FINAL Proposed Rule Change - GTSU Reinstatement

ianacole

Final rule proposal, I promise (except for the one that will come about once we get close to a final draft of the rule change process).

Proposed rule/change: Shall we reinstate GTSU as a points class, thereby making it Nationals eligible, to include original associated rules (i.e. no dyno = GTSU)?

Why was it dropped in the first place? This might help clarify whether that reason is still valid or not.

Good question, I was told that this was a NASA, not a GTS Challenge decision.

This was indeed our decision. In the past, we saw no need for duplication of GTSU and SU, but after review it looks like that might have been a bad call-thus the inquiry now into whether it might be wise to bring it back.

-JWL

Why was it dropped in the first place? This might help clarify whether that reason is still valid or not.

Good question, I was told that this was a NASA, not a GTS Challenge decision.

bring it back. not only would this resolve the gt3 cup question but it will give interested racers in other series an easy way to give nasa and gts a test drive w/o any impact on other classes.

I say bring it back... The only issue I see is the HUGE speed discrpancy on the track. ...there will be gts1's and 2's being passed by cars that will seem to be dropped out of the sky.

• Members

At least here in the NE, we don't see the speed discrepancy as the big issue, because as it is now, we are routinely running in the same group with SU/ST guys, having GTS1/2, or HC4/5 cars sharing the track with GTS5/SU/ST. Regarding GTSU, we saw issues with policing borderline GTS5/GTSU cars with in car adjustable Engine Management controls, but that was prior to the changes in the rules, requiring drivers to disclose it and be sealed by officials (incidentally GTSU was dropped soon after eliminating the whole issue). That area in the rules may still require a little better wording. Ideally, we don't want to make GTSU "catch all no-dyno cars" class, but make it home for cars above GTS5. Michael G. (NE GTS Dir.)

I say bring it back... The only issue I see is the HUGE speed discrpancy on the track. ...there will be gts1's and 2's being passed by cars that will seem to be dropped out of the sky.

We do it every time we race with BMW CCA. Just forces people to be more aware of their surroundings.

So would it end up being basically a GTS 6 class?

FWIW - I like the idea of more German cars on track with GTS but I'd like to see individual class numbers grow instead of the number of classes in GTS.

Ryan

So would it end up being basically a GTS 6 class?

FWIW - I like the idea of more German cars on track with GTS but I'd like to see individual class numbers grow instead of the number of classes in GTS.

Ryan

If we can get people hooked through a U class that doesn't require a dyno and move them into one that does, we accomplish just what you're looking for.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Please bring it back.

I used to race GTSU

GTS is a great group of guys.

Of course I will have to run GTSU & SU each weekend then

Thanks,

Norm

Yes, Please bring it back.

I used to race GTSU

GTS is a great group of guys.

Of course I will have to run GTSU & SU each weekend then

Thanks,

Norm

Hey Norm,

Check out the new 2009 NASA GTS rules. GTS-U is back just for you ! Look forward to having you back on track with us again. Though I was looking forward to you gettting a M3 and running GTS-3...

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/GTS-Challenge.pdf

-Scott B.

Someone needs to figure out a homing beacon/warning for Norm... He'll truly be the car that fell out of the sky for gts1 and 2's in the back stretch braking zone at MidO. Should be fun!

Edited by Guest

Someone needs to figure out a homing beacon/warning for Norm... He'll truly be the car that fell out of the sky for gts1 and 2's in the back stretch braking zone at MidO. Should be fun!

How about we just make him run with a police-style light bar on the roof?