Where to buy Carbotech Brake pads

bossman429

Well I've been researching and researching the right pad for my mustang. Starting out in HDPE1 and some but very limited street use. I think the Carbotech XP8's will be the best for me. Right now I have whatever the stock pads in the 00 Cobra R brembos are up front and some street pads in the rear.

I was back and forth betwen the Hawk HT-10's and the Carbotech XP8's but do to rotor friendliness and reviews I think the Carbotechs are a better pad.

Question is I can't find anywhere to buy them, that has my application. As mentioned, I need Fronts for an 00 Cobra R, and rears for a 99-03 cobra/GT (they have the same caliper). Any clues? or Part #'s?

Well I've been researching and researching the right pad for my mustang. Starting out in HDPE1 and some but very limited street use. I think the Carbotech XP8's will be the best for me. Right now I have whatever the stock pads in the 00 Cobra R brembos are up front and some street pads in the rear.

I was back and forth betwen the Hawk HT-10's and the Carbotech XP8's but do to rotor friendliness and reviews I think the Carbotechs are a better pad.

Question is I can't find anywhere to buy them, that has my application. As mentioned, I need Fronts for an 00 Cobra R, and rears for a 99-03 cobra/GT (they have the same caliper). Any clues? or Part #'s?

Call them, you can buy directly from them. I've also run XP-8's and love them.

Keep in mind they're VERY dusty and make odd grinding noises at very low speeds on the street.

Carbotech also recomends you run the pads on new rotors or resurfaced rotors, you don't want to mix compounds.

I did that in the rear and had a problem with the rears "pulsating", after a while, I wore off the old remanants and the condition went away...

Call them, you can buy directly from them.

I didn't know that! I will call on Monday for sure!

I found somewhere to buy the XP6/Panther plus So I did. Do you think they would be enough pad for the front or should I go with the XP8's.

I would like to go with the least "race inspired" pad possible, so I have to worry less about getting them up to temp and if I will have brakes on the first couple of laps. at the same time I do NOT want to worry about them going to grease on the last few laps of a session

I run AX6 on the street and XP8's on the track but know people run the XP8's on the street with no issues, they have close to as much torque cold as stock pads.

If you have run metalic pads, make sure you replace the rotors as recommended.

Keep in mind they're VERY dusty and make odd grinding noises at very low speeds on the street.

Hmm.. Though I get an occasional squeal, I've never had a grinding noise problem with my Carbotechs on the street. I always call Danny direct at (877) 899-5024 and he's always been very eager to help. I run XP10 front and XP8 rear. You'll love the pads.

Just out of curiosity, how were the stock '00 R Galfer pads for you on track? Never run them but from all the posts I've seen complaining about dust/squeal on the street (and the fact they came on the R) I assumed they were a "trackable" street pad.

Just out of curiosity, how were the stock '00 R Galfer pads for you on track? Never run them but from all the posts I've seen complaining about dust/squeal on the street (and the fact they came on the R) I assumed they were a "trackable" street pad.

I haven't tracked with them, my concern is I will get there, fry them, and be sitting on my ass all day with no car to drive. I was thinking get ones I KNOW will work, and keep those as spares incase some how I burn through the XP's

I wouldn't be too worried about those pads in HPDE1. After a quick search it seems the Galper pads do just fine on track, at least up to AI race level speeds/weights.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=242772&postcount=6

Someone on one of my mailing lists who uses them on his 408-equipped Mustang track toy said they are about halfway between a full street and full race pad. A lousy street-only pad due to noise and dust but just about perfect for a track toy that gets driven to/from the track.

I've run XP10's up front and XP8's rear for the last couple of years. I run them year-round for street and track and have no problems. Even with the cold Ohio winters they work. Carbotech does not recommend them for street use though.

I always buy new rotors whenever I replace the pads. Don't forget to bed the pads in before going to the track.

I run XP10 F & R for track (Time Trials and some HPDE) and limited street driving with no complaints at all...Remember to run the anti-squeal pad backing shims and you will be fine..this limits the noise..

Plus, the Carbotech pad dust can be cleaned off super-easy...just regular wheel cleaner works fine...and it doesn't corrode the wheels...or the paint

Note: I have a 350Z with Brembo brakes, that is as heavy as the Mustangs and run about the same tire size (275-40-17 R-comps)

Alan Cox Automotive/RPG Productions is a Carbotech dealer..ask for JMAN..

and please tell them Laze1 sent you.

http://rpgproduction.rpmware.com/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW: Alan Cox Automotive/RPG Productions is one of my sponsors...you buy from them, they give me more sponsor $$$..truth in posting statement

Edited by Guest

FYI: I think Carbotech ships directly from the factory no matter who you order them from so no worries about if a dealer stocks them.

