2009 NASA-SE Diet thread

Jim P.

• Members

Howdy all,

Let's face, many of us have gained a few extra lbs - myself included! My goal is to shed 30-40 lbs sensibly so I was going to start a thread where we can all post tips, tricks and what works for them. I want to lose 2-3 lbs per week and have already started a regimen of working out at a gym 4-5 days a week.

As of 1-4-09 I weigh (gasp) 249* lbs

1-11-09 245.5

1-18-09 243.5

2-20-09 239

2-26-09 238

*yes, that santa suit wasn't padded!

Post your story and what's working for you...

PS. I thought I'd sweeten the diet challenge - the "biggest" loser between Feb 6th and May 1st will get a free NASA T-Shirt!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcmmotorsports

• julianna7

• beerkat

• Jim P.

StraightSix

Both of my parents have had great success with the South Beach Diet. It's a little different from most "diet" plans, but it does give one a pretty good guide for eating much more healthy for life. My Mom lost something like 60 lbs on it, and my Dad lost 30 - 40 lbs.

mcmmotorsports

I don't have the luxury of a GYM and I am at a huge disadvantage sitting on my rump for 14-16 hrs and day, 5 days a week. BUT, I do have a Golds Gym stair stepper thingy under my bunk that I am using about 20 mins. 2-3 days a week. In addition, I have gone from 2% Milk, to skim, am using Fat-Free Half & Half with my coffee, eliminated my Pepsi consumption and replaced it with water and I am currently using the Special K Protein products. So far in 2 weeks I dropped about 5lbs. Went from 212 to 207. Before I went back to this trucking crap I was a svelte 195lb.

That is my goal before CMP. My firesuit doesn't fit as good as it used to.

I wish I could be in the Gym 3-5 days a week. Then I might look like Falcon.

+1 for South Beach.

About 5 years ago I was about 205 when my wife put me on South Beach. I thought I was going to die the first few days but after a while i got used to it. I dropped about 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks and after about 2 months had lost 30+ lbs. I don't really do the diet any more, try to go to the gym pretty regularly and my carb mostly come from beer. Now I fluctuate between 165-170.

Good Luck...

Elvenhome21

Heck with the stair stepper, just go through 5pm chicago or dc traffic and purposely use the clutch for EVERY shift (I bet your leg wont be able to do chicago the entire way through). Just wish i had something to work my right leg.

But on a serious note I keep a 25lb dumb bell next to my seat when im bored (constantly) or driving at night on endless roads, give it 20 curls each arm every hour or 2 and I lost 6 lbs in the last 3 weeks.

I really got to get a better food intake plan, right now I chew a lot of sugarless gum to keep my mind off munching but its not the long term answer. Back when I was team driving I drank a monster when I woke up and never got hungry or really ate anything until I went to bed. Then I just ate a can of chunky soup and was good til the next morning. But now my mind/body dont agree with eating soup all the time.

Fred Crawford

I was 197 last years start, Then I designed the PAWS diet and now I am at 181 lbs. Works great.... 6 more pounds to go...

Fc

Mean John deere

• Members

4 years ago I had a problem with Cholesterol (243 pts) and my Doc put me on Sugar Busters diet - similar to South beach, I had lost 30 lbs and 75 pts then - so I was considering going back on it (strict) - I have been watching my carbs since then but not my portions...

ClemsonMotorWerks

my last year in HS i went form like 220ish to 195, watched what i eat and lots of water

now im back up to nearly 240

I'll take you on for that free shirt

Gentlemen, I'll join you for your diet but I don't think I can lose quite as much in the same amount of time. Still, it'll be good to have company Between South Beach and then Weight Watchers, I lost 80 lbs over a couple years. South Beach is too difficult for me to stick with living alone but it's a great plan and the food is really good. I want to lose about 20 lbs more, hopefully before the summer, and I'm going to follow Weight Watchers and make time for running this semester (best exercise I've found for weight loss and stress relief!)

Shoot I'm in for this, I cracked 210 again and while it's great for holding lots of beer it's 50-60lbs more than I need. Lost 20lbs before by just drinking water (still had beers).

mpowers

going to add ballast to make weight in the car now

• Members
Jim did you have too much cake today, mid life crisis, or do just feel a little older?

LOL! Actually my clothes are getting tighter and I just bought bigger clothes a month ago! (yikes!)

You can ask Julie, my midlife crisis started around 1996 and is still going strong...

Happy birthday BIG guy

FYI - my B-day is April 1st (no fooling!) - It'll be the 18th anniversary of my 29th birthday...

