• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slammed_93_hatch

• ekim952522000

• loren fancy

• mcmmotorsports

The problem with this is everyone running R888's is going to have a hard time keeping up with the guys on RA-1's (at least from what I hear) now people who want to compete and have already bought R888's are going to have to buy RA-1's

It sounds to me like Toyo realized they still had a bunch of RA-1's they still need to get rid of.

OH BABY! I was just on the phone with zed talking about this possibility. I am thrilled as I have a nearly new set of ra-1's that I thought were going to go to waste.

On the other hand, the r888 appear to be a bit slower, and more expencive...figure that one out...anyway, I would be bummed if I had just spent a grip on a set of r888's.

doesnt surprise me.. typical NASA crap. Constant rules changes and now allowing two different tires. I just sold my brand new shaved RA1's to an HPDE guy because i thought i couldnt use them anymore. Thanks NASA!

doesnt surprise me.. typical NASA crap. Constant rules changes and now allowing two different tires. I just sold my brand new shaved RA1's to an HPDE guy because i thought i couldnt use them anymore. Thanks NASA!

Don't forget the typical pattern of applying these rules changes at the last possible minute.

<---Hoping this is a lame April fool's joke.

well I bought a butt-load of R888's for both our cars. I'm going to continue running on R888's even if they are more expensive and or slower. This helps guys like Austin who are running on a limited budget, and are still running on RA1's.

Don't forget the typical pattern of applying these rules changes at the last possible minute.

<---Hoping this is a lame April fool's joke.

while i don't think there are tons of rules changes, they always seem to have the WORST TIMING EVER.

This is worse the Aunt Flow coming to visit your Prom date on the night of Prom...!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with this is everyone running R888's is going to have a hard time keeping up with the guys on RA-1's (at least from what I hear) now people who want to compete and have already bought R888's are going to have to buy RA-1's

It sounds to me like Toyo realized they still had a bunch of RA-1's they still need to get rid of.

I don't think this is the case. I talked to Toyo engineers last Friday on SCCA weekend at Sears. They said, they wanted people to run R888 exclusively. It is their new tires and they are pushing for it.

This change is solely NASA. NASA got a lot of complain from people about the longevity of R888. To have to run tires that last nearly half the time than RA1 in this economy time is tough. I think this is the case where NASA listened and acted as quickly as they can.

Now does anyone have some cheap 225.45/15's they want to sell me so that I can race in April? :P

Austin - who is still looking for employment

This change is solely NASA. NASA got a lot of complain from people about the longevity of R888. To have to run tires that last nearly half the time than RA1 in this economy time is tough. I think this is the case where NASA listened and acted as quickly as they can.

Andrie, in you experiance, do the r888 slow down as they age or do they simply wear out? The greatest thing about the ra-1 was that no matter how old it was...within reason...as long as there was rubber the tire could compete. I just set a track record on a 2 year old set of ra-1's that started life as full treads and wore down...ah the good ol' days.

Edited by Guest

if RA1 225 45 15's are not available then they should not be allowed to run RA1's in H4, the idea for the first two races was to use up what you have and then everyone on 888's for the rest of the year....fair playing field and simple....if this is a true ruling and only 888 are available then this ridiculous. Its getting obviuous that the RA1 is a faster tire as per racers and tire dealers reports and people will be searching high and low for used ones......in ending for what reason if Toyo has none???

Andrie, in you experiance, do the r888 slow down as they age or do they simply wear out. The greatest thing about the ra-1 was that no matter how old it was...within reason...as long as there was rubber the tire could compete. I just set a track record on a 2 year old set of ra-1's that started life as full treads and wore down.

Don't know. You wear them out in no time. You never get them that old!

I agree with your assessment on RA1. Great tire.

I have spoken with a tire dealer on this topic in the past. I guess this is not the first time toyo has tried to replace the RA-1 and failed. Why replaced it just 'cause it is 20 years old? Better to be lucky then good. The RA-1 is/was arguably the best all around DOT race tire you could buy. Cheap, long lasting, fast enough, forgiving on setup and driving style.

The r888 thing is bumming me out, slower, $40+ more per tire, last half as long, and less forgiving. I was in support of a spec tire when it was good and cheap, but at the risk of sounding like and right coaster...open tires would be nice right about now. We ran BFG R1's at the 25, they were cool. Faster then a RA-1, same lifespan approximately. A little tougher to drive, but fun. They were pricey, but not much more then a R888. If you take into account to short lifespan of the R888, I bet they are cheaper to run, and almost 3 seconds faster.

i wasn't excited about switching to the R888, but WE WERE ALL going to be on, so ya whatever.

But this shit, of fucking changing the rule AFTER every region has ran there 2 races, and 5 months AFTER you announce the transition is 2 races.

No Thank You.

Just remember to keep a fresh set of RA-1's for Nationals guys you don't want to end up being the only guy on R888's

any legal rquired/allowed part on a HC car should be readily available to all racers.....there is no way a sane person could alow an obsolete tire, not available from the manufacture to be used in club racing let alone a National event.....this must be a april fools joke.

Andrie, in you experiance, do the r888 slow down as they age or do they simply wear out. The greatest thing about the ra-1 was that no matter how old it was...within reason...as long as there was rubber the tire could compete. I just set a track record on a 2 year old set of ra-1's that started life as full treads and wore down.

Like Andrie said. Quick wear. 7 sessions from shaved to cords on my SpecE30. Yes 7!!!!!!

how is it an admission of any problem with the R888?

theyre just acknowledging there are new and used RA-1's out there that can still be used.

Like Andrie said. Quick wear. 7 sessions from shaved to cords on my SpecE30. Yes 7!!!!!!

WOW...that sucks! Of course, give your car the proper size tire and that would improve. 205 on a 2750 pound car, someone was on drugs!