GTS Markings !?!

FandangoDrew

Just looking back at what was the 2008 season and something hit me like a ton of bricks. In 2008 I ran in over twenty GTS races, six enduros (in EO and ES) and two PTA races (supersized at nationals), but when I look at the pictures of my car from 2008 all that stands out is PTA and ES. I have all the right (required) GTS stickers and I can see them in the pictures but who else would.

Example:

l_5c78592274554f3c8bf5f0eb15242095.jpg

and:

l_63c9773f19984b44b17bad91fcfcb25d.jpg

Except at Nationals we all run in mixed groups, and I think that GTS is the coolest group (ok I'm a little biased). Shouldn't the GTS sticker be more recognizable for spectators?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ianacole

• RSCoupe

• Eric W.

• FandangoDrew

Ian,

I need a complete set of GTS and class decals for my new build. When and where will these be available?

Brad

I have been told they are very close to becoming available.

Close like "they'll be available at the track in Houston 2 weeks from now for the Texas Region's first race" or some other kind of close?

So close they're past due I'll dig in and see if I can get a shipment out to you...how many will you need?

Hi Ian,

I'm in the process of building an M3 for GTS3 this year. I searched through the rulebook and the only decals that it mentioned that are required are the 4 NASA stickers. Where can I find the other required decals?

Is there an option or possible option to get the fonts for the required logos/companies so that I can cut my own stickers in my color scheme, similar to what they have in BMW Club Racing?

Hi Ian,

I'm in the process of building an M3 for GTS3 this year. I searched through the rulebook and the only decals that it mentioned that are required are the 4 NASA stickers. Where can I find the other required decals?

Hi Harold, welcome to the madness There are no other "required" decals for competing regionally, other than numbers, of course. Nationally, last year it was required to run the class number sticker in reverse (e.g. I ran "3" for GTS-3) on the windshield so cars in front would know if you are in class or not. I thought this was a good idea, but don't recall noticing the decals in rear view mirror, so I'm not sure how effective this was. I think this is something for the group to discuss.

Is there an option or possible option to get the fonts for the required logos/companies so that I can cut my own stickers in my color scheme, similar to what they have in BMW Club Racing?

For now, I believe the decals will be the black font on white background (square) so there should be necessary to change the color scheme. I do, however, like the idea of having the .eps file so that I can get it included in a number plate, or sized to my liking. I will see if we can make this available with the publishing of the new site.

...Nationally, last year it was required to run the class number sticker in reverse (e.g. I ran "3" for GTS-3) on the windshield so cars in front would know if you are in class or not. I thought this was a good idea, but don't recall noticing the decals in rear view mirror, so I'm not sure how effective this was. I think this is something for the group to discuss.

I like the idea of different color windshield banners for the different classes. Would be a lot easier to see that a small number.

...I do, however, like the idea of having the .eps file so that I can get it included in a number plate, or sized to my liking. I will see if we can make this available with the publishing of the new site.

Great idea! GTS number plates would be very nice.

• Members
...Nationally, last year it was required to run the class number sticker in reverse (e.g. I ran "3" for GTS-3) on the windshield so cars in front would know if you are in class or not. I thought this was a good idea, but don't recall noticing the decals in rear view mirror, so I'm not sure how effective this was. I think this is something for the group to discuss.

I like the idea of different color windshield banners for the different classes. Would be a lot easier to see that a small number.

...I do, however, like the idea of having the .eps file so that I can get it included in a number plate, or sized to my liking. I will see if we can make this available with the publishing of the new site.

Great idea! GTS number plates would be very nice.

Not a good option for those of us who race multiple series. BMWCCA require their own number plates and windshield banners.

Not a good option for those of us who race multiple series. BMWCCA require their own number plates and windshield banners.

I guess that means you should just race with NASA...

I was thinking the number plates would be optional, whereas the windshield banner would be more of a requirement.

Does BMWCCA require the windshield banner be a particular color? The color is all I'm saying should be required, not any series name (I would put my sponsor's name on mine).

• Members

I guess that means you should just race with NASA...

I was thinking the number plates would be optional, whereas the windshield banner would be more of a requirement.

Does BMWCCA require the windshield banner be a particular color? The color is all I'm saying should be required, not any series name (I would put my sponsor's name on mine).

No particular color, just a TR banner. However, I think its a tad much to require people to run specific color banners.

...I think its a tad much to require people to run specific color banners.

Really? I don't. Especially since people have been complaining about not being able to tell if the car behind them is in their class, or another. At the moment, I can't think of another way to see obvious class designation in a mirror, at speed. It would also make it easier for spectators to tell the class.

• Members
...I think its a tad much to require people to run specific color banners.

Really? I don't. Especially since people have been complaining about not being able to tell if the car behind them is in their class, or another. At the moment, I can't think of another way to see obvious class designation in a mirror, at speed. It would also make it easier for spectators to tell the class.

Well, you know how people can be with how their cars look. What colors do you propose?

Ive never had an issue with class designation in your mirror. Its pretty simple to know the Porsche GT3 Cup car behind me is not in my class Plus by looking at results sheets for practice and qualifying, you SHOULD know what your competition is running. Plus, by merely indicating you are a faster class car doesnt mean someone will automatically pull over for you either. Maybe that person is using that car as part of strategy, etc?

Im no good w/ colors, so I cant think of a case where something would look super ugly (which is why my wife prolly has to tell me about the clothing combos I wear ) but an extreme example would be like a green car and a pink banner Looking at your avatar, it looks like you have a red/yellow car. I think it'd look rather odd to have a green banner, etc.

No other racing series I can think of has this issue. No one in BMWCCA or PCA complain about having to run different color windshield banners so they can identify cars. I dont see why it should be the case with GTS either

As far as spectators go, I think the new decals will go a long way in helping.

How about just puting a strip of colored racing tape on the windsheild. Remove it when you run CCA. What's wrong with trying to make it easier to tell car classes?

Plus by looking at results sheets for practice and qualifying, you SHOULD know what your competition is running.

this is a very valid point...i make it a point to know whose in my class and try my best to keep track of all the gts cars i'm sharing the track with...

Plus, by merely indicating you are a faster class car doesnt mean someone will automatically pull over for you either.

another good point (man i hate agreeing with eric, lol)...

How about just puting a strip of colored racing tape on the windsheild.

this seems like a much more reasonable solution than requiring a certain color for the whole banner

For now, I believe the decals will be the black font on white background (square) so there should be necessary to change the color scheme. I do, however, like the idea of having the .eps file so that I can get it included in a number plate, or sized to my liking. I will see if we can make this available with the publishing of the new site.

Nice! I'm going to make a number plate regardless, because I think it just 'looks' better, and is easier to read. The layout will probably be similar to CCA CR: Race series on top (in this case, probably the NASA logo), numbers in the middle, class on the bottom (GTSX).

Numbers on the front and rear: on the glass or body?

Thanks! Looking forward to the madness!

Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me, as I'll know who's in my class. I'm just throwing out suggestions as it was talked about in the past. And I'm working out the colors and graphics for the new car...

I know that I can't assume someone will let me by, especially if they are in a battle of their own, but if they are running by themselves, and I am trying to catch someone else, it will be pretty annoying to have someone blocking me because they don't know/can't tell what class I'm in.

For colors I was thinking:

GTSU - Silver

GTS5 - Black

GTS4 - Red

GTS3 - Yellow

GTS2 - White

GTS1 - Blue

I'm always open to other ideas.