instructors and upgrades

almeda07

I'm going to try to combine two questions in one post, with HPDE, I am assigned an

instructor or do they get to choose who they want. What happens if they don't want me or I don't want them in my car? Say that there are 14 students and 13 instructors, what happens to lucky 14? They spend $365.00 for the weekend to be a cheerleader on the side lines?

The other question at what point does my car have to go spec? Right now, it is missing spec suspension and rear differential (limited slip )...

thank you

allie

Welcome to HPDE. You are given an instructor and you meet them first thing in the morning. They usually determine the number of instructors before registration opens so they dont over fill HPDE1. I guess if an instructor didnt show, there are plenty of others on hand that could fill in. All the instructors I have met are pretty cool and all drive different cars so you may find one with the same car as you.

Not sure what you mean by car your having to be spec...what kind of car is it? In HPDE, there arent any restrictions really when it comes to modifications

Okay, maybe I didn't ask the right question, when can I compete in SM events, when all the HPDEs are done? I don't want to be an instructor, so to get into Time Trial events do I have to go all the way to HPDE 4 ???

The car is a miata, I'm missing the "new" Toyo tires, spec. suspension and limited

slip differential...

Okay, maybe I didn't ask the right question, when can I compete in SM events, when all the HPDEs are done? I don't want to be an instructor, so to get into Time Trial events do I have to go all the way to HPDE 4 ???

The car is a miata, I'm missing the "new" Toyo tires, spec. suspension and limited

slip differential...

Well, if you haven't even done an HPDE yet, don't even think about anything competition for AT LEAST ONE YEAR(probably two). You need to do many events to gain the skill required to race. Don't focus on the car mods or consume your thought process with racing. Your primary goal needs to be learning and having fun. I know that I perform better and learn more when I focus on each session independently and give my full attention to the learning environment that is HPDE.

Good Luck!

--Doug

You can participate in Spec Miata races after you obtain your racing license (as previously stated, count on that being at least 1 year from now, with consistent participation in events). It is best to have several levels of HPDE under your belt before you attempt this, and I believe that NASA requires their race school applicants to be at HPDE-3 level or above (don't quote me on this, though). There are other race school groups that do not have HPDE minimum requirements, and will be happy to take your money and give you a few lessons. But, the only person you will be cheating is yourself, as you will not be likely prepared to handle various tracks, traffic situations, etc.

My best advice is that you should not be in a rush to get into a race group. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Mark

As for pairing you up with an instructor, I have yet to see NASA "overbook" the HPDE-1 class and leave a student stranded. In NASA-FL, there is always at least 1 spare instructor that I have seen (often the Chief Instructor, who is rarely on track in any class), so it's not an issue that I have ever seen.

I have seen one instance where an assigned instructor was not comfortable riding shotgun in a student's car (Cobra kit car with no rear head restraint for the passenger...bad news if the car spins and backs into something), and the instructor refused to ride in the car. But, they found another instructor who wasn't as skittish, and the students simply swapped instructors. If you have a car like this, then it is important that you are up-front with your NASA group at the point of registration and explain everything to them in advance in order to avoid track-day snafus like this.

Mark

The progression into TT involves completing all 4 HPDE levels. NASA-FL requires that you complete 1 event weekend in HPDE-4 before being admitted into TT (since HPDE-4 and TT are on track at the same time; your region may vary).

Mark

The progression into TT involves completing all 4 HPDE levels. NASA-FL requires that you complete 1 event weekend in HPDE-4 before being admitted into TT (since HPDE-4 and TT are on track at the same time; your region may vary).

Mark

NASA MA requires HPDE 1-3 with at least 5 weekends in 3 before you can get a check ride for TT.

Needless to say getting out of HPDE will take at least a year with a fast learner...

--Doug

I'm going to try to combine two questions in one post, with HPDE, I am assigned an

instructor or do they get to choose who they want. What happens if they don't want me or I don't want them in my car? Say that there are 14 students and 13 instructors, what happens to lucky 14? They spend $365.00 for the weekend to be a cheerleader on the side lines?

The other question at what point does my car have to go spec? Right now, it is missing spec suspension and rear differential (limited slip )...

thank you

allie

You are assigned an instructor by the chief officials of Instruction. You will not be on the sidelines as you say.

Welcome to HPDE.

As far as your car...bring it just as it is and have a lot of fun. Above all else...just remember to listen to your instructors.

slip differential...

To answer this question....

