S2000 TIRES AND WHEELS

Darrel

I'm new to HPDE and have done 1 year of autocross. I have a stock 2004 S2000. I am looking to by R comp tires and wheels. I am looking for comments from other S2000 owners of what they have done as far as wheel size and manufacturer and the same with tires. I am stongly leaning toward Hoosiers but don't know much about the difference between the R1 and the A1. Any comments and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darrel Hamilton

2004 S2000

If you are new to HPDE, I would stay away from R compounds for a least a few events. I started using falken rt615s that I carried over from autocross and they were great. They had great grip and they gave you plenty of warning before they let go.

Hoosier makes the R6 for road course racing, the A6 for autocross.

jumping away from streets too soon can ingrain some bad habits that are much harder to shed off later. You're not competing or running for fast lap times so save the money by running the longer wearing street tires as well

when you're ready, I find the RA1 is a good "inbetween" tire, would be worth running through a set before transitioning to the Purple Crack (aka the Hoosier Rs)

jumping away from streets too soon can ingrain some bad habits that are much harder to shed off later. You're not competing or running for fast lap times so save the money by running the longer wearing street tires as well

when you're ready, I find the RA1 is a good "inbetween" tire, would be worth running through a set before transitioning to the Purple Crack (aka the Hoosier Rs)

+1 on the RA1, that what I am running now but I have about 20 track days under my belt. Are they going to discontinue the RA1 this year?

But when you do get to the point where you are ready for DOT R tires....

The Kumho 710 works for autox and road course.

As soon as I did a season of road course went back and did 1 more time around the cones and it was totally um... boring

It does teach you great car control tho.. at safer speeds.

Well in your first post you said you were new to HPDE but your sig says you are TTU? Its all up to you. If you feel ready for r compounds, go for it. What we are saying here that first starting in HPDE is focused on the basics and driving the right line, not super fast lap times.