FYI: I think Carbotech ships directly from the factory no matter who you order them from so no worries about if a dealer stocks them.
True...all of my Carbotech orders from my source have been drop-shipped from Carbotech in NC.

Mark

Call them, you can buy directly from them.
Be sure to mention that you are a NASA member in order to receive your member discount. Dealers still might be a couple bucks cheaper, though.

Mark

Edited by Guest

I need Fronts for an 00 Cobra R, and rears for a 99-03 cobra/GT (they have the same caliper). Any clues? or Part #'s?
Here are the Ford part number listings:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads/ford.html

The part numbers are the same, no matter which compound; you just specify the particular compound number separately.

I have the same front calipers with stock 1.125" thick rotors, and I use part number CT592A (thicker pads for thinner rotors). If you are using thicker aftermarket rotors, then you would use part number CT592 up front (thinner pads for thicker rotors).

While 99-04 Cobras/Bullitts/Mach 1s/GTs use the same rear caliper, they do not take the same pads, as the rotors are different thicknesses (C/B/M1 thick rotors, GT thin rotors). CT627 is the thicker pad for the thinner GT rotor, and CT627A is the thinner pad for the thicker C/B/M1 rotor. Yes, the A designation for the thinner rear pads is ass backwards from the A designation for the thicker front pads, so keep in mind that the A does not necessarily mean the same thing from front to rear at this time (they could change it, as I have been discussing this with them recently).

UPDATE 06 19 2009: I believe that Carbotech revised the "A" designation at the end of the part numbers for these particular pads since I posted the information above a while back. Check their website for the most current part numbers, but if all else fails, be sure to specify which rotors you are using in order to get the correct pad thickness.

Mark

Edited by Guest

Thanks Guys!

I call up CT, and ordered from them directly. I dealt with Chris and he was very helpful. He actually talked me into the XP8 for the rears, and XP10's for the fronts. I trust his advice so we'll see how they act!

I did get a 10% discount for NASA, and with this they were cheaper than the dealers I spoke to.

Can't wait to put them in and FINALLY get done with the car and drive it on the 4th @ lime rock!

Thanks for all the help!!!

He actually talked me into the XP8 for the rears, and XP10's for the fronts.
That's the same compound combination I use for my track-only 2004 Mustang GT with 2000 Cobra R Brembos up front and stock GT brakes out back. Then again, I never drive it on the street, so I can't say how they will work if not heated up (although the car seems to stop fine from a 10 mph roll in the pits lol).

Mark

• 3 months later...

Next time PM or Call me, I sell the stuff

By the way, a lot of people use a less pad aggressive in the back, based on my experience, if you are a late / heavy braker you are much better off if you use the same all the way around. The Mustang's stock brake proportionning valve is very conservative on the rear brake bias and with a less aggressive rear compound you are using the rear brakes even less and end-up over loading / over heating the fronts which leads to scored rotors, beat-up fluid, and premature demise of the pads themselves..

Adding a brake bias proportionning valve (And adding rear brake bias) helps even out the wear and adds a noticeable amount of stopping power. As for worrying about brake instability, the ABS negates much of the adverse affects. I turned mine all the way up to the point where it the back-end was a little skittish then I backed-off the knob about 1/2 turn.. Done.

Ask me how I know: Follow the link and view the last picture (Of my glowing rotor) on the bottom :

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24174&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Brake

Special NASA prices

See my sig..

-François

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Old thread but we just saw an incoming link. So, apparently people are still reading it.

In any case, we try to stock every possible Carbotech for Miata, S2000 and FRS-BRZ (86) as well as rotors, brake lines and Motul RBF600. We also stock many of the Carbotechs for Wilwood calipers and C4-C6 Corvettes. The rest we drop ship direct from Carbotech. The rotors we offer are Centric blanks. Same ones we used on our T25 winning cars.

Call or email if you have questions regarding compound selection.

** If your application is not common ('75 Lotus Eclat for Chumpcar) don't order pads 4 days before your event and expect them to be at your door in time. Carbotech has literally thousands of applications and 8 compounds. No single dealer has every pad sitting on the shelf, not event Carbotech themselves. That means most of the less frequently ordered pads are made to order, which always adds a day or two.

I generally recommend, for any brand of pad, once you find a pad you like, remove a set when they still have a full weekend or at least a day left in them and put them in your spares box. Nothing worse than running out of pads halfway through the weekend or forgetting to order pads until you're changing the oil Thursday night (doh).

http://949racing.com/brakes.aspx

Bedding procedure http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=2756334&postcount=58

Carbotech transfer layer

bed_unbed_carbotech.gif

• 1 month later...

Thanks. That is very helpful info. Especially the changing the pads with a weekend (approx) left on them to keep for spares. It might also be wise to pull those rotors as well. You never know when you'll need both.