What is the best "100% bone stock" HPDE car?

NVR2L8

Mark, Matt,

I would agree with you. I have a 70 Porsche 220 hp and have gone through many HPDE days at the track. I now have my Rookie lic and will be out on the track with my new GTS buddies. I would not trade my car for any of the high horse powered riggs. the only time those drivers can try to catch me is in the straight aways. if you learn to drive the line, balance your car through the turns and not afraid of a little extra throttle through the corners those big horse power cars dont have a chance. so my pick is the Spec. 944, 911 or Miata you cant go wrong...

Rick

#91 GTS3

2009 Rookie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TurboShortBus

• mcmmotorsports

• kbrew8991

• NVR2L8

IF you should choose a 944 and IF you are in the SE Region, I will be more than happy to help your son in any way shape or form with his progression from DE'er to 944-SPEC racer. If you are not in the SE region but still choose the 944 route, let me know, I will let you know which 944-SPEC director you should get up with. Trust me, the 944 platform is a wonderful choice even though it wasn't on your list. RWD, almost perfect 50/50 balance, great handling in stock trim and unmatched reliability. Not to mention, real easy on brakes and tires which keep the costs down too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stock '03 350z Touring. I have put 15+ HPDE weekends in it without any problem. The car has 86,000 miles on it. I just keep changing all the fluids. (oil, diff, tranny, brake, wiper)

I purchased and extra set of wheels for the track 245s at all 4 corners. Removes some of the understeer from the staggered wheel set up. Upgraded the braking system to Project Mu HC+ Brake pads with ATE Gold Brake fluid and stainless lines. That investment made a huge difference.

Car runs great!

If you buy a kid anything with more than 150hp, you are asking for trouble. Get a civic.

I have to agree with that 100%. Start slow, and cheap, there are good RWD cheap cars out there. Too much HP for a young kid, and trouble can happen, and at a much faster rate. Once they show the ability to handle that car, and get all they can out of it, then they can move up.

I love my RX-8, less than 200 hp to the rear wheels, very easy to drive, controllable, and fun. Parts are not on the cheap for most things, and modifications are limited and can be pricey since their availability is limited. I have done 13 weekends, and had no mechanical issues. Just tires, brake pads and fluids.

Actually an E36 325 would be a great first Track/Daily driver.

It's rear wheel drive, the aftermarket is huge, the car can be made to handle great. You can do 80% of the work yourself. Large base of people who know how to set up the car.

ALSO, if you go to almost any track event you'll find about 5 E36s at any time...you have a good chance of finding a spare anything.

Oh did I mention their cheap.

ALSO, if you go to almost any track event you'll find about 50 E36s at any time...you have a good chance of finding a spare anything.

Fixed that for ya

I'll jump on the "my choice of car is the best" bandwagon, too and throw my hat in the ring for a mazda.

I would really suggest a miata. It's been said before in this thread but too much horsepower for a young kid is dangerous. As much as you want to think the world of your son, I'm sure he's a great kid, he's still a kid.

If you want something sexier the Pontiac solstice would be comperable-ish to a miata. But I know adapting a roll bar is not as easy, it doesn't have nearly the aftermarket support yet, and wear items will be more expensive as they come heavier and with larger tires from the factory.

Maybe check out the newer mx-5 miata's. With MX-5 cup there is a ton of knowledge out there on the car, just like the old Miatas.

I would back up the 944 guys but you did say you want something stock and reliable. Not knocking the Porsche, but it is a 20+ year old car. It will, in general, take more wrenching and have more wear items coming to the end of their life than something ~5 years old. As has been agreed on by everyone the kid needs seat time, not wrench time.

Now that i'm 25 apparently I'm not a kid and can talk like I know something, lulz.

I can't believe it took up to page 3 for someone to suggest an E36 BMW. You can consider an M3 or non-M3 e36. Perfect balance, front engine, rear wheel drive. Simple and easy to work on.. There are tons of resources, information, knowledge about these cars in the context of tracking.. parts are not too expensive and are easily acessible, lots of options for racing classes, and as has already been mentioned, the e36 seems to be the most frequently seen car at a track event for at least 5 years going now...

Biggest benefit of the M3 over non M cars is the rear LSD.

E36s require some preventative maintenance so if you do consider one of these, you may want to spring for a car which has already seen the track and has been maintained accordingly, versus grandmas 328i 5 spd which was not regularly serviced.

Good luck to the both of you.

A 2008 Mustang for your first de car....... WoW can you be my dad. . I'm just jealous

I'm not that BMW savy I would like to see some pic's of your race E36

Rick

911 GTS-3 rookie

E36s require some preventative maintenance so if you do consider one of these, you may want to spring for a car which has already seen the track and has been maintained accordingly, versus grandmas 328i 5 spd which was not regularly serviced.

Dude whoose grandma drives a 5 spd! Mine has issues with the A/C and Heated Seats!

A Radical SR3 needs nothing to be track worthy and it's the most fun I've ever had on the track.

Feff

except a healthy bank account and some serious man bearings.

except a healthy bank account and some serious man bearings.

TR:

Pre-owned Radicals have come down nicely in price the last 1-2 years and if you don't bang it off the rev limiter constantly, the engine is good for 4 seasons. Rebuilds for engine $2,500+ depending on how fast you need to go.

Feff

• 7 months later...

I'm new to NASA but not to driving, every time I get in my WRX (09) I am amazed. It rarely gets out of shape, is predictable at the limit, and can be flogged without fear in rain, sleet, or snow and has a tough drivers cage from the factory. Need more power? Just dial in some boost and a tune and you are golden. Wouldnt trade back to any of my 500hp+ Mustmaros for anything! This is what my kid will drive when he is old enough. It is amusing driving a car with almost 400 hp (mine aint stock) that sounds like a vacum cleaner/weedeater and looks like a Yugo .

• 1 month later...

My MINI Cooper is 100% stock except for front brake pads and upgraded street tires and I've been doing DEs/open track/lapping days with it for years.....it's been bulletproof. It's not an S so it's not really fast but it's a riot....it's pictured on the September 2010 page of the new Grassroots Motorsports calendar in the December issue.

Gary

Early Miata, Civic or CRX, E30 325is, MR2 even early E36 325is all could be found for under $3,500 and cheap parts can be found at local junkyards, local classifieds or RockAuto.com and all got pretty good aftermarket as well. Decent tires (like older cheaper RS2, RT-615s, etc) and springs would do good for HPDE too

Most important: And fairly cheap insurance for a 16 year old kid, too

• 1 year later...

I just joined the board, I know this is an old post. I am reading all I can.

Damn near fell put of my chair on the Radical/man bearings post Lmao.

As far as the best car, no love for sn95 chassis Mustang? A whole 220 HP in the 94-95 model, parts falling out of trees, huge supermarket base.

Also dirt cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as the best car, no love for sn95 chassis Mustang? A whole 220 HP in the 94-95 model, parts falling out of trees, huge supermarket base.

Also dirt cheap.

I love me some SN95 Mustang, for those reasons (and others). Besides, I have owned the same one for 16+ years (and several since then), so I know my way around the platform.

Mark

if it wasn't for the whole "trying to make an elephant dance" thing I'd add the SN95 Mustang to the recommended list...

- KB, reformed Mustang owner

if it wasn't for the whole "trying to make an elephant dance" thing I'd add the SN95 Mustang to the recommended list...

Dude, that is messed up.

McM, reformed Mustang owner x2

Is driving a dog-slow Mister Two in TTF the next step for me, then?

Mark