Rim question

AMorgan

I'm planning to run HPDE and as far as I can tell, short of some maintenance, i'm pretty much ready to go; however, I do have one rim with some curb rash on it. It runs nice and true and short of a cosmetic blem, it's pretty much perfect. Will I be allowed on track like this or will I need to replace the rim first?

• National Staff

Jason, you beat me by less than a minute. Hey, I thought that Corvette wheels had to be pretty before they are let out on track?

Jason, you beat me by less than a minute. Hey, I thought that Corvette wheels had to be pretty before they are let out on track?

I gave up cleaning brake dust and powdercoated them black.

Stupid semantics question. I've read through part of the CCR (it's been a while since I've read that much) and looking over the HPDE page is says when I use modified, parts, I must follow CCR procedure for them, but say I get a seat, will I then need a cage, harnesses, etc. or can I just follow the CCR for proper seat installation? Additionally, if i'm running a racing steering wheel, so I need all the associated safety gear (seat, cage, etc) so can I run just a racing wheel. I was planning to get a seat and wheel soonish, but a cage is probably going to wait until next winter. The wheel I can wait on, but the seat in my car sucks on the road, so I was hoping to get me something to hold me in place a little better.

The wheel shouldn't matter- you won't need a cage or harness for that.

As far as the seat goes, if you install a seat that is not designed to be compatible with traditional 3-point seat belts then you will need a properly rated and properly mounted 5-point (minimum) harness and a cage in most occasions.

The wheel shouldn't matter- you won't need a cage or harness for that.

As far as the seat goes, if you install a seat that is not designed to be compatible with traditional 3-point seat belts then you will need a properly rated and properly mounted 5-point (minimum) harness and a 4 point rollbar at least in most occasions.

fixed - and prob what I'd look at doing

Cool, i'll probably grab a wheel and then wait til winter for a seat, etc. I can't afford a cage right now, and for the price of a 4 point for my car, it's not worth buying twice.

Depending on the car, you can get a race seat and a harness bar and hook your belts to that. Alot cheaper and doesn't require gutting the car/taking it off the street to install.

Yeah, sparco makes one, i've seen them starting to go cheaper (300ish) used. I may look into one here soon. Stripping the car isn't a problem, it's basically just carpet and front seats now anyway. The car i'm working will only see street use to get me to HPDEs and occasionally driving it around to make sure everything is still working properly. I have a daily to get me around town. Thanks for the tips, guy. Seats still a bit out of the budget right now anyway, need to get some good tires on the car and fix the clutch. Hopefully she'll be back at 100% in the next month or two. I'm waiting for my motorcycle to sell so I can pull her in the garage and get the motor out.

Some people think harness bars are a bad idea, and strongly recommend a 4-point rollbar instead.

Worst case scenario: car becomes inverted, roof crushes downward, occupants are pinned into the seats by harnesses, but without a main hoop behind 'em to help keep the roof up.

Just putting it out there...

I can definitely see the concern there. I think Autopower has a bolt in option for my car as well. Although at the price tag that comes in at, I think i'd prefer to wait for a weld in unit. The seat will hold fine until next year when I can get the cage put in properly.

Some people think harness bars are a bad idea, and strongly recommend a 4-point rollbar instead.

Worst case scenario: car becomes inverted, roof crushes downward, occupants are pinned into the seats by harnesses, but without a main hoop behind 'em to help keep the roof up.

Just putting it out there...

I've been upside down in a car with no rollbar, and no seat belt. I'll take being strapped in securely every time.

I wasn't suggesting not being strapped in securely, I was suggesting that harnesses (and seats for that matter) should be installed with some sort of rollover protection instead of just a harness bar.

well about the rollcage/seat/harness Q...

If you're running with an instructor in the car I believe they won't allow you to have only ONE race seat as you need to allow them the same comfort as yourself.

I was allowed to use a race seat with stock belts in my Passat when I had that out on the track but I didn't have an instructor in it with me.

I'm sure tech would clear it up for you... just thought I'd note it though...

If you're running with an instructor in the car I believe they won't allow you to have only ONE race seat as you need to allow them the same comfort as yourself.
I ran HPDE-1 with a Kirkey seat for me and a stock Mustang seat for my instructor. They gave me a little lip for it ("I get the crappy seat, gee thanks"), but nobody really protested.

Mark

11.4.8 Seatbelts and Harnesses

The seatbelts should be in good condition. No damage may be present on the seatbelts

and they must be the factory configuration. Any harness or any restraint system, other

than factory stock, shall conform to CCR section #15.5, in all respects* except for the

expiration regulations. Harnesses that are expired for racing may be used providing that

they are in at least very good condition. The use of a lap belt without any shoulder

restraint is not permitted. Passenger seatbelts must meet the same minimum

requirements per the CCR as the driver seatbelts if being used by a passenger. Note: passenger

equipment need not match the installed equipment on the driver’s side.

*Aftermarket DOT-certified belt sets, installed to the manufacturer’s specifications may

be allowed. Proof of DOT certification and proper installation is the driver’s

responsibility.

Bold added for emphasis.

Oh man, thats at the instructor's discretion? I need to make sure they don't meet me 'til we're on track then... don't want to make them feel unsafe, hahaha.

most are pretty brave - think about it, you'd have to be to hop in some random schmoe's car and teach them how to drive fast.

Just don't push the unequal safety equipment allowance, it is in the CCRs that you don't have to but its good manners if you do

Well, if it goes down the way it seems to go down, i'll be riding solo in HPDE-2 before my cage and seat go in anyway. Looks like my instructor will actually have a little nicer seat than me from the get go, hahaha.