Modifications/Rules question

Hegemony

Couple of questions on items that I don't see specifically addressed in the rules for GTS, that are allowed elsewhere (both inside and outisde of NASA.) Did a search on these and didn't find anything directly applicable.

1) Floorpan modification to allow side-exhaust ala some BMW PTG race cars. Is this allowed or no? I.E. if someone bought one of these cars and brought it to race in GTS, would it be allowed? On a similar token, would a non-PTG car with a simliar modification be allowed? I believe this is allowed in the American Iron series, but don't see it addressed in GTS rules.

2) On an E36 BMW, removal of the spare tire well in the rear. Allowed or no? Some other race classes allow this.

Not an official answer:

If it doesn't violate the NASA CCRs, it's pretty much anything goes for mods. IIRC, CCRs have a rule about exhaust exit relative to the driver's window.

I don't know what the PTG exhaust you are refering to looks like. There is at least one GTS4 BMW with the exhaust exit on the side through (not under) the body.

Not an official answer:

If it doesn't violate the NASA CCRs, it's pretty much anything goes for mods.

Yep, spot on. We are a weight to HP (average of HP and TQ if TQ is higher than HP) regulated class, all else is free and clear (as long as it complies with the CCR).

IIRC, CCRs have a rule about exhaust exit relative to the driver's window.

I thought so too, but I've searched and can't find anything...

Side exhaust is fine, just get a good set of earplugs!!!!

Consider this. Hard to quell the decimal level as there isn't much room for a sound deadening device like a muffler. This could be a potential problem down the road if you ever end up at a track the adheres to strict db levels.

Thanks all.

Is the tire well removal common as well? If allowed, I would think it would be.

Any one cross over to PT classes or have any opinions, official or otherwise, about potential cross over problems with these two mods?

• National Staff
Thanks all.

Is the tire well removal common as well? If allowed, I would think it would be.

Any one cross over to PT classes or have any opinions, official or otherwise, about potential cross over problems with these two mods?

Yes, you will have PT crossover problems with those mods. There is no modification of the OEM floorpan permitted in PT. It would require a specific waiver approval.