Any One using POR15?

heel_touge

I'm looking to finish up my interior.

I stumbled on this stuff, and was just curious if any of you guys use it for engine bays or interiors?

My other option is roll on rustoleum, but I don't think I will get the same coverage,quality as I would with the POR 15.

thanks,

Mark

New here but I saw your question and had to reply.

I am an avid restorer of old vehicles and my two cents is that you can't go wrong using POR 15. I'm in the middle of a frame off on a '64 F250. While you can paint over light rust with it, I blasted the frame and coated it a complete POR system. 2 coats regular formula POR, followed by POR self-etch primer, followed by 2 coats of POR Hardnose topcoat (comes in multiple colors). The topcoat/self-etch process is only necessary if the surface you are using the POR on will be exposed to sunlight or if you want to go overkill. POR itself on a frame will look like a topcoat even if brushed on (best results use HVLP).

I like this stuff way better than powder coat...doesn't scratch when applied properly. Make sure and use the self etch primer liberally if you topcoat with POR hardnose as otherwise it will flake. Painted all my suspension parts with it as well.

I will also being using POR complete system as undercoating, inside door panels, and on the floor pan. You can topcoat the selfetch primer with any other paint, ie Acrylic Enamel or Urethane BC/CC.

Though POR can be thought of as overkill and a bit spendy; my goal is for anything I restore to be rust free 200 years from now.

thanks for the reply, vry insightful

i won't be restoring anything though. Its just to clean up the interior a bit and to protect it. I think it may be a bit overkill.

If you do the interior with POR-15 plan on spraying it. I tried to roll/brush the interior of my car car and it took a LOT of paint and is hard to get into all the nooks and crannies, and then it runs. Also, it needs to be warm, like around 70*. It's really good stuff, but to be honest I think it's kind of wasted on the interior, given the cost and how much abuse it gets or doesn't get. I've used it on battery trays, fenders, frame rails - it's tough as nails.

• 2 weeks later...

I sprayed the interior of my BMW 328. Creates a very hard and durable surface, but doesn't always dry to an even finish. Seems to depend on the consistency of the underlying prep. And don't even think of reusing the left over paint. The can will permanently seal itself. I (HVLP) sprayed the cage, floor and all other interior and trunk surfaces. Usual safety precautions for spraying apply. The reducer is very irritating on your skin. Don't get any on you.