obzezzed350

Race Deck Garage Floor Tiles

obzezzed350

Hey guys,

About to finish up my garage project and want some opinions on the race deck tiles. I tried the 2 part epoxy and it sucks. Jack stands push through it, floor jack scratches it as it rolls. So I am looking to buy the snap together tiles. Race Deck brand seems to be good but are super expensive, I only want 250 sq ft or so and they want over $850. I found some other brand known as Daytona and it is around $600 shipped. Anyone have any experience with this kind of flooring? Thanks

Joseph

Balroks

I saw some of that stuff at the PRI show, looked pretty cool. IMHO though i wouldn't use a tile system if nothing but the risk of fluids/dirt getting down inside, making cleanup a pain. Though the whole point of coating/tiling is to make it easier. My dad and I did his and my garages with the paint stuff from the Depot, oil cleanup is easy with paper towels and I can slide around under the car with ease, nothing sticks so i sweep with the compressor. But like you said it can scratch and stuff, i'll ask around on those two brands and see if anyone's used em.

TurboShortBus

What kind of 2-part floor epoxy did you use before? My buddy tried 1 coat of the Rust-Oleum crap they sell at Blowe's, and it peeled up on him (I warned him that it was cheap crap, but nooooo he wouldn't listen, and his garage now looks like ass). I used 2 coats of Tile-Clad HS from Sherwin Williams when I bought my house 5 1/2 years ago, and it still looks great. IIRC, it cost less than a 2-coat package of U-Coat-It. I mixed 1/2 bag of "shark-grip" in the first coat and put none in the second coat, and it is easy enough to sweep, mop, or slide around on my back while giving decent wet-shoe traction. There are a few chips in it (1 from where I dropped a piece of steel from 6 feet high, another where the spindle/A-arm accidentally dropped down an a stud gouged the floor), but in most cases, a chunk of concrete is also missing, so it's not like it was just an epoxy failure. I don't notice any jack stand damage, although you can prevent this by cutting a thin piece of plywood to fit under your stands. I usually clean the floor with brake cleaner and a rag, something I might not recommend with a plastic floor tile product. Also, can fluids get in between (and underneath) the tiles, so you have to clean under them?

Another nice thing about the SW floor epoxy is that it is available in any paint color that SW offers, so you're not limited to generic gray, white, or beige. I'm so retarded that I went to Home Cheapo and got the same SW paint code in regular latex to paint my 8 foot long workbench. I can also touch up floor spots with the same paint.

IMHO, that plastic floor tile stuff seems a little expensive and impractical for an actual home mechanic. It's probably great for the retired sports car poseur who owns an automatic Corvette (or similar neutered high-dollar sports car) with nothing else in the garage but a 3-wheeled bicycle and a recycling bin.

Mark

philstireservice

try this company...we are buying this for our track set-up.

www.dekmat.com

kcashman@mylec.com

tell him Phil from PhilsTireService sent you

robbodleimages

I've been using RaceDeck garage flooring for my track parking deck for two seasons now. I will be adding some this winter for a second car. Its great.

IMG_1013.jpg

panozracing
Hey guys,

About to finish up my garage project and want some opinions on the race deck tiles. I tried the 2 part epoxy and it sucks. Jack stands push through it, floor jack scratches it as it rolls. So I am looking to buy the snap together tiles. Race Deck brand seems to be good but are super expensive, I only want 250 sq ft or so and they want over $850. I found some other brand known as Daytona and it is around $600 shipped. Anyone have any experience with this kind of flooring? Thanks

Joseph

I build houses and have tried lots of stuff. The U-Coatit seems to be very good stuff. Much thicker and more durable than the homedepot/lowes products. I personally have a 3 car garage and a lift at my house with 2 race cars. We do all the work ourselves. I used a 2 part rustoleum floor coating and it is holding up fine. It will scratch but it is hard. I find that the epoxies are only as good as the application process. The hardest part is getting the floor completely right before starting. I am weary of the racedeck and stuff getting below (like a gallon oil spill or radiator draining gone wrong ).

TurboShortBus
I find that the epoxies are only as good as the application process. The hardest part is getting the floor completely right before starting.

+1.

I took 5 nights to prep and coat my garage floor before I moved into the house. 1 night to remove the loose parts of existing floor paint with a 3-stone rotating scraper, 1 night to degrease and scrub, 1 night to etch with muriatic acid, and 1 night per coat (2 coats).

I am weary of the racedeck and stuff getting below (like a gallon oil spill or radiator draining gone wrong ).

+1 again

Mark

obzezzed350

I really dont remember what we used but it wasnt all that expensive. Im tempted to just go with a higher quality coating like the ones named here. It is started to come up in a few places, what would be the best way to remove the old crap?

TurboShortBus

I rented a rotating scraper from a local equipment rental place. It's basically a little bigger than a vacuum cleaner, and has a spinning disc on the bottom with 3 coarse stones in it. The disc just spins and the stones scrape up the old, weak paint. Old paint that still has some "bite" stays, and I haven't had any problems applying the SW epoxy over it (no peeling, etc.).

Mark

Balroks

So you took 5 days to do it and you left old paint?!?!?! Tisk tisk, your OCD is loosing it's edge Mark (I kid I kid)

TurboShortBus
So you took 5 days to do it and you left old paint?!?!?! Tisk tisk, your OCD is loosing it's edge Mark (I kid I kid)

Oh, you should have seen the OCD in progress on this one. But, if the old paint sticks fine, then you can coat right over it. Basically, you just want to get the thin, flaky stuff up. There was really no practical way for me to completely remove 400sf of paint from a concrete floor...while working days and trying to move all of my crap across town at night without missing any work...while coating the garage floor...while getting ready for a race the following weekend...

Mark

Gators2001

damn!!! 5 DAYS!

I say tile it and DONT!!! spill!

TurboShortBus

OK, 5 NIGHTS. Monday through Friday, about 3-4 hours per night.

A 5 minute job gets you 5 minute results.

Mark

BigFloors

Hi-

I read through the posts here and if you are looking for good quality USA Made garage flooring, then check out http://www.bigfloors.com You'll Find RaceDeck, MotoFloor, Harley-Davidson, GarageTrac, and more Plus FREE SHIPPING.

Reande

I realize this is an old thread, but I keep running across these old discussions and finding I have suggestions or better info to offer

I had Racedeck in my garage at our last house https://10carbest.com/best-garage-floor-mats   I pulled it up when we moved and in the next couple weeks will be putting it back down at our new place. Along with a few new tiles because I have a little more space plus to replace some that I cut for the previous installation. I liked it a lot and highly recommend it. At first I was really careful about how I treated it, what I rolled on it, etc. But after awhile decided it was pretty tough and really didn't do anything special. Just worked on it. I don't weld so that's not a problem for me. If you drop something real heavy on it (like a center section, ask me how I know...) it will dent. But it's easy enough to pop out a tile and snap a new one in. I bought a few extras for spares for just that reason. I also followed a hint I saw to put cushioning underneath it. Apparently it will squeak a little when you walk on it if you don't. I used Polyethylene Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric from Home Depot (another hint I saw) which is cheap and seemed to do the job.

In my other garage, we also parked our daily driver on it. In my design, I had their free flow tiles under the four tire locations so it could drain the inevitable Michigan ice and snow. Worked OK, and the residue from that cleaned off the Racedeck just fine at the end of each season. But I won't be using the free flow tiles in my new garage. The creeper doesn't roll over them as easily and they're hard on your knees. Plus I won't be parking the DD on the Racedeck at our new place. I'm only putting it on two of the four bays in my man space. 

Follow their directions for installation, and leave space for expansion as already mentioned. The only minor complaint I had was my garage door faced south at our other house, so with the door open the hot sun caused the outside border of tiles to buckle up a little. I don't think it was anything I did. I had the required spacing on the sides. Saw a couple reports of others who had the same thing happen. But it's not a big deal. They went right back down if I closed the door and the tile cooled off.

Bottom line it looks great, is a decent value compared to other options, can be put over just about any condition floor, and is much more comfortable to work on and keep clean than bare concrete. Just plain made the garage a more pleasant place to work.

Just some suggestions and one good video from Youtube, that I hope will help.