restraint helmets

atticshade

I have been running HPDE for awhile and I'm upgrading my car (300ZX) with a rollbar and cage. Am I going overboard with wanting to upgrade my helmet to something with a restraint? I know HPDE is not racing but some of the tracks have close walls and if something happens, I'd feel stupid not protecting myself.

If I do, has anybody had any experience with the G force restraint system?

Thanks for any comments.

No. While a head and neck restraint system is not a requirement, I think you'll be seeing it more and more often, even in HPDE and TT.

As for the G Force system, I don't know. However, I do know where you could get a good deal on a HANS with only a few events on it. PM me if you're interested.

I think with some of the recent events and tragedies in this sport, even at the hobby level of HDPE and TT, a lot more people are thinking about safety. Before too long, I would not be surprised if you see anyone in DE3 or higher with some serious safety gear in the car. I see a lot more trailered in, and well protected cars now in DE3 and up than when I first started. If you can do it, do it. Better to be safe, and well protected.

I've been thinking about doing it also. I already have a half cage and five point harness and as soon as I can scrape up the money I will get some sort of Head and Neck restraint and a better helmet.

Am I going overboard with wanting to upgrade my helmet to something with a restraint?

Lets analyze the above statement....basically you are asking if it is overboard to add safety equipment? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

You can never be too safe, even in DE. Heck, I even went out in a few DE's in full firesuit.

If I was doing it all over again, anytime I climb into a car, DE or not, if it is on the track I am in full gear.

not familiar with the G-force, but I do love my R3

there is some good low-bias data here as well, and more over on Trackpedia.com:

http://www.am-rennsport.com/HNR.html

pick what fits your prefrences and your car situation the best - sometimes its HANS, sometimes its something else and to beat the dead horse there isn't any problem with going beyond the minimum standard - don't let the minimal standards be your standards

As for the G Force system, I don't know. However, I do know where you could get a good deal on a HANS with only a few events on it. PM me if you're interested.

Jump all over that.

I have a race-ready car and I go out in full gear at all track events. I figure that since I already own it, it would be crazy not to wear it.

+1

Even way back in my late-night street racing days, I would wear my helmet and 5-point harness (it was quite the source of entertainment for the rednecks), since it would be dumb to 86 myself without them when all of the safety gear was less than a foot away.

Mark

Thanks for the support. It's funny when I bring up safety equipment to the wife, she starts to think that what I do is dangerous, duh! I'm starting to think I need to check if she has more life insurance policies on me!

I even get strange comments when I wear my fire suit at Sebring in June and I'm basically a Time Trial sweat machine in that outfit, but since I own the stuff, I might as well use it...

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like everyone pretty much agrees the more safety equipment, the better. We just moved our shoulder harness mounting points on our Radical so we could use a Hans Device. Better safe then sorry.

Feff

Hey Feff,

Why don't you come out and do some NASA HPDE and / or Time Trials?

The dates don't conflict with your MVP events and it would be great to have the Radical in the mix.

When i first started using a Hans i felt like a horse in a bridle..LOL!

But got use to it really quickly. Now they come with sliding tethers which make all the difference in

left -to- right-to -left head movement.

Feel very vulnerable when i DON'T wear it now- which is only when I'm instructing someone who does not have harnesses.

We dump sh*tloads of money into the cars for upgrades, this is a good investment toward personal safety.

Hey Feff,

Why don't you come out and do some NASA HPDE and / or Time Trials?

The dates don't conflict with your MVP events and it would be great to have the Radical in the mix.

I'd like to get to several tracks/events we (www.MVPTrackTime.com) aren't hosting this year, but my real career is extremely busy right now. Like to get to Bluegrass and Eagles Canyon among others.

When i first started using a Hans i felt like a horse in a bridle..LOL!

But got use to it really quickly. Now they come with sliding tethers which make all the difference in left -to- right-to -left head movement.

Feel very vulnerable when i DON'T wear it now- which is only when I'm instructing someone who does not have harnesses. We dump sh*tloads of money into the cars for upgrades, this is a good investment toward personal safety.

Sort of like when seatbelt use became law. Hated it at first while in college (I'd actually take off the seat belt when I crossed the state line into Missouri which didn't have a seat belt law at the time - BRILLIANT) but now it's the 2nd thing I do after starting the car.

Feff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow...I didn't know that Isaac is 2 blocks from where I work. I might just have to go check them out one day next week.

Mark

Keep in mind the ISAAC is not NASA or SCCA approved for W2W.

You are half right. NASA requires SFI, SCCA has no regulations, only a "recommendation".

There isn't such a thing as having to much safety equipment!

The second track event that i did was at VIR with my HIGHLY modified Toyota Supra and i started to think about what could happen at 140+ mph with just a helmet and seat belt. I didnt like the thoughts that came into me head!

So.....i bought a stock 99 vette and had a full cage, seats and harnesses put in it. I then bought a HANS. Some people may say that its overkill for HPDE stuff but IF something bad happens i want to be as prepared as i possible can!!

Keep in mind the ISAAC is not NASA or SCCA approved for W2W.

You are half right. NASA requires SFI, SCCA has no regulations, only a "recommendation".

That's 1/2 more than usual according to my wife.