HANS and other Head and Neck Restraints

clarklloyd

I am looking to buy one of the 38.1 approved head a neck restraints. I have heard that some people do not like the HANS because it interferes with the helmet and forces your entire head off the seat back. There are a couple other models out there that dont have the pad directly behind the head. Does anyone have anything to say about the brand and type you use?

some guys much smarter than me put this stuff together:

http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4829

http://www.am-rennsport.com/HNR.html

http://www.racesafetydata.info/

I like my R3 and they can be ordered now with sliding thethers which I hear really helps with freedom of movement, not that it was too restrictive before on track, just hard to see in the paddock was all. I have the retrofit kit coming in the mail pretty soon, should have it all on this weekend

I have the Hans Sport with the sliding tethers and have none of the problems you speak of. In fact, I was used to it before the 2nd turn of the 1st lap I ever wore it. I am happy with it and now don't even know it is there.

With the HANS...I would urge you to ask your local dealer to explain why HANS has different models. Each model is designed for different car application.

Brian at OG Racing explained this and showed me first hand the differences between the models and the applications to different seat set ups and such. I would have to say that anyone that says their HANS forces anything more then likely does not have the proper HANS device. I used to think it was a one unit fits all...but its not. Each model is designed to work in certain parameters.

So I would strongly urge anyone to seek advice from a skilled dealer based on your application to choose the right device and model....whether it be HANS or any other device. Your comfort and life may well depend on it.

Just my 2 cents after being shown the differences.

I just went thru the same process. Ended up with defender. Adjustable for driver and seat also can be put on in car (hans cannot due to belts) good customer support and best of all cheaper! Hate the floresent green though!

I just went thru the same process. Ended up with defender. Adjustable for driver and seat also can be put on in car (hans cannot due to belts) good customer support and best of all cheaper! Hate the floresent green though!

I have put my HANS on while inside the car for the last 5 years. Have no idea what you're talking about.

I have put my HANS on while inside the car for the last 5 years. Have no idea what you're talking about.

Ditto, I can put on or remove inside the car with no problems.

Ditto, I can put on or remove inside the car with no problems.

+1

Although with my new head restraint seat, it is now easier for me to get it placed on my shoulders outside the car. Don't understand the belt issue though.

I have 3 in belts I was told no problem with 2 in but some issues with 3in I did not try it though to expensive to try and find out issues, as I said cost also an issue and much easier to adjust for diff driver positions. Hans a great product but with all the ad ons would have cost much more. The hans must be more of a custom fit for seat and driver, if you have a dealer close and take car and helmet in will be easier to get good fit if not may need trial and error. I also heard that you needed to fit padding for diff drivers for comfort? With the derender you adjust the unit no extra padding nessicery. If cost not an issue go for the hans it has an established record. But I would recomed to get someone with one to help you to fit it .

I have 3 in belts I was told no problem with 2 in but some issues with 3in I did not try it though to expensive to try and find out issues, as I said cost also an issue and much easier to adjust for diff driver positions. Hans a great product but with all the ad ons would have cost much more. The hans must be more of a custom fit for seat and driver, if you have a dealer close and take car and helmet in will be easier to get good fit if not may need trial and error. I also heard that you needed to fit padding for diff drivers for comfort? With the derender you adjust the unit no extra padding nessicery. If cost not an issue go for the hans it has an established record. But I would recomed to get someone with one to help you to fit it .

What add ons?

You don't have to have it fitted, unless you have an unusual car/seat configuration. The 4 models to choose from are described very well on the Hans website:

http://hansdevice.com/Choosing-and-Fitting-Your-HANS-Device

3" belts are not an issue either.

Sorry, but I don't know where you're getting your information...

I also don't have any problem putting my Hans on inside the car, and I also have a halo seat.

With all due respect, it sounds as though what you heard, you heard from someone that did not want you to get a Hans.

3 inch belts work fine. Hans makes different angled equipment for different laybacks and neck sizes, there aren't any adjustments. I have no idea what an add-on is, unless you're talking about the different strap configurations. I don't know anybody using alternate padding. Prior to the Hans having the non-skid finish, I understand that the sleeves were popular. I don't know anybody that currently uses them.

If cost is the main driver, then there are cheaper alternatives than the Hans.

Last months Sports car is where I got the info?? Some of us are not made of money and count our pennies. As I said the hans is good!!. For my money the extra savings was spent on new tires. The defender is one size fits all and can be taylored the hans can be with help (which layback, drivers size, ect. )Just a little more effort that all, and they proved great technical support. Sorry if I steped on toes just my humble opinion. enough said!!!

Last months Sports car is where I got the info?? :

So if you thoroughly read that article, you'd know the guy who wrote it NEVER actually drove a car while wearing any of the devices. He just sat in a car making engine noises and "testing" them.

Thanks for everyone's input. I do have a dealer here in Denver that I will most likely try one out. I am thinking from all the research I have done, and the feedback here I will most likely go with a large Hans with the 30 degree layback, but I guess I will figure that out when I actually try one on. Thanks again everyone, I will let ya know what I get.

clarklloyd, if you would like some assistance, I would be glad to help fit you and make some recommendations. You can contact me at [email protected]. I would need to know the recline of your seat, neck size, your height and weight.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance