Top Posters In This Topic

• ST#97

• Red Tornado

• King Matt

• JWL

Top Posters In This Topic

...the key is being smooth.

Awww, shoo-shiddily-diddily.

Don't fret....maybe we could rename the series "American Platinum"....that's smooth!

So we have gone from cheap iron, to carbon and now to platinum...? Series costs are out of control.

I also love the fact everyone thinks the same tire design will work on a 2300lb, 100hp go cart as it will on a 3100lb, 400hp Fairmont with tricky wind stuff on it!

So how do we post files on this site? I have an interesting excel spreadsheet from WC at Mid Ohio from 07, and then 08. So far I have pobst, pilgrim and archer entered. Hope to input curran, and a couple back marker teams as well. Interesting stuff!

So how do we post files on this site?

Reply, scroll down below Submit button, and then click Browse. Find the file on your computer and select "Open" in that window (or whatever confirmation button says). Then click "Add the file". Type out your post, and submit as usual.

Jason

As much as I appreciate a good fight we probably just need to let this go.

Besides at least we get toyo bucks for either.

And besides once I win nationals on r888's all arguments will stop

And besides once I win nationals on r888's all arguments will stop

It finally begins!!! LOL!!! So, what's your car weight again?

3,400lbs of rocking red fury

Perfect for those R888's

You should try stand up comedy! It will help you deal with the agony of defeat!

if the R888s are so bad for your cars, why not go as a class to a different tire..?

ssshhhhh!!! That's blasphemy....but is common at the local speak easy's.

Honestly, the choice for our spec tire next year is going to influence if I run AI or AIX in 2010, maybe even ST1. If I am going to have to spend money to redevelop the car, I might as well go faster than I am now. Given the tires are not lasting very long and the price went up, for a few dollars more I can run 275/40/17 hoosiers and have fun with a car that works instead of wrestling a car on street tires.

I am already sourcing the motor parts to head that direction as I know folks don't like change around here.

Honestly, the choice for our spec tire next year is going to influence if I run AI or AIX in 2010, maybe even ST1. If I am going to have to spend money to redevelop the car, I might as well go faster than I am now. Given the tires are not lasting very long and the price went up, for a few dollars more I can run 275/40/17 hoosiers and have fun with a car that works instead of wrestling a car on street tires.

I am already sourcing the motor parts to head that direction as I know folks don't like change around here.

that is a plus one for me as well.

I hope someone at national is at least talking to Hoosier. I remember last year at the August race at Mid-Ohio before the nationals there was a guy in a purple Hoosier shirt walking down the hot grid with a note pad checking off cars, so they are obviously aware of the potential market. American Iron, American tires. Hey, I'm just sayin' ...

I hope someone at national is at least talking to Hoosier. I remember last year at the August race at Mid-Ohio before the nationals there was a guy in a purple Hoosier shirt walking down the hot grid with a note pad checking off cars, so they are obviously aware of the potential market. American Iron, American tires. Hey, I'm just sayin' ...

Well, as much as I would love to set my R888's on fire and roll them into the street, or a dry grassy field, I will admit that the RA1 for our series is a VERY tough act to follow. It's price point, longevity and performance curve was a great match for our club racing series. Dare I say it was perfect...? Knowing that Toyo has a been a great sponsor of NASA for many years and the fact we all know they can produce a perfect tire for our series, my overall wish is that they can make a revision and duplicate the RA1 for us again with those ideal characteristics we all know so well.

However, IF there is a revision, I do hope they take care of the distributors that already stocked up on 888's that some of us aren't going to buy.

<---staying hopeful for improvements.

Yeah, it would be even better if they paid $400 cash to the race winner and up to $75 down to eighth, like they do for SM in SCCA. I think we'd all change our opinion of the R888 if Toyo did that for AI/CMC.

Yeah, it would be even better if they paid $400 cash to the race winner and up to $75 down to eighth, like they do for SM in SCCA. I think we'd all change our opinion of the R888 if Toyo did that for AI/CMC.

Seriously? That's got to be about a whole set of tires for a SM...

nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

Hey MK....here's a funny...

I drove for Team Cobra this weekend in the 8hr enduro on the R888's in a capable AI car... Mid race the crew rotated them, unbeknownst to me (driving)....all 4 of them with backwards rotation. Went 3 seconds faster! LOL!!! Granted during the pit stop, less than 4 minutes, the sun went behind the clouds and the tires were now about 1/2 worn....but it was instantly, noticeably faster from the driver's seat from the previous 40 minute stint before the pitstop, but a little squirely under braking till up to temp. Also, the tires made the full 7.25 hours and were run in a 30 minute and 20 minute sprint on Sunday. Still 3 seconds of the lap pace of an RA1 for the car owner......and RA1 shod cars were in another ZIP CODE ahead of the R888 shod cars.

Anyone find a warehouse of RA1's?!

My opinion:

Pick one spec tire for the Nationals. Too much time, money, effert, and travel to have any inconsistantsies. It also eliminates the second guessing, and unneeded discussions and debate about who was on which tire. Just make it the same for everyone.

Ideally, sooner then later, I'd like to see something official indicating which tire or tires will be legal for nationals. Even if there are no changes to the current tire rules. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who needs to make a decission about attending Nationals.

Edit : started a new thread - Nationals Tire clarification