To shave or not to shave --- Toyo RA1

Dynamite924s

I am thinking of picking up a set of Toyo RA1's since they are now available again for a limited time - Size 225/50-15's. As far as a DE should I leave them unshaved?

I have been running on Sumitumo HTR z's 205/50 - 15 ( widest 15" available in flavor) and am very happy with them considering the price, ($50 each). I am also considering other street tires in 225/50 - 15, but a set RA1's on my "momentum car" - Porsche 924S - homer.gif arghh RA1's.

Disclaimer: I am NOT A TIRE EXPERT, just an average driver

I have purchased 2 sets of RA1s, both with full tread..they ran fine and had great wear in both HPDE & TT events... I am sure they are faster when shaved over full tread when new..but if you are not racing, it doesn't likely matter.

*if* you can push the tire pretty decent from day 1 you'll get better life shaven to about 4/32nds vs full tread. If you're still learning, get full tread

*if* you can push the tire pretty decent from day 1 you'll get better life shaven to about 4/32nds vs full tread. If you're still learning, get full tread

I am always still learning; although I was a little slow to discover that truth. Just looking for the longest and most consistent life for the tires; consider the first few/several heat cycles will be comparatively mild as I find new limits that I am comfortable exploring.

consider the first few/several heat cycles will be comparatively mild as I find new limits that I am comfortable exploring.

I'd go with the full treads then

I didn't like my RA-1's at full depth, since the compound is very soft the tread blocks had a HUGE amount of "squirm", it made quick transitions and turn in feel mushy, like I was getting a flat tire!

I ended up driving them on the street for a couple of months (lots of fun!) to try and wear them down. If it's going to be a track only tire, I'd shave them.