Took the plunge! '08 Mustang GT SVT - need graphics source

NVR2L8

OK, guys - for better or worse, I took the plunge and bought a new '08 Mustang GT SVT.

My flame suit is on, but I found a great deal on a car that is already set up the way I want it. All Ford Racing upgrades, including suspension, intake, exhaust and big brakes.

Now I need to find a source for some nice graphics. Nothing outrageous, just something to add some color, etc. The car is white, with the blue Shelby stripes.

I did a search, but no luck. So, who are goods sources for graphics?

Thanks

WHAAAAAAAT? White with blue Shelby stripes...that car is done, IMHO! If anything, Google some images of 1960s Shelby racers (maybe for a door number or something), but I don't think you need much more than that.

Mark

Grats on the purchase, but SVT was canned in 05. The last car they made was the 03-04 cobra.

do you mean this car:

Shelby_GT350_3.JPG

No SVT badges on this car...

Grats on the purchase, but SVT was canned in 05. The last car they made was the 03-04 cobra.

do you mean this car:

Shelby_GT350_3.JPG

No SVT badges on this car...

No, that is not the car. My car has dark blue stripes, but it is not a Shelby GT. The car I bought was advertised as a GT SVT, but I think that they were mainly just referring to the Ford Racing performance packages that were added. I will check it out to make sure, but it is more important that I get the equipment I want, regardless of the badging.

No, that is not the car. My car has dark blue stripes, but it is not a Shelby GT. The car I bought was advertised as a GT SVT, but I think that they were mainly just referring to the Ford Racing performance packages that were added. I will check it out to make sure, but it is more important that I get the equipment I want, regardless of the badging.

Probably just how he advertised it. I bet it came with the same suspension as the shelby GT and bullit mustang. They are slightly upgraded from the GT, along with the brakes and the engine has a different air intake for a couple more hp.

My car has an identity crisis too. It doesn't know if it is a GT, Cobra, Cobra R or Saleen:

picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=466

Main thing is you got the goodies you need!

= Probably just how he advertised it. I bet it came with the same suspension as the shelby GT and bullit mustang. They are slightly upgraded from the GT, along with the brakes and the engine has a different air intake for a couple more hp.

Actually, (not to be argumentative), the car has performance upgrades that exceed the Bullitt and Shelby GT by quite a bit, more towards the performance of the GT500 (except HP). Here is the list:

M-FR1-MGT Ford Racing Cold Air Kit.

M-5230-5GT Ford Racing 49 State Mufflers (3").

M-7210-T1 Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter (Hurst)

M-2300-S Ford Racing 14" Rotor 4 Piston Caliper Front Brake Upgrade Kit (Brembo).

M-11572-GT Ford Racing In Dash Push Button Start.

M-2005-FR3 Ford Racing Handling Pack.

M-1007-S1895B Ford Racing SVT 5 Lug Black Wheels 18" x 9.5" (same as GT500) wide with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Tires, 255-45ZR18 front tires, and 285-40ZR18 Rear tires.

= Probably just how he advertised it. I bet it came with the same suspension as the shelby GT and bullit mustang. They are slightly upgraded from the GT, along with the brakes and the engine has a different air intake for a couple more hp.

Actually, (not to be argumentative), the car has performance upgrades that exceed the Bullitt and Shelby GT by quite a bit, more towards the performance of the GT500 (except HP). Here is the list:

M-2300-S Ford Racing 14" Rotor 4 Piston Caliper Front Brake Upgrade Kit (Brembo).

M-1007-S1895B Ford Racing SVT 5 Lug Black Wheels 18" x 9.5" (same as GT500) wide with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Tires, 255-45ZR18 front tires, and 285-40ZR18 Rear tires.

Actually, bro, that's about the equivalent mod list of the Shelby GT or Bullitt. Sounds like a "dealership special"... Still a good list of stuff, for sure!

Bossman - Wicked ride! I'll show you mine when it's back in one shiny piece! It's got the same problem, too. It's an 87-04 GT or Cobra depending on what angle you see it at.

Actually, bro, that's about the equivalent mod list of the Shelby GT or Bullitt. Sounds like a "dealership special"... Still a good list of stuff, for sure!

Bossman - Wicked ride! I'll show you mine when it's back in one shiny piece! It's got the same problem, too. It's an 87-04 GT or Cobra depending on what angle you see it at.

Since I am admittedly new to the Mustang world (Corvette guy), I would respectfully ask you to tell me which of the following is NOT correct (my car vs. Shelby GT):

1. M-FR1-MGT Ford Racing Cold Air Kit. (SAME as Shelby GT).

2. M-5230-5GT Ford Racing 49 State Mufflers. (UPGRADED 3" mufflers, Shelby GT has 2.5").

3. M-2005-FR3 Ford Racing Handling Pack. (UPGRADED, Shelby GT uses the FR1 Handling Pack).

4. M-2300-S Ford Racing 14" Rotor 4 Piston Caliper Front Brake Upgrade Kit (Brembo). (UPGRADED, the Shelby GT has the stock GT brakes).

5. M-1007-S1895B Ford Racing SVT 5 Lug Black Wheels 18" x 9.5" (same as GT500) wide with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar Tires, 255-45ZR18 front tires, and 285-40ZR18 Rear tires. (UPGRADED, these are the wheels/tires from the GT500).

6. M-7210-T1 Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter (Hurst). (SAME as Shelby GT).

7. M-11572-GT Ford Racing In Dash Push Button Start. (NOT SURE).

In these tough economic times, Ford dealerships are doing everything they can to move cars. What you have just purchased is a 2008 Mustang GT that the "DEALER" has modified using off the shelf Ford Racing parts to entice a new potential owner with a more attractive Mustang GT. The car you have purchased is NOT an SVT, nor should the dealer have marketed it as such. As a former Mustang guy, I know of many shops that work with local dealers to modify new Mustangs and sell them to the public right off the showroom floor. Please keep in mind that while you have a lot of great parts there, if you are expecting this car to out perform a stock '05-current GT with purpose built road racing components (I.E. Maximum Motorsports, Steeda) you will be in for a rude awakening. BUT, If I remember correctly, this is the "bone stock" car that you have purchased for your 16 year old son looking to do HPDE's and will do just fine....actually, more car than a 16 year old needs to start DE'ing, but as long as whoever his instructor is keeps him in check, he will do just fine.

Back to your original question, the M-2005-FR3 handling pack IS the same as the Shelby GT and GTH (the Hertz rental package that started the whole Shelby GT craze again)

the http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8976

The 14" Brembos are a great upgrade, as the heavy arse GT needs as much brake as it can get.

If you haven't taken delivery yet, sit down with a calculator and add up all of the performance parts you are getting with this car, compare them to the "Road Race" specific performance parts from Maximum Motorsports and others, and see if you are getting a good deal on this car and not being swindled by a dealer looking to make some extra $$$ off of a left over '08 GT that they couldn't move.

Just looking out for a future racer.

Lets see some pics when you get them.

Well said, sir. You saved me the trouble of typing all that out. However...

... As a former Mustang guy,....

Traitor!!! lol

Ditto on the pics, though. I wanna see this thing.

However...

... As a former Mustang guy,....

Traitor!!! lol

Yeah, I miss my beloved '04 GT sulk.gif

mcm514blur.jpg

But, things happen for a reason and I will someday be behind the wheel of another Stang again.

In these tough economic times, Ford dealerships are doing everything they can to move cars. What you have just purchased is a 2008 Mustang GT that the "DEALER" has modified using off the shelf Ford Racing parts to entice a new potential owner with a more attractive Mustang GT. The car you have purchased is NOT an SVT, nor should the dealer have marketed it as such. As a former Mustang guy, I know of many shops that work with local dealers to modify new Mustangs and sell them to the public right off the showroom floor. Please keep in mind that while you have a lot of great parts there, if you are expecting this car to out perform a stock '05-current GT with purpose built road racing components (I.E. Maximum Motorsports, Steeda) you will be in for a rude awakening. BUT, If I remember correctly, this is the "bone stock" car that you have purchased for your 16 year old son looking to do HPDE's and will do just fine....actually, more car than a 16 year old needs to start DE'ing, but as long as whoever his instructor is keeps him in check, he will do just fine.

Back to your original question, the M-2005-FR3 handling pack IS the same as the Shelby GT and GTH (the Hertz rental package that started the whole Shelby GT craze again)

the http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 14" Brembos are a great upgrade, as the heavy arse GT needs as much brake as it can get.

If you haven't taken delivery yet, sit down with a calculator and add up all of the performance parts you are getting with this car, compare them to the "Road Race" specific performance parts from Maximum Motorsports and others, and see if you are getting a good deal on this car and not being swindled by a dealer looking to make some extra $$$ off of a left over '08 GT that they couldn't move.

Just looking out for a future racer.

Lets see some pics when you get them.

Michael -

Thanks a TON for your feedback. After going back and studying the specs on my car vs. the FRPP upgrades, I agree with your comments. It looks like I am getting a couple of performance "extras", including brakes and wheels/tires, but otherwise comparable to the Shelby GT base car.

However, the car also has the following appearance upgrades:

1. M-13208-LFR Ford racing Illuminated Sill Plates.

2. 10" wide stripe kit fully wrapped.

3. Painted Shelby Spoiler.

4. Painted Hood Scoop.

5. Painted Side Scoops.

6. Carbon Fiber Dash Kit.

7. Ford Racing Window Banner and rear quarter window decals.

8. Katzkin* Fully wrapped leather seats with blue suede accents.

For your reference, here is the specific listing on the car. As you can see, the car is advertised as a GT SVT, but it does say that the upgrades are dealer installed. Curious to me, however, is that the wheel center caps also indicate the SVT moniker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170299528910&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, for me this appeared to be a good option for a "turnkey" road car. You are also correct that I was looking for the best "bone stock" HPDE car for my son. I am sorry for the confusion, but buying a car that has been race prepped by a dealer (and with a warranty) meets my needs. I also requested suggestions in another thread on desirable upgrades for safety, and suspension and brakes were suggested. So if I had purchased a "bone stock" GT, I would have immediately upgraded the suspension and brakes. I saw this specific car as going a long way towards my goals.

I started out my search by looking for a "bone stock" '05-06 GT, with the intention of adding the necessary upgrades. With all the various options for performance, my limited Mustang knowledge and mechanical ability, I drifted toward a "turnkey" car. I talked to a couple of tuners, but then I found this particular car.

Regarding the SVT issue, I have noticed that the FRPP site has numerous SVT parts for the '05-08 SVT models, including a SVT replacement hood. This issue is still confusing to me.

In summary, did I buy what I thought I bought? Was it the right Mustang for my purpose? Was it a good deal?

I don't want to discuss what I paid, but suffice it to say that it was very close to the cost of a new '08 Shelby GT. It was my opinion that the car I bought, as optioned, was more for the money than a Shelby GT.

I look forward to your comments, either way. I will not be offended, and I value your opinions.

Michael -

Sent you a pm.

Never got it.

Bummer! Must have went to net purgatory. I just sent it again, and will also e-mail to you via your internet site.

Thanks

Michael -

Sent you a pm.

Never got it.

Bummer! Must have went to net purgatory. I just sent it again, and will also e-mail to you via your internet site.

Thanks

In the process of replying to your email. Gimme a minute.

I don't mean to be rude but if you think the dealer is going to warranty the vehicle after they learn it has been on the track you might have a hard time. with the newer computers they can retrieve info regarding the problem and some times they can bring up the speeds and RPM prior to the problem. i have seen the information pulled in a few high speed crashes. just keep this in mind and have fun.