-Old (Fat) Pantas

old_man_with_cane-7208671.gif

Gentlemen, I'll join you for your diet but I don't think I can lose quite as much in the same amount of time. Still, it'll be good to have company Between South Beach and then Weight Watchers, I lost 80 lbs over a couple years. South Beach is too difficult for me to stick with living alone but it's a great plan and the food is really good. I want to lose about 20 lbs more, hopefully before the summer, and I'm going to follow Weight Watchers and make time for running this semester (best exercise I've found for weight loss and stress relief!)

the Keri I met at Road Atlanta would have to loose a limb to drop 20lbs

eclricochet

Truth be told, when I started with NASA I was almost 250....really sad to say....

Killing soda is all I have really done. I had a wisdom tooth pulled before the September 07 Roebling date. Since you aren't supposed to drink anything carbonated, I chose that as a good time to quit soda. I have lost over 20lbs with taking that out of my diet. It isn't much being a big guy but that is the most weight I have dropped since high school. I will be doing more but I just need to make more room in my schedule. Really sad is that coming from a martial arts family I have an olympic weight set, bowflex, heavy bags, etc....God I am a lazy SOB....

Good luck Jimbo!

--Doug

Fred Crawford
Then I designed the PAWS diet

Fc

Mean John deere

Okay, I'll bite..PAWS Diet?

Well...... don't eat breakfast or lunch... 1 pack of lance crackers is ok .. then eat a normal dinner. Go to bed and ( important here ) wake up. Step on my doggie scale in the bathroom.

Pounds Away While Sleeping ... PAWS.

Hmm..FYI to all. It's only medically safe (..and possible) to drop 2-3lbs of fat, per week. When you lose more, it's usually muscle and water weight.

getting married, 3 knee surgeries, and a few too many beers later, I weigh more now than I ever have. I have a Bowlfex, and a very good elliptical, and now that my knees are healthy again, the wife and I are both back on the workout plan. I am at 225 now, I would like to be at 210 by CMP. Eventually back to 195, where I was when I got married, no way I will ever see the 160 of my college days.

mcmmotorsports

Well...... don't eat breakfast or lunch... 1 pack of lance crackers is ok .. then eat a normal dinner. Go to bed and ( important here ) wake up. Step on my doggie scale in the bathroom.

Pounds Away While Sleeping ... PAWS.

goof.gif

DIET the four letter word...

Three years ago, I had my dream job, I worked for Krispy Kreme doughnuts all I

had to do was smell 250# of glaze syrup and I didn't eat for the rest of the day. Prior to that I owed a bakery and kept strange hours, so by making 18 triple chocolate cheese cakes, 80 pounds cookie dough, so again didn't eat the sweets and stayed slim.

Then I get this job, three years later, I sit for 10 to 11 hours a day and got fluffy..My

doctor stuck me on a eating plan, which is the RICE diet. I have lost 45 pounds and

still losing, if you are from NC, like me, this is the plan that Duke University and the fat farms in Durham, NC uses. Basically, it cuts the sodium intake and you eat whole grains, fruits and vegetables. The average diet consists on 2500 to 3000 milligrams of sodium daily, this you consume 250 to 300 milligrams max a day. Plus, I swim and walk, then my techs help me out. My miata was right behind my desk and I could go play with it, just a few steps away. No it was put on the opposite of the building, so now I have a walk to go play with it.

However, I don't eat after 7pm, if I miss this, then its water hot or cold for dinner. I don't drink sodas, except for one kind, and I can't get in MD, which is Cheerwine. So when I get it I ration it royally.

Another vote for South Beach but I really recommend the TNT Diet from Men's Health (applicable to women also)

If your serious about it, do yourself a favor and get the book "The TNT Diet" available at any major bookstore or online. It explains why you're doing what you're doing and what you eat does to your body. It's an easy read, not too technical and pretty entertaining.

Its basically a lower carb diet but also has workout plans in there for you too. Once you get adjusted its pretty easy to maintain. takes about two weeks to get your body off of the carbs and start using body fat for energy. Ive been on it for about a year and a half, lost tons of body fat and slashed my once high blood pressure and cholesterol. (didn't take that long for results, probably 4 mos or so)

The best thing you can do is find something that is not a "diet." Meaning you make an actual lifestyle change in your eating habits. This will eliminate the yo-yo effect you get with a traditional "diet."

The best thing about the low carb diets is no calorie counting! I do work out quite a bit but I eat as much as I want whenever I want as long as the food falls into a low carb category.

Good Luck everyone!

Brian

The best thing you can do is find something that is not a "diet." Meaning you make an actual lifestyle change in your eating habits. This will eliminate the yo-yo effect you get with a traditional "diet."

Hit it on the head. Don't need a gym either, just do a couple pushups here and there. Wash/wax your car(s). Clean your house more often. Choose to walk where you'd have chosen to drive, when practical. Or heck, just stand up more often! Sleeping well and drinking water also do a lot more than you'd think. You'll have more energy through the day and increase your metabolism.

My personal issue with low-carb diets is the usually resulting lack of energy=laziness=weight gain. You're better off just getting up and doing something than drastically altering your nutrition..or lack thereof.