4 Door Adjustment

claykos

I understand the "spirit" of this rule to distinguish between a car that started life as a sports car or a car that started life as a sedan, however I think in many cases it is totally unfair - especially in the new STR classes.

For example, the most common 4 door "race cars" are BMW 3 series. Now if I built out a 4 dr E36 M3 I can have a fairly significant power advantage over a 2 door M3, but the 4 door car has the exact same chassis/suspension/aero has a 2 door. Actually, it has a stiffer chassis due to the B billar. Why should it get a +.4?

With the new STR classes it makes even less sense. If I have a purpose built tube frame car with a composite body that mimics a 4 door (but doesn't actually have any opening doors) do I get a +.4 over the exact same car with a body mimicking a 2 door?

Perhaps there is a better way to distinguish between "sports cars" and "sedans" - such as number of seats (but this gets messy with 2+2 cars like a 911), or maybe interior volume? How do the insurance companies do it?

• National Staff

Clay, for now, we want to just run the same exact formula for STR--we have our reasons. We may change that in the future years, though. We don't expect to see four door tube frame cars, but I guess we will find out. As well, we do expect to see some Supersizing at the Championships from ST to STR--that should help get the STR numbers up the first year.