NASA SoCal "spooks" newbies .... but recovers ...

rkbuckle

Many thanks - and an old friend once advised me to add only as much braking as I need, and no more ... no matter how "pretty" they may look ... Brembo's eh? I am concerned about the "drilled" rotors of the oriinal Z51 package and thought it may be safer to move away from them ... but you are correct, I am not yet at 10/10ths (for sure) but this year, I will be getting a lot closer.

The Vette will have a return for a couple of events but we are not "rushing it" back to track until we have learnt a little more ... about the tracks.

Again, thanks .... RB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkbuckle

• ianacole

• Renesisfury

• RodeoFlyer

And if I provided the right link, then that probably would make more sense:

http://buckle-up-travel.blogspot.com/2009/04/are-we-humans-or-are-we-dancers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts - and input from you all's wealth of experience ... and thanks!

I enjoyed the blog; and completely relate to having the rear-end come around due to a "momentary lapse" of concentration on track (see video evidence -

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

And, for what it's worth; I'm glad you and your wife have the common interest of enjoying track days! My daughter and I do similarly (we run two cars in different run groups), and the bonding we've had is priceless. So, I hope you continue enjoying the fun, safety, and excitement that track days bring!

Cheers!

The folks at NASA So Cal have to be thanked - a number of them have spent a lot of time giving serious thought to helping us out and for that my wife and I are very thankful. It's really encouraging with all that has transpired that they have hung in there with us, showing concern as well as genuine interest in us as a couple. From Ryan on down to John and to Fulton, the interest in us succeeding has been consistent from the start.

Yes – it’s bonding for sure. Doing this as a couple (whose kids think we have completely lost it, mind you) has added to the enjoyment in ways we had never expected.

And we are going along with their recommendation this weekend at Willow Springs – we will each drive all four sessions in one day. We going to give this format another try – it seems that I let my wife down last time and to her, I didn’t appear to be fully engaged in supporting her when it came to her day out on the track. And that’s something I can easily rectify! No kidding …

So, probably I will take the Saturday with my wife Margo, taking Sunday. I am hopeful that I will be OK-ed for HPDE 2 as I really enjoy this circuit. And yes, the ‘Vette stays behind once again as we continue in the Infiniti coupe. Not a bad second option I have to admit. Still, not a BMW 325 or whatever, but not bad all the same.

I continue to enjoy the commentary and the advice that is posted here. For those that do like reading the blog I maintain then the next update will follow the weekend at Willow Springs and I will be quick to include a link (the right link this time) once it has been posted.

Cheers,

Richard

Well, things are looking up!

Great weekend at WSIR - different, but great ... more to follow, but SoCal leadership really stepped in and we both improved noticeably ... again, this may be of little interest to some NASA members - but the goal is not always to become racers and it's been good to see how NASA responded to members who truly do just want to go out and drive fast, have fun, and do so safely .... at the very least, we aren't just sitting at home, watching the races, with perfectly good cars sitting in the garage ...

We were both very (and pleasantly) surprised to find out how many folks read these posting and to see so many come up to us, talk to us, and to provide us with encouragement. It really did make a difference and we want to thank all those that took time out to just say Hi!

More to follow - and look for a blog posting to http://www.buckle-up-travel.blogspot.com/ later this week!

Well, things are looking up!

Great weekend at WSIR - different, but great ... more to follow,

Good to hear that. Watch out for Turn 9. It's swallowed many a car!

I finally started reading your blog. Not the car stuff, mind you, but the IT stuff. Fascinating!

Edit: Regarding your dilemma, I'll offer the standard Grass Roots Motorsports Forum answer: Buy two Miatas

Turn 9 - pretty fmailiar with it but in the new car it took me to the 4th session to get a predictable, consistent line throug it. Kind of good feeling as you nail it though - and a huge difference to your speed down the striaght!

As for the car's for NASA - you may be right! Two Miata's .... although in SoCal there's a lot of support for early model BMW 3's ...

My business blog, eh? On IT? Glad to hear you like it - that's developed quite the following of late and running with NASA has given me lot's of ideas for storylines - even in business.

Again, thanks ....

• 3 weeks later...

It's about to come full circle. We have registered for both Buttonwillow (June 27 - 28) and Cal Speedway (Aug 1 -2) and fitting it all in will be tight. As we finish Buttonwillow we pack trackside for the dash back to Boulder, CO as we head for vacation a few days later.

But we are continuing to improve (1) stepping back to the smaller Infiniti G37S (and what a surprise package this has turned out to be), and (2) eacf of us spending one full day in the car, driving all four sessions. Go figure - the instructors did know something after all. And they too have helped in keeping us both engaged by being extremely generous with "passenger seat" time in their own cars where watching them lay down laps with competitive times has been a joy to watch. Thanks guys!

So, in a little over a month's time we will return to Cal Speedway and to where it all began. And the comments, indeed encouragement, we received is truly appreciated. Many thanks ...

Richard and Margo

(1) stepping back to the smaller Infiniti G37S (and what a surprise package this has turned out to be)

I'm glad I read till the end to see this... my wife has a G37 and, although infrequent, any time I have that car on the track, it is a LOT of fun. Even in stock form and a decent driver, it can keep up with some pretty "quick" cars

Yes it is - and I have had to revisit earlier observations about it ... we had a Pontiac Solstice that we simply couldn't do anyting with and there was no way we could take it to the track. Adding a rollbar would simply have ended it's useful street life as it would have demolished the soft top mechanisms ... so we traded for the G37S and were pretty disappointed at first to lose the ragtop ... particularly, here in So Cal.

But no, there's no disappointment now ... drive the doors off it! And have fun ...

• 2 weeks later...

For those looking out for us this weekend at BW, sudden family illness forced us to head bak to Boulder, CO for a couple of weeks. But yes, we're on for Cal Speedway for sure - we need to get that under our belt before the year wraps-up ....

And we will be back for the BW weekends in Oct and Nov ... oh well, we couldn't help this and sure will miss the weekend with all who will be participating. And looking at other postings, sounds like another newbie will be making their debut!

Cheers .... Richard

No, the event in August is at PPIR, infield course which uses part of the oval, just south of Fountain (~1.5 hours south of Denver). PPIR is building a new road course, but it won't be ready until next year.

Ah, I was off by a month - what's this one day event in September - combo HPDE and Enduro - I may be back in Boulder then as well and I really want to take a look at the new track ....

Richard

As it stands now, on Sunday the 27th of September, we will be having HPDE sessions plus a 3 hour enduro at the new track. I don't know what the schedule will be (HPDE in the morning, race in the afternoon, vice versa, or race in the middle of the day with HPDE sessions on either side ... I don't know), but it should be entertaining. The new track is quite nice for spectators as paddock is not in the infield, allowing attendees to come and go as they please while the track is hot.

When will the site be open for registration - or has it all sold out - as we should be back in Boulder that weekend ... this does look like a good track.

In the meantime, we are sad to be missing our friends at BW this weekend ... it's just not the same! Richard

• 1 month later...

Well, it's back to the beginning so as to speak. The car is packed and we are ready to head to our hotel .... and tomorrow, it's onto the track at Cal Speedway for another try.

In the meantime, we scaled back our car from the supercharged C6 Vette to an Infiniti G37 coupe; and we now each take a full day of sessions behind the wheel (rather than alternating sessions across the two day weekend). So, go figure - the instructors did know a thing or two ... and they have been terrific these past couple of months.

Our experience has grown and our confidence is a lot higher - and we are looking forward to seeing how the weekend develops. We will post after the event - so stay tuned! And again, thanks to all those who provided encouragement along the way ... it was all greatly appreciated.

Well, what a blast ... turned out that after just one weekend at Auto Club Speedway (Cal Speedway) it has leaped to first place in terms of favorite tracks .... the Infiniti G37 performed flawlessly, I took to the track and was smooth (and confidence grew) and come Sunday morning, my instructor Derek OKed me to run Group 2 and that I did for three more sessions Sunday. Again, what a blast ... and what an ending for something that started out so uncertainly only 4 or 5 months back.

I want to thank all of those who commented here - believe it or not, every comment was important for us. And stay tuned for the next posting I make to the blog ... could be fun!

Cheers .... Richard

• 2 weeks later...