Need some clarification on the new STR classes

Blackbird222

Sorry, this probably makes more sense than I make out of it right now (been a long day...).

I'm reading the super touring rules and trying to see where my car ends up at.

I spent the last year and a half building a car for ST2 that should be competitive -

Lotus 7 at about 9.3:1 ratio, no aero mods +0.75, tires under 245 +0.8, sequential transmission -0.2, weight under 1450 lbs -1.8 = 8.85:1 meaning I have a bit of head room for engine mods or I can be optimistic thinking that my build will turn out just a bit lighter

With the new STR class I'm not sure where I'm standing, am I just at 9.3:1?

I'll be pretty bummed if it is because the car won't be as competitive and my engine is so small that unless I pour some serious money (that I will definitely not have by the end of this build) into it, it's not going to gain enough...

TIA,

Moti

• National Staff
Sorry, this probably makes more sense than I make out of it right now (been a long day...).

I'm reading the super touring rules and trying to see where my car ends up at.

I spent the last year and a half building a car for ST2 that should be competitive -

Lotus 7 at about 9.3:1 ratio, no aero mods +0.75, tires under 245 +0.8, sequential transmission -0.2, weight under 1450 lbs -1.8 = 8.85:1 meaning I have a bit of head room for engine mods or I can be optimistic thinking that my build will turn out just a bit lighter

With the new STR class I'm not sure where I'm standing, am I just at 9.3:1?

I'll be pretty bummed if it is because the car won't be as competitive and my engine is so small that unless I pour some serious money (that I will definitely not have by the end of this build) into it, it's not going to gain enough...

TIA,

Moti

Yep, must have been a long day. There are no changes for ST1 and ST2. Your Lotus 7 will be legal as you are building it. However, if you should decide to run STR instead, you will lose your +0.75 modification factor for not having aero. So, your Adjusted wt/hp ratio would be 8.1:1 in STR. But, if you decide to run in STR and do a full aero package, you also won't be assessed -0.75--you would still be 8.1:1.

From the Super Touring Rules:

Note, the addition of the STR1 and STR2 classes in

February of 2009 does not negate or repeal the previous (or future) approvals of the tube-frame

and non-production vehicles for ST1 and ST2 listed in Section 8. All of these approvals will be

valid at least through the end of the 2009 season. Many (and possibly all) of them, will continue

to be valid through the 2010 season and beyond.

Thanks Greg.

I knew this has to make more sense, it sure does after a good night sleep (as good as you get when you have a baby) and a morning coffee

I sure hope the 7 will stay legal after 2009 is over, it will suck big time to find that the project that I spent a so much time building has just been kicked up a class.

Moti

• National Staff

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26396

STR1 and STR2 are the new Super Touring classes that allow tube frame, sports racers, and other cars to compete that were not eligible for ST1 and ST2. The classing rules are the same, except there are no additional modification factors as we have in ST1 & ST2 (for the tube frame and non-production cars that we have approved).

Basically, all ST1 and ST2 cars are eligible to run in STR1 and STR2 also. However, STR cars cannot run in ST1 or ST2.