widening a seat

teamjames

My husband and I are just getting into racing. We just purchased a race car but the seat is too small. The previous owner mentioned that there was a tool you can use (similar to the jaws of life) that slowly widens the seat. I have been online all afternoon trying to get information on how to do this. Any suggestions? Will it work or are we just destroying a seat that we could possibly sell and put the money towards a new set up?

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing but I don't know everything.

Regardless of what type of seat it is, altering the structure is going to compromise some properties of the seat which might render it unsafe and might push the seat closer to a failure point.

Your best and safe option would be to sell that old seat and get a new one that fits your requirement.

Are you meaning just widening the rib supports or the actual butt part of the seat. Rib supports are easy to widen, a floor jack and a couple 2x4 is all you need. As for the widening the butt part, dont even attempt, just get another seat. You can only widen the butt part by adding metal in, not stretching. You can order a cheapo safer racer seat for $100 thats the right size.

with the seat being the foundation of the safety setup it seems.. I'd sell the old and buy a different one that was correct for your sizes... my $0.01