brake fluid, what should i run

malibuguy

i'm getting ready to upgrade my braking components on my little tercel, going with larger 1st gen paseo rotors, calipers, master cylinder, