.82 to .90 fifth gear?

Dawg

does anyone know of any company that would have a .82 to a .90 5th gear for a 2003 mustang cobra t56?

and or a professional "shifter linkage" to set the shifter back about 12".

my 1st place I would check is www.astroperformance.com Tony is a great guy to deal with. that would be for the gear. swarr performance make a t56 relocation shifter but I seriously doubt it's 12" . a guy on corral.net has a swarr t56 shifter for 200 shipped. considering it's a 500 shifter that is not a bad deal.

I've got one of these that I was going to use in a project but never came to be $115 and it's yours if your interested.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/speedshifter/index.html

does anyone know of any company that would have a .82 to a .90 5th gear for a 2003 mustang cobra t56?

A 10% overdrive is only going to gain you 650 rpm over 4th compared to 1250 rpm for the .82. You might be hitting the limiter again or may need to raise it and you are stuck with that .60 6th...

for what you are going to pay for that gear, you might be better served and dollars ahead by selling the T56 and getting a close ratio TKO600...which is lighter! Just a thought.

actually i'm looking for a .89ish 5th gear and a .8ish 6th. not sure if it would be worth the quick shifting to 6th. i figured i would get better pickup down the straights. i currently have a .79 5th (always thought i had a .82). no wonder i was having trouble trying to pass the new z06s down the straight. i have to tear into the tranny to fix some stuff, so thought i would do some cheap (hopefully) 5th and 6th gear upgrading. a mustang needs everthing it can get when doing high speeds (brick). now if i can figure out how to streamline it like a corvette.

A 10% overdrive is only going to gain you 650 rpm over 4th compared to 1250 rpm for the .82. You might be hitting the limiter again or may need to raise it and you are stuck with that .60 6th...

for what you are going to pay for that gear, you might be better served and dollars ahead by selling the T56 and getting a close ratio TKO600...which is lighter! Just a thought.

actually i'm looking for a .89ish 5th gear and a .8ish 6th. not sure if it would be worth the quick shifting to 6th. i figured i would get better pickup down the straights. i currently have a .79 5th (always thought i had a .82). no wonder i was having trouble trying to pass the new z06s down the straight. i have to tear into the tranny to fix some stuff, so thought i would do some cheap (hopefully) 5th and 6th gear upgrading. a mustang needs everthing it can get when doing high speeds (brick). now if i can figure out how to streamline it like a corvette.

the shop that does some of my motor work and tuning works on tons of 03 cobras that like to do hwy racing. Some are making in the neighborhood of 1000 rwhp. They have lots of problems with input shafts and stripping gears. Many are going to 3.27 rear ends because it costs WAY too much to even think about upgrading 5th and 6th gear in a T56. They said that getting the "good" 1-4 gears is about 1500 bucks....to get "good" 5th and 6th gears is another $2500. Granted, those are inflated shop prices but for that kind of money and AI power levels....that TKO starts looking good.

i'm running about 540 hp (427 dart- carburated) to the rear (3.73 gear). i was thinking today of dropping down the gear #. i was actually running slightly higher straight line speeds in 4th when the car was 300 to 400 pounds heavier with a 4.6 w/ kenne bell and same hp (stock 3.55), but up on torque about 30 to 40lbs. i was thinking that this might help in my driving style; no heel-toe, "engine braking" i tend to shift down into third (when slowing down-taking time for the car to settle down) for a cuve. i was thinking that i'm scrubbing off to much speed. to where a higher gear may allow me to carry more speed, without having as much time for the car to settle. i was also thinking of moving up to a 3.9 or 4.10(maybe too much to not have to get into 6th gear), to stay in in 4th gear as much as possible. one of this days i'll get around to heel-toeing, or putting a blipper in the car. i have slight issue with flexabilty with my leg (ankle-calf muscle), which tends to not give me the confidence to brake and blip at the same time.

it seems that the 2 top finishers in AIX (not saying anything about anyone else) were running 4 speed jerichos. assuming 4th is 1 to 1 ratio; would be running a higher rear gear (low in #- man, that can be confusing sometimes), and still be able to keep good speed or keeping in the power range. unknowing is the rest of the gearing. i'll check out the speed chart to see what range the 3.27 would put me in. i guess the main issue for me would be at road atlanta, is to still be able to hit 150 to 160 down the back straight.

i love driving the car, but sometimes the stuff to make it faster is like a full time job; and i've got one of those already with overtime.

what kind of speed would the AIX cars see on the long straight at nationals?

the shop that does some of my motor work and tuning works on tons of 03 cobras that like to do hwy racing. Some are making in the neighborhood of 1000 rwhp. They have lots of problems with input shafts and stripping gears. Many are going to 3.27 rear ends because it costs WAY too much to even think about upgrading 5th and 6th gear in a T56. They said that getting the "good" 1-4 gears is about 1500 bucks....to get "good" 5th and 6th gears is another $2500. Granted, those are inflated shop prices but for that kind of money and AI power levels....that TKO starts looking good.

If the fastest AIX cars are making 550 a the wheels, there is no reason they should not hit 180mph at Miller. They were easily doing 160-165 at Mid Ohio and Miller's straight is twice as long, but flat. Better start thinking about brakes too!

my 1st place I would check is http://www.astroperformance.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;". Tony is a great guy to deal with. that would be for the gear.

I second Astro. Tony is a standup guy. I bought one of their first runs of .90 fifth gear conversions for the T-5 and it was a bit difficult (alright, impossible) to remove from the tail shaft for service. I called Tony and he sent me a replacement and covered shipping both ways for the new gear and returning the old one to him to make it right.

don't start me on brakes. i switched from power to manual, after sliding the seat all the way back. once again the confidence level goes down.

If the fastest AIX cars are making 550 a the wheels, there is no reason they should not hit 180mph at Miller. They were easily doing 160-165 at Mid Ohio and Miller's straight is twice as long, but flat. Better start thinking about brakes too!

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to second (or third?) getting the TKO 600 for a couple of reasons. Aside from the available ratios, it is very easy to work on. I have a '96 GT with longtubes and the fact that it is a toploader and allows you to split it from the bellhousing makes removal/installation a breeze, even at the track (trust me :P ). Plus you only have about 95 pounds to manhandle. I would mention the strength, which is good, but I did manage to grenade one at my last event. By the way, does anyone know if Tremec has any kind of "we're sorry your $2100 virtually indestructible transmission is.....destroyed?" warrantee?

I also ordered the Restomod shifter from mustangs plus. At 5'7" it's just kinda of a neat thing for me, but probably a godsend for taller drivers who sit farther back.

Eddie Rock

#21 TTA (soon to be AI....one day) '96 GT