• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ianacole

• RSCoupe

• Eric W.

• FandangoDrew

I (yet again) propose colored mirrors to help with class identification.

Good idea. But, some of us may not have exposed mirrors.

I do like the windshield stripe idea also.

Damon in STL

Close like "they'll be available at the track in Houston 2 weeks from now for the Texas Region's first race" or some other kind of close?

Update: Yes, by hook or crook There was a problem converting the Illustrator file to a vector file, but I was informed that the issue has been resolved and the file is off at the printer. John will get decals to you in time for your event.

We will be making the files available for everyone to use.

Stay tuned for a website update!

Not sure if this counts as a highjacked thread or not , but my point at the get go was making our GTS makings more recognizable to spectators (as well as HPED and ED drivers who have yet to pick their future race cars), and somehow it had become yet another debate about interclass markings.

Again my point is that nobody watching a mixed group can tell which cars are GTS.

I don't know the base size of the decal being produced and distributed, but with the file being available competitors are able to create a decal at a size they wish. I know I will be making it big enough so my class is easily distinguishable from the stands.

For 2010, with an approved rule change, we can certainly adopt the TT style class marking requirements - numbers a minimum of 10" tall, with class designations no smaller than 4".

I don't know the base size of the decal being produced and distributed, but with the file being available competitors are able to create a decal at a size they wish. I know I will be making it big enough so my class is easily distinguishable from the stands.

I like the bigger stickers you did and I could do some for myself too which would make ME more recognizable but I do think it would be nice to have a uniform marking for the all the GTS guys that is big enough to be seen. We are a great looking (the best looking) group of cars and I am proud to be a part of it.

For colors I was thinking:

GTSU - Silver

GTS5 - Black

GTS4 - Red

GTS3 - Yellow

GTS2 - White

GTS1 - Blue

I'm always open to other ideas.

We talked about the idea of colored banners on the windshield a while ago. I think it's a great idea. I do think however, that they need to be colors that are easy to see by us and by spectators. For that reason, I would be inclined not to have either silver or black as they would be almost impossible to see. How about orange and green in their places? Both can be had in bright tape and/or vinyl.

I have the vector file (.ai) in my possession now. If anyone needs it before the new website is online please PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

GTSU - Silver

GTS5 - Black

GTS4 - Red

GTS3 - Yellow

GTS2 - White

GTS1 - Blue

We talked about the idea of colored banners on the windshield a while ago. I think it's a great idea. I do think however, that they need to be colors that are easy to see by us and by spectators. For that reason, I would be inclined not to have either silver or black as they would be almost impossible to see. How about orange and green in their places? Both can be had in bright tape and/or vinyl.

That's fine with me, as long as I get a cool color, like red.

The only reason I picked black was to go with the red and yellow (german flag).

How about:

GTSU - Red

GTS5 - Orange

GTS4 - Yellow

GTS3 - Green

GTS2 - Blue

GTS1 - Purple

That way it's easy to figure out for both racers and spectators. It's a rainbow (or color spectrum depending on how nerdy you are... ultraviolet is cold/slow, infrared is hot/fast).

White is like silver/black. It blends in too much with common car colors.

How about:

GTSU - Red

GTS5 - Orange

GTS4 - Yellow

GTS3 - Green

GTS2 - Blue

GTS1 - Purple

That way it's easy to figure out for both racers and spectators. It's a rainbow (or color spectrum depending on how nerdy you are... ultraviolet is cold/slow, infrared is hot/fast).

White is like silver/black. It blends in too much with common car colors.

I think that red and orange, and blue and purple, are too close in color and will be hard to tell apart at speed.

So, my limited Illustrator skills came up with this:

2ic1qj5.jpg

I LIKE IT. As much as I already like my numbers...... that does have a flare to it!

So, my limited Illustrator skills came up with this:

2ic1qj5.jpg

I LIKE IT. As much as I already like my numbers...... that does have a flare to it!

+1

That's exactly what I had in mind. Very nice!

I'd be happy to put these together for anyone that wants a number plate (send me the number, class, and your email address), and I'll send you the .ai file, the .eps file for the printer, and a .jpg file. The actual plate is around 11.5x14" in size.

Close like "they'll be available at the track in Houston 2 weeks from now for the Texas Region's first race" or some other kind of close?

Update: Yes, by hook or crook There was a problem converting the Illustrator file to a vector file, but I was informed that the issue has been resolved and the file is off at the printer. John will get decals to you in time for your event.

We will be making the files available for everyone to use.

Stay tuned for a website update!

Cool. Thanks, Ian!

