S197 Mustang Engine choice

robbodleimages

Dean Martin has what amounts to the hot rod 3v in his new club racer program. The car in the photo below. He tells me the car is running 0.2 of a second off his FR500C without the restrictor and ballast box on the car. He says 350whp is what he is getting.

That is a stock 3v with the hot rod cams, cnc ported heads, rehagen racing's proprietary exhaust and their own calibration.

I had decided to put the original 5L cammer in the car when it arrives. The longer I wait for that arrival the more I consider going with the 3v and running AI with it and having a good time. Its a far more budget friendly package in many ways.

We will see if I can find a 3v take out to start with.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IGZOSTD

• ST#97

• robbodleimages

• gbrown8439

You know if you're going to use it for a track car, I'd suggest the Ford Racing Hot Rod 3V set up. It's only 400 pounds fully dressed and includes their Hot Rod cams. I've seen a couple run and the sound NASTY. They have around 350 hp and 330 Tq, so that's a good base. As for the trans, to the best of my limited knowledge, I'd stick with anything Tremec, since that's what is in them from the factory and they're pretty good.

Here's the link and details on that engine

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck on that project!!

I know I am a mod motor nut, but I recommend being very careful with any of the 3V variants right now. Seen A LOT of broken valves. it's rather strange how they just disappear!

I guess that's my inexperience showing. As far as I can tell, the key is to stay below the redline on these motors. Of course, the old 5.0 pushrod setup is famous for its ability to be thrashed. I've seen 600 horse versions of those that are street driven and then drag raced regularly. It's your project, so I say you should hang everyone's suggestions (including mine) and do exactly what you want!!!

Dean Martin has what amounts to the hot rod 3v in his new club racer program. The car in the photo below. He tells me the car is running 0.2 of a second off his FR500C without the restrictor and ballast box on the car. He says 350whp is what he is getting.

That is a stock 3v with the hot rod cams, cnc ported heads, rehagen racing's proprietary exhaust and their own calibration.

I had decided to put the original 5L cammer in the car when it arrives. The longer I wait for that arrival the more I consider going with the 3v and running AI with it and having a good time. Its a far more budget friendly package in many ways.

We will see if I can find a 3v take out to start with.

Just a note we also ran the 3v with the cams and CNC heads last year in or AI car but ran it in AIX with BFG tires while we sorted out things. We have the same in this season but will run it in AI. As Dean noted it made 348 hp and 330 Tq. at the wheels. It ran like a champ all last year for us in the Greatlakes region FRPP has done the cal on the engines. If some one does buy the 3v hot rod motor we can supply the same cal. if you need it.