East Coast Series Options

Red Tornado

Here is what I have so far as possible options. Several are unconfirmed and VIR is last years dates as reference so assume similar weekends.

All those interested please jump in. JWL, if possible would be great if we could post a poll.

Again folks this would hopefully be an enahncement to your region events and this would be more of a "bucket" list of tracks that hopefully we will work to drum up some sponsors or magazine coverage on.

Here are current options which would be NASA only events:

One date choice is clearly best for these tracks:

Road Atlanta- March 13-15th

Barber - May 29-31st

Watkins Glen - Oct 2-4th

Sebring - June 19-21st (12 hour course..yeah baby!!)

Road America - April 25-26th (tentative and likely a curious weather choice.

Multiple Dates so what best works with above or weather wise (weigh in)

Mid-Ohio - April 17-19th, July 10-12th, or August 14-16th (I personally vote for the summer events)

VIR - Feb 22-24th, March 28-30th, and July 25-27th (again these are the 2008 dates but should represent close dates, I vote for march weather wise personally)

I will cast the first vote for my top 5:

Road Atlanta - March 13-15th

VIR Full Course - March 28-31st (or april /may event as rumor has it they may have gotten a date)

Sebring 12 hour course - June 20-21st

Mid-Ohio - July 10-12th

Watkins Glen - Oct 3-4th

Anyone interested definetly vote and weigh-in and that means all of you who usually don't post.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red Tornado

• stevepoe

• Burnett

• Dean#4AI

Road Atlanta in march sound good but vir backing in up in two weeks would be a tough hall for me and willing to bet other up in the great lakes.

I have a two car trailer if any local great lakes guys want to share a ride and gas.

Have you checked with Bluegrass? 1st 2. ? mile section is to be open in April.

My offer to the crowd for the "NASA American Iron East Coast Supper Series"

Feb - VIR

March - Atlanta

April - Road America

June - Sebring

July - Mid Ohio

Sept - NASA Nationals (not part of series)

Oct - The Glen

I picked 6 events (4 the same as Tornado). If 4 counted (8 races) you could skip 1 (but you shouldnt) & break at another and still be ok. The best against the best at the best tracks!

Robin #21

chris,

VIR sent me my media pass for next season and it includes the following

Oct. 10-11........................ NASA Oktoberfast Roadracing and German Car Festival

Lets do

March at Road Atlanta

May at Barber

June at Sebring

July at Mid Ohio

October at VIR

We dont get Watkins Glen in this scenario, but the weather for that event is touch and go and it is by far the most expensive of all the choices. By contrast October at VIR is prime climate and would probably be the nicest weather conditions for any of our race possibilities.

• Members

Is June the only date we can get for Sebring? Talk about hot! It would be nice to maybe try for a northern region track for June (WG maybe?) and try to score a Sebring date early or later in the year when it wouldn't be so stickn' hot. Of course, I know this might be asking a lot but maybe something you guys with the schedules could consider...?

Ed

We tried to look for ideal weather and races during the heart of the season. We covered all regions so everyone should have one home event. Also tried to get events that had Friday practice option which currently appears to nearly everyone.

The final event schedule is looking like:

1- VIR Full Course March 28-29th (has practice day on Friday option)

2 - Road America April 25-26th (appears will have practice Friday)

3- Sebring 12 Hour Course June 20-21st

4- Mid-Ohio July 11-12th (Friday Practice)

5- Road Atlanta August 8-9th (Friday practice and enduro)

6- Watkins Glen Oct 3-4th

Much more details wll continue to follow but will likely be 8 races count (as two races a weekend) and perhaps some cool bonus points for track records, pole, hard charger.

Again this is all for fun and leveraging current regional race schedules to get some really big fields and hopefully we can get some sponsors who like the thought.

Bump.....edited..........edited again

I just want everyone to see what is being proposed. This will be a cool schedule! Some longer tows but worth the drive. It will be great to have our own traveling circus. Lets start a list of possible attendees, I will keep it up to date.

The final event schedule is looking like:

Robin Burnett (me)

Chris DeSalvo

Todd Lincoln (new owner of Tweety, my old rental car)

Aaron Bambach (new owner of Casper, my old rental car)

Rusty Feguson

Rob Bodle

B Tone (3)

TJ Bain (3)

Ed McGuire

Dean S (4)

Steve Poe

Bill Brownie (4)

Jay Andrew (4)

Chris Durbin

Brian Groth (1+)

Who else? If you guys respond I'll keep editing this post so we can all see the level of interest. Reply or PM me, either way, even if you are only able to do a few of them.

Jeff F, Beau D, Greg (congrats Champ) Walker, what say thee? These are the bucket list tracks...........lets have some fun!

Thanks,

Robin

Edited by Guest

• Members

There's a good chance I'll do some if not most. Depends on my SE Director duties but I am definitely interested and planning on trying to make it work...

If I still have a job and a roof over my head by the time the 09 season rolls around count me in plus a possible +1 if my rental car is rented.

Great lakes just got Bluegrass for June 7th weekend.?

Well, I can't promise anything but I'm going to try and make at least half of them. The motor is coming out this winter for once-over and if they don't find anything major, it will certainly help the cause.

