't know what region you are in, but start by going to their web site. We are NASA Florida, and you're welcome to see how we are set up, but every region is slightly different. To get an idea, you can go to our web site, http://www.drivenasafl.com

Then, click on the "H.P.D.E." button on the left hand side of the page.

For specific questions, go to your region's web site.

Hope to pass you soon! : ^ ) Just kidding!

Steve Nix

NASA Florida

I will be starting my HPDE next year. I would like to know what goes on in whole event day. Does anyone know when we are suppose to get to the track. How early? What time? and what is the schedule for one day event. I need some help on that so please if you know anything about the first day please let me know.

Thanks alot!

• Members

Sign up for an event. Then email the regional director and ask him if he could suggest someone to act as a mentor for lots of newby questions. Or write a post in your regional subforum asking questions about your event.

Drive around in the dark trying to find the correct gate.

Enter gate.

Drive around in the dark trying to find correct paddock.

Find paddock. Try to guess where you're supposed to park

Give up and park.

See line of cars forming. Wonder why.

Realize line of cars are for tech.

Pull into end of line 3.5 miles from tech station.

Sweat bullets wondering if your car/helmet/paperwork will pass tech.

Sail through tech without a problem because you've been obsessing over the tech form for months before the event.

Return to paddock. Parking spot taken. Drive around looking for people you know.

Go to first classroom session. Realize there is a whole of stuff to keep track of.

1hr before first ontrack session, start strapping in.

When it's finally time, pull into grid. Instructor will have joined you by this point, or at this point.

With stomach flopping, pull onto track.

20min later...perma-grin.

Congratulaions, you have a new addiction.

hahahah thats exactley i was looking for. Can't you get your car tech done before hand? or does it have to be done at every track event? Anyways thanks for the informarion. My addiction was always there. now its time to put it work!

Thanks again!

Drive around in the dark trying to find the correct gate.

Enter gate.

Drive around in the dark trying to find correct paddock.

Find paddock. Try to guess where you're supposed to park

Give up and park.

See line of cars forming. Wonder why.

Realize line of cars are for tech.

Pull into end of line 3.5 miles from tech station.

Sweat bullets wondering if your car/helmet/paperwork will pass tech.

Sail through tech without a problem because you've been obsessing over the tech form for months before the event.

Return to paddock. Parking spot taken. Drive around looking for people you know.

Go to first classroom session. Realize there is a whole of stuff to keep track of.

1hr before first ontrack session, start strapping in.

When it's finally time, pull into grid. Instructor will have joined you by this point, or at this point.

With stomach flopping, pull onto track.

20min later...perma-grin.

Congratulaions, you have a new addiction.

Wow, that is like, so true.

Alan

Hello Lord (that's weird to type),

Jason nailed it, except don't look for the tech line. Here in Nor-cal they prefer you pre-tech before you come to the track. It's free at a bunch of shops around the region, there's a list that'll be sent to you when you register. Or, I believe, any shop with a BAR stamp can do it. This gives you time to fix stuff if you fail. If you have it done at the track, they say it's a $40 fee.

For a list of the HPDE tech stations for Northern California, you can go to http://www.nasaproracing.com/events/hpdetechstations.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and that has the list. That link is around 1/3 of the way down the http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; page.

I suggest also going to the HPDE or Norcal forum sections, and using the search function, as there is a lot of good info. For the schedule, I believe that you will get that e-mailed to you beginning say a week ahead of the event, and updates sent as needed.

- Jim (Calif_Kid)

Thanks for all the info guys. I just dont wanna look like a fool on my first day.

Ill def check all those links up. Id rather get the tech done before hand so Atleast Ill get to HPDE that day. Free Tech Spec sounds good. I heard LIC motorsports or GST Motorsports in bay area do Tech also. Ill check with them.

Thank for all the help. More is always welcome!

You can just call me Gagan..lol Im not no lord man! lol

Have the tech issue sorted out by the weekend before your HPDE

Make sure you have fresh brake fluid, bled the brakes, have good pads and if they are street pads, an extra set.

Bring whatever tools you need to change the pads.

Think about what you are going to do about gas, you will not get good mileage when on the track.

Have the rest of your stuff ready to go by the wed. before so you don't need to rush.

Make sure the car is totally empty except for what you need to bring to the track.

Plan for food/water and bring extra water

bring a chair and think about what to do for shade and if sun is in the forcast, use sunblock.

If you are not staying at the track, get there plenty early to find a paddock spot ( in the daylight, LOL!)

Go find the classroom location, get a schedule and highlight your track sessions and your classroom sessions

If anything is confusing or unclear, find someone on staff and ask!!! Do not be worried about being the n00b, everyone was once, and in fact, I like when people ask me things because I can get them trained up right from the start

Make sure you know what your car number is supposed to be and how you plan on getting that number on your car. Remember the number needs to be 10" and clearly visible in a contrasting color. Corner workers do not want to squint.

Most importantly have fun.

ahhhh why thank you sir! I can't wait. Im a quick learner so if I get to do it once I can do it again.

Thanks for all the help you guys. Its greatly appreciated.

-Gagan

• 1 month later...

Hey Gagan,

I was reading this thread on the nasaforum and resonated with your questions, etc., because I plan to start HPDE in 2009 also in the NorCal region. I hope to get to the Sears Pt. date in Feb!

Look forward to seeing you at events in '09.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gagan and Aruddfan,

I too will be attending my first HPDE at sears point in Feb. I am also from NorCal. We can all stress together!!!! I dont know if they put the newbies in the same area. if you guys would like we can talk (mail) before hand and plan on meeting there so we can get through the first weekend. Just a thought.

Graham1728

• 3 weeks later...

I am so bummed!!!!! I bought a ford Probe for my 1st HPDE because my wife and I both have suv's. I had to put a new clutch in the Probe (I found a lot harder then a rear wheel drive) and just got it driving. So, now with it running for sure I rushed in to register for HPDE Sears Point on the 14th or 15th and learned that it is full. Okay, I am done venting now and will register for March!!!!!!

Graham

HPDE 1& 2 fill up very quickly you should register at least a month ahead to insure a spot if you need to cancel your driving day due to to your car not running or something more important than a great day at the track you can advise NASA at least one week before the track day and get a refund on your registration fees less $30.00

Rick

911 GTS3 Rookie

• 4 months later...