Who said you couldn't buy a BIW 2005 Mustang?

mwilson7

These guys flip flop more than John Kerry!

Also note that you must fill out an application and be approved so hopefully there will be some sort of requirment for actually racing the car......

I owe steve a 6 pack, until they change their minds

What are they going for $?$?

I don't know and It doesn't list a price. I think if they choose you to get a car they tell you then.

If somebody knows please tell....

From what i got out of FRPP, their marketing manager has suggested they are going to be priced for around 4-5K and currently have 50 to sell.

The 15K engine I believe is the full "cammer" setup in the 2004 FRPP catalog. Which is includes everything a brand new mustang would offer such as AC, and Computer.

Unlike Previous BIW which were essentally factory rejects to some level and were offered at around 2-,2500.00. These are brand new bodies off the line at AAI with no defects.

New 2005 Mustang body in the Works....

Have to ask. does this mean you have a 05 BIW or your trying to get one.

5K sounds a little high. who knows maybe at that price you'll get bumpers and glassheadlights and tailights .If not you 'd probably be better purchasing a new 6cyl or gt and stripping it . Figure first 4 months it will be pretty hard to source parts untill they start showing up at salvage yards.

Yes I'll be sourcing out one after the new year with a couple projects I have in the works. Of course sema and pri being the big shows for next year. But like you mentioned yourself trying to get anything out of the ford/sema group or even frpp right now for R&D is a pain in the rear end.

or if I can work out a deal with Ford/sema group I'll just get a new GT and strip from there.

The prices are high because these have no defects in them unlike the previous BIW program where DAP had a program with Classic design and george was selling these things out.

Yes I'll be sourcing out one after the new year with a couple projects I have in the works. Of course sema and pri being the big shows for next year. But like you mentioned yourself trying to get anything out of the ford/sema group or even frpp right now for R&D is a pain in the rear end.

or if I can work out a deal with Ford/sema group I'll just get a new GT and strip from there.

The prices are high because these have no defects in them unlike the previous BIW program where DAP had a program with Classic design and george was selling these things out.

So can we look forward to another Project Nighthawk, or Project Nighthawk 2!!!

You can try if you want... But why repeat a name.

I mean I've produce 3 other sema vehicles since and never used the name, helped Build sema booths for several years now. I don't know why your panties are in a bunch...

Welcome to come find me this year at sema putting the ford booth together, if you need tickets to the dinner I would be more then happy to supply with some. We got the beach boys playing this year for the dinner.

Steve,

If you do decide to build yet another one, I recommend finding a different cage builder. Ryan F. wasn't real impressed with welds on the first one. Gene, thanks again for the use of your welder! I still owe you a spool of wire.

who did you have do your cage? Seems to be tuff and with a great deal of indecision on who is good and whom is not good at building casges. Since majority of the generic setups such as autopower, which produces good product may not be "legal".

Steve,

If you do decide to build yet another one, I recommend finding a different cage builder. Ryan F. wasn't real impressed with welds on the first one. Gene, thanks again for the use of your welder! I still owe you a spool of wire.

mick, I've heard all about it .I'm sorry the car wasn't up to being legal because of the welds not being complete. This was my fault for not removing the roof and doing it 100% correct. being my first car and NASA AI OH/IND MIDWEST inspecting the car and passing it with a log book ready to race. I thought it was truly good to go.

Like I said my apologies And I hope no hard feelings.

Steve

Edited by Guest

who did you have do your cage? Seems to be tuff and with a great deal of indecision on who is good and whom is not good at building casges. Since majority of the generic setups such as autopower, which produces good product may not be "legal".

Myself and a good friend.... lesson learned. unfortunaly at the exspense of someone else.

No hard feelings. I had a few choice words that morning, but luckily Gene

had brought a welder and I spent the better part of Friday and a spool

of wire crawling around the inside of the car. I may not look pretty but it

is definitely now a solid cage.

Good glad that is out of the way. I saw the fender bender with Dean Smeltzer sorry to see it happen .Let me know if I can help with any parts needed for the car.

Have most the parts, just need time to do it. Originally the goal was to

make Putnam, but I decided to take my time and make a few modifications while the motor was out.

Buy the way, congrats on becoming a parent. Hope all is well.

A question was brought up by a local Texas AI racer about using BIW's to build a racecar ( specifically, an AI/AIX car ).

His question:

In the AI rules, there is a line, 4 a that states that the cars that are eligible are certified by the United States Department of Transportation for street use at there date of manufacture.

But the BIW's that I have seen you can not title and drive for street use...?

2004 NASA American Iron rules, Section 4, Eligible Manufacturers/Models/Configurations:

a) All 1960 through present, American-made vehicles certified by the United States Department of Transportation for street use at their date of manufacture.

Through the 2004 model year, Mustangs sold as BIW were NOT allowed to be titled for street use - they were manufacturing "cast offs", and don't have a VIN. ( I'm using the Mustang as an example, as that's the most commonly used BIW platform to date, but the question could pertain to ANY vehicle sold as a BIW ).

IMO, there are 2 ways to look at this:

1. Since the [insert model year] Mustang was approved by the DOT for street use, a [insert model year] Mustang BIW is eligible.

2. Since a [insert model year] Mustang BIW doesn't have a VIN, can't be titled for street use, therefore it's ineliglble for use in the series.

Talk amongst ya selves.....

But the 2004 Mustang is certified for street use. The idea here is that a home made tube frame car isn't eligible.

Does that make sense? I don't believe the rule is for an individual car but instead for the "family" of vehicle.

Where do you find the rules in a format that you can cut and past them?

Good point Adam, but I think we all know, understand, and accept that Adam's Option #1 is in fact the right answer. Do we need to spell it out in the rules? Maybe.

Remember, when in doubt: Clarify & Enforce.

In my view, just because parts of a car (in this case, the body and frame assembly) were manufacturing "rejects", doesn't mean that the parts can't be used to build a Mustang. If a hood had a crack in the paint, and the plant rejected it and never put it on a car with a VIN, is it then an illegal part?

For 2005 on, the BIWs won't be the rejects that they were pre-2004. Regardless, they're still Mustang BIWs, and are still legal, regardless of their VIN status.

Also, I don't believe anywhere in the rules it says that a car MUST have a valid OEM-assigned VIN, does it?

In retrospect, I shouldn't have even brought up the aspect of BIW's not having a VIN, nor titling them for street use - it's not in the rules.

Mark - your answer was part of what I was looking for. A BIW is still a Mustang, and the DOT certified that make/model of car for street use.

As for the cut and paste work - I have a full copy of Adobe loaded on my laptop which provides the ability to copy and paste directly out of PDF's into any document/application. I use it almost daily as a part of my job - creating technical/installation documentation for various projects that I work on. Some of our projects are a first time ever/custom installation/integration, and require documentation for service later on down the road.

Scott - I don't believe comparing a hood/fender to the chassis is correct. The chassis is what defines whether or not a vehicle is legal for ANY race class, not just AI/AIX.

However, I am in complete agreement with your statement:

Remember, when in doubt: Clarify & Enforce.

For the majority of the '05 rules, that is what needs to be done.

I just got an email yesterday telling me that my application has been accepted.

I just don't know if it's the smart thing to do since there's not going to be any parts available for quite a few months. I guess I would have to skip next years racing to do it and I don't know if it would be worth doing that or not.

What to do, what to do?