Radios used for road racing

marshallmosty

What car/pit communication equipment is everyone using? I'm trying to get myself wrapped around something to purchase for the 8 hour here in Texas at the April TWS event.

I've talked to the people at Racing Electronics and they suggested a 25W mobile unit in the car and the more traditional 4W pit radio since we weren't going to use an antenna boom.

That basically puts an entry level system at $1400 for the system and enough to fill three helmets worth of mics and ear pieces.

Does this sound reasonable?

Last year we had HORRIBLE luck with the standard 2W radios used for the information broadcast.

Speaking from experience, resist the temptation to try and save a few bucks by piecing together something using Wal-Mart GRMS/FRS radios. The money and time I pissed away trying to make it work damn near added up to what it cost for a real system, from Shawn, which I am going to end up getting anyway.

There was also a discussion of radios here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2386

Ditto: Call Shawn at Sampson...I've been using their system for three years and it not only works well, you will also not be able to match the customer service and quick turnaround....They're racers, they "get it."

Karen

FFR #28