Trailer Winches

rlipner

I'd like to get a trailer winch for my 20ft Hallmark. Yes, it's prep to recieve a winch but I like a recommendation or two. I'd like for it to have a remote and be able to tow a 3000 lb car on wheels. Thanks

I bought this one in momentary lapse of good judgment. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95912 If you’re just looking for something to get the job done on occasion it’s OK… As it turn out, I use it a lot more than I thought I would. Here are some things I learned from my experience with this one:

1. Winch load rating seems to be a subjective thing. My 3000 lb winch struggles to pull my 1900 lb car over the gap between the ramp and the trailer floor.

2. Pay attention to speed under load, unless you have time to kill.

3. The wireless remote keeps installation neat, although you can’t stray too far from the winch or the cable will wind into a mess.

I asked Warn which winch they recommended for this exact same purpose. They hooked me up with a 3700. Without using a snatch block, it pulled a Pontiac Firebird onto my trailer easily and quickly. Warn told me there was no need to get a bigger winch, and I now feel the same.

I got a Superwinch S4000 from Amazon for my Honda which weighs around 2200 lbs. There is a S4000 and a S5000 and other models at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=superwinch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The winch came with a 30' control cord, which I extended. There is also an extra cost option for a remote switch. Note - when I got the winch, I had a trailer shop weld the plate under the floor to the frame of the trailer. - Jim