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is in real-life, the new GTS plate on my 911. I stopped by my shop tonight an they had finished up the doors of the car. I just had my phone with me to take a picture. I'll take better images with my camera next visit. I really stands out - thanks again Ian!

Plate.jpg

GTSU - Silver

GTS5 - Black

GTS4 - Red

GTS3 - Yellow

GTS2 - White

GTS1 - Blue

I love the number plates, but some cars (I'm thinking of mine here) have the numbers already a key part of the graphics. Personally, I'd rather not eat up any more space with numbers. So, I say if you want to use those great looking number plates, go for it, but let's also re-visit the idea of a band of color across the windshield.

And, let's make this easy. If we choose colors available in duct, er, racer's tape, and specify that it should be a band the width of a strip of tape, then it gets really easy to manage. We, the GTS Directors, can have six rolls of tape and, presto, the identification system is good to go.

Here's a central source of tape: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/2724/Supplies_Tape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best (which is to say, easiest to recognize at a distance) colors here are yellow, blue, orange, red, white and purple. Since, as was already pointed out, red and orange are the most likely to be mistaken for one another, let's use orange for GTS1 and red for GTSU. If you're fighting for third place in GTS1 and can't tell that the 911 GT3 closing on you with about 50mph in hand is not in your class, well, you've got bigger problems.

So, I propose this:

GTS1: Orange

GTS2: White

GTS3: Blue

GTS4: Yellow

GTS5: Purple

GTSU: Red

Further, as long as I'm making up arbitrary rules, I think we should require a band of whichever color across both the front and rear windows. In the front, it goes where it fits, which is probably either at the top or across the bottom of your existing window banner. In the rear, put it all the way at the top unless you have a banner there, in which case, put it beneath that one, too. If other graphics need to overlap, I don't see a problem with that as long as the color is easily recognized.

Okay...take your shots.

I am really confused by the need to have color identification for classes. Don't you guys talk to one another in the paddock between races? Don't you already know who is in your class?

Granted we only had about 15 GTS cars in our last race, but I knew where everyone was classed without special markings. I propose we simply make a point to meet the people we race with in our class and remember what their cars look like. Look at the time sheets from practice and quali, you'll know who is going to be near you in the race. Its not that tough.

The number plate looks great, but that should be optional. Let's stay focus one the classification and competition rules, not what cars look like.

I am really confused by the need to have color identification for classes. Don't you guys talk to one another in the paddock between races? Don't you already know who is in your class?

Granted we only had about 15 GTS cars in our last race, but I knew where everyone was classed without special markings. I propose we simply make a point to meet the people we race with in our class and remember what their cars look like. Look at the time sheets from practice and quali, you'll know who is going to be near you in the race. Its not that tough.

The number plate looks great, but that should be optional. Let's stay focus one the classification and competition rules, not what cars look like.

I think this may have started due to Nationals, where you don't have time to meet everybody in all the classes, from all the different regions, much less remember what their car looks like.

It would also help regionally for people/cars that come in from other regions. Sure you'll probably meet the new person in your own class, but not necessarily from other classes. You may not even know they are there until sometime Sunday.

And I doubt the visiter will be able to meet and remember all the local cars/drivers.

I don't understand the opposition to this. I'm going to be a rookie this year and anything that will allow me and everyone else to focus a little more on what's going on would be a great help. Has nothing to do with knowing who's in my class. What's the skin off your back to have a piece of colored tape on your wind screen?

I agree that the GTS group here in the GL/MW knows one another pretty well and most of us make the effort to get to know a new face/car then they show up at the track. For me, the current yellow class number on the front and back window has worked well and I have never had an issue with class identification on the track. That said, if the consensus opinion is we should upgrade the system to make it clearer, especially for new racers, I have no problem with that. I think Scott Good's suggestion of using racer's tape is the best I've heard so far.......it's cheap, effective and flexible based upon current front window banner configurations. BTW, welcome to the group Kyle.

Brad

I don't understand the opposition to this. I'm going to be a rookie this year and anything that will allow me and everyone else to focus a little more on what's going on would be a great help. Has nothing to do with knowing who's in my class. What's the skin off your back to have a piece of colored tape on your wind screen?

No skin off my back at all, if required to do it I would. But I see it as the equivalent of putting an R and an L on my shoes so I know which one goes where. Just not necessary. By the time a car is close enough to me to see the color of their tape, if I have not identified them yet I probably should not be racing.

I think Nationals is an exception. Great idea since there are many visitors. But for Regional events, how many visitors or rookies do you really have in a given week? They have to check in with the Regional Director anyway (submit log book and dyno sheet), just introduce them at the meeting you should be having at the beginning of the weekend.