I don't mean to be rude but if you think the dealer is going to warranty the vehicle after they learn it has been on the track you might have a hard time. with the newer computers they can retrieve info regarding the problem and some times they can bring up the speeds and RPM prior to the problem. i have seen the information pulled in a few high speed crashes. just keep this in mind and have fun.

Crashes are one thing, warranty is another. My Corvette was covered for high-speed driving as long as I kept up with the recommended maintenance and kept it as the dealer delivered it.

Any mechanical failures that might occur on-track (say, an errant 9000 rpm downshift that eats a main bearing) would likely never occur in normal street driving, so if you just drove the car to the grocery store and church on Sundays, you would never run into these problems, so you might as well beat the snot out of it and have fun. But, even the worst track beatings won't void the warranty on the power window switches or the AC knobs. And, the dealership can't exactly prove that you were on a track...maybe you just like to beat the piss out of your car over and over in your neighborhood.

Let it eat, I say.

Mark

It's the old saw again: If you can't afford to push it off a cliff and walk away, don't take it out on the track. Yes, you can minimize your risk in a variety of ways, but if you blow a shift and launch the motor, and the dealer can catch you at it, then it's all on you... The OP doesn't sound like it would be a financial disaster if the car got wadded up tomorrow, though, so I think it's probably a null issue. Guys like me, on the other hand, simply accept the risk that if the car gets eaten by the track, we have to deal with the consequences, and have allowed for that. I agree that no matter what you do to the car on-track, the unaffected systems would still be under warranty, bit it still really comes down to "you broke it, you bought it."

I work in a Mazda dealership, and I'm in service, there are a few secrets to still

keeping the warranty and none the wiser to what you are doing to the vehicle

(track, drag racing ))

1. Keep up with maintance, yes Jiffy boob is "cheaper" and changing your own

oil is really cheap. However, manufacturers and dealers want to see a owner

commentment. So do oil changes and maintance at a Ford Dealer, there is

record kept.

2. Keep all crazy, aftermarket decals off the car (REDLINE products or Hawk), or

get the off the car. You can use this stuff, but don't expect, the scored rotors to

be re-surfaced under warranty when you have a pulsation in the brakes and

you forgot to remove the Hawk pads from track weekend. (yes, this happend)

3. If something should happen to the manual transmission or engine, again keep

your maintance records, if you are racing on the original tires and they have

flat spots and the tread is really worn get them off the car. This is the first thing

that the techs, managers and factory reps look at for signs of other uses.

4. Be NICE and polite to the service advisor, its not wise to get smart or say

something really ignorant. We are the in between guy between the customer

and factory. More than likely stuff is done under warranty for a customer that

shows good service. Smarting off and telling someone off, not good, because

when the profanity starts, the case for you gets shut down.

Beautifully said, thank you. I know for a fact that there are dealers that will look the other way, and others that won't. There are also service advisors that "get it," and those that don't. Form a relationship, and keep it alive at all costs. Oh, and if you do roast a clutch, don't haul the car in on a flatbed with slicks on it, and your helmet in the front seat... I actually saw that happen...

Personally, I believe that anything that I modified should be my problem, not the dealer's. Something stock, on the other hand...

Beautifully said, thank you. I know for a fact that there are dealers that will look the other way, and others that won't. There are also service advisors that "get it," and those that don't. Form a relationship, and keep it alive at all costs. Oh, and if you do roast a clutch, don't haul the car in on a flatbed with slicks on it, and your helmet in the front seat... I actually saw that happen...

Personally, I believe that anything that I modified should be my problem, not the dealer's. Something stock, on the other hand...

One more thing, I'm not sure about Ford's add on policy, but with Mazda it this.

If a customer wants to put on cold air intakes, and other Mazda speed parts they

can, these add on are bought in a Mazda dealer (not the internet) and installed by

a Master Mazda tech and at a dealership. Yes it is expensive, however, there is a

warranty given on the work and the part. If it should fail or cause other parts to fail

your butt is covered.