The only track I haven't been on is Sebring and, of course, will be the toughest for me to get to.

Hope to see you guys in March!

Steve, double check us. I think these dates are all correct. If you find on the region web sites that we have something listed wrong, let us know. Otherwise this is it!

Robin

Robin,

Any color on number of drops or the number of the 12 races that count? Also since the tire policy has recently changed will we run the first two with an old rubber option or all on the new ones?

Thanks,

Robin and I are working to get out all details shortly.

Yes it will be very likely that of the 12 races only your top finishing 8 will count so you can basically drop two full weekends.

This hopefully also get's more people out to at least 4 of the events since when we looked at the tracks most everyone should be close enough to make trip to 4 of them.

Robin and I are working to get out all details shortly.

Yes it will be very likely that of the 12 races only your top finishing 8 will count so you can basically drop two full weekends.

This hopefully also get's more people out to at least 4 of the events since when we looked at the tracks most everyone should be close enough to make trip to 4 of them.

Guys,

Just a side note for your points calculations, when you come to Sebring, in NASA-FL we run 4 separate races per weekend. Not sure how that might affect your decision on the number of races to be dropped. Here is the schedule from our last Sebring event, I'm pretty confident the schedule for the June 2009 event will identical:

NASA FL- Sebring October 11-12, 2008

Same Schedule both days

START GROUP LOCATION ACTION

6:45 AM Gate open Guard Station Sign track waivers/ enter paddock

7:15 AM 8:25 AM HPDE Breezeway/Pit central HPDE tech (line forms on paddock side)

7:15 AM 8:20 AM RACERS Paddock Central-stairs Racer check-in

7:15 AM 11:00 AM Registration Paddock Central-stairs Passenger registration/NASA merchandise

7:40 AM Instructors Classroom- 2nd Floor Instructor check-in & AM briefing

7:55 AM H1 Pit Lane Report to pit lane with car

8:10 AM 8:25 AM Instructors Pit Lane Student introductions/meet & greet

8:30 AM ALL Paddock Central-stairs Mandatory Drivers Meeting

8:50 AM H3,H4 &TT Paddock Central-stairs Mandatory-Meet your Group Leader

9:00 AM 10:00 AM H1 & H2 Classroom- 2nd Floor Mandatory/Classroom presentation-training

Track sessions start:

9:00 AM 9:25 AM H 3 Track Session Restricted Passing/Registered passengers ok

9:25 AM 9:50 AM H 4 & TT Track Session Unrestricted passing/no passengers/No timing

9:50 AM 10:10 AM RACERS Start from pit lane RACE Qualifying

10:10 AM 10:35 AM H1 & H2 Track Session Restricted Passing/H2-Reg'sted passengers ok

10:35 AM 11:00 AM H 3 Track Session Restricted Passing/Registered passengers ok

10:35 AM RACERS Classroom- 2nd Floor Drivers Meeting (Mandatory both days)

11:00 AM 11:25 AM H 4 & TT Track Session Unrestricted Passing/no passengers/TT timed

11:00 AM 11:15 AM RACERS Turn 17 grid area Report to false grid for staging

11:25 AM 12:05 PM RACERS Track Session 30 min Sprint Race (Points only-no awards)

**40 min allowed for sprint race includes pace lap and cool down lap.12:10 PM 1:00 PM Track closed/lunch Course workers back on station 12:55

12:20 PM sharp Registered drivers Track Tour/family laps 2 laps with pace car; No passing; Minors ok.

1:00 PM 1:25 PM H 1 & H 2 Track Session Restricted Passing/H2-Reg'sted passengers ok

1:25 PM 1:50 PM H 4 & TT Track Session Unrestricted Passing/no passengers/TT timed

1:50 PM 2:15 PM H 3 Track Session Restricted Passing/Registered passengers ok

2:15 PM 2:40 PM H 1 & H 2 Track Session Restricted Passing/H2-Reg'sted passengers ok

2:15 PM 2:30 PM RACERS Turn 17 grid area Report to false grid for staging

2:40 PM 3:35 PM RACERS Track Session 40 min Sprint Race (pts +trophies/awards)

***55 min alloted to sprint race allows for pace lap, cool down lap & clean up after checker.

3:35 PM 4:00 PM H 3 & H 4 Track Session Combined Session- RESTRICTED PASSING

3:45 PM TT only Pit Lane Report to Pit lane for "shootout" staging

4:00 PM 4:25 PM TT only! Track Session TT timed "shoot out" -Unrestricted Passing

4:10 PM RACERS Victory Lane SUN only-Podium ceremony/photos

4:25 PM 4:30 PM schedule correction (if needed)

4:30 PM 4:57 PM H 1 & H 2 Track Session Restricted Passing/H2-Reg'sted passengers ok

5:00 PM Track Closed End of the day's activities

5:10 PM SAT only Social Victory Lane Social/ (w/Racer & TT awards ceremony)

All participants/family/friends welcome.

*HPDE 1,2,3,4, TT drivers are required to attend the appropriate "Download Meetings" following track sessions.

Schedule adjustments may be necessary due to unforeseen track delays. Listen to PA for announcements.