To compete in SM you will have to be signed off from HPDE3 to 4 and given the green light to go for a comp eval or attend a comp school. Each of which you will need the approval from the Regional Director as I know it.

For Time Trials...you have to complete a good number of HPDE3 weekends and then coordinate with the Regional TT Director to get a sign off date for a ride along by a qualified official to give you the signature on the paper.

with HPDE, I am assigned an instructor or do they get to choose who they want. What happens if they don't want me or I don't want them in my car?

Assignments are made in advance, usually by the chief instructor for the event, based on the pre-registration lists. The most common way to match people up is by car type. For instance my last two tracked cars have been E30 and E36 chassis 3 series BMW's, so my assigned students are often in those as well. Generally speaking, any certified instructor can help any student immensely, regardless of car type. So those pairings aren't super important, but they certainly can't hurt.

If they don't want to be in your car or if you don't want them in your car, it should be taken up with the chief instructor immediately (although both situations are quite rare from what I've seen over the years.)

slip differential...

The biggest way we could help you in this forum is not the car yet.

What region do you drive in?

Do you have any on track experience in any car?

What organization did you drive with?

Is your focus Time Trial or SM racing?

Everyone here is helpful - this is not a forum that flames. Just start off by giving some info to work with. About the driver, not the car.

Have you been on track with almost 200mph IMSA cars? GT3 Cup cars? You will in TT. Been on track with 70 fully experienced racers? You will in SM (combined with the other groups it runs with).

FIrst things first. Make sure your car is in good shape and check your ego at the gate. Better yet, leave the ego at home. Show up with and open mind and ready to learn. I have had only one instructor that I did not get along with but I still learned from him. Everyone has more to learn (Yes, that includes racers and instructors) and you can learn something from every different instructor/coach that gets in your car.

If your instructor says do something do it right away without question. There will be time for questions after the session. THats what downloads after the session are for. Most instructors are in the car because they want to teach you to drive your car faster and safer. It really helps if you go into this with a good attitude and listen.

HTH

Bob

If i am hearing this question correctly, you have a Miata and want to race (eventually).

That's great.

1)Have a mechanic check out your car using the Technical inspection form provided by NASA.

2)Buy a SA2005 rated helmet, and sign up for HPDE.

Let the professionals at NASA worry about all the other details. They will make sure you have a good time, and learn how to drive so that someday you can compete. It won't happen overnight though. You will understand once you have completed your first HPDE event.

If i am hearing this question correctly, you have a Miata and want to race (eventually).

That's great.

1)Have a mechanic check out your car using the Technical inspection form provided by NASA.

2)Buy a SA2005 rated helmet, and sign up for HPDE.

Let the professionals at NASA worry about all the other details. They will make sure you have a good time, and learn how to drive so that someday you can compete. It won't happen overnight though. You will understand once you have completed your first HPDE event.

A perfect distillation of how to learn to race or TT. Get the experience from trained professionals over time. You can't "think" your way into this. It takes time and a willing + open attitude. I love the comment "even instructors and racers" can learn. Thanks to the forum for reminding me to keep it real.

take any ride alongs you can get.

this helped me immensely last time out.

Im much more of a monkey see monkey do learner. My instructor had been guiding me all day, but once i sat in a few instructor cars, it totally opened my eyes and all the direction began to make sense. pointing and making gestures can only go so far for me.

Im much more of a monkey see monkey do learner. My instructor had been guiding me all day, but once i sat in a few instructor cars, it totally opened my eyes and all the direction began to make sense. pointing and making gestures can only go so far for me.

Good suggestion and very much the same for me, especially if they drive your car.

"what happends if they don't want me or I don't want them in my car"..

Is this for real?

Yes that is for real. If I don't feel safe in a student's car, be it the car itself or the way he/she is conducting their self on track, I won't ride with them!!!!! Also, you have to remember that there's a trust going on between instructor and student. Sometime personalities clash as with anybody that you'd meet. If it's not there, it's not there. This doesn't happen often but it does happen. When it does, it's not a big deal. We're all grown-ups, so just be polite and ask for another instructor.

Good suggestion and very much the same for me, especially if they drive your car.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, but.........a NASA instructor should never drive a students car.

I've had instructors drive my car a couple times. It's eye opening for one thing, to see what the limits of your car are, and it's also good to have another set of eyes and hands on the car to determine if there are any suspension issues or anything that you otherwise wouldn't notice.

John

• National Staff

NASA will not cover an instructor for damages done to a student's car while that instructor is driving. So, the instructor drive's it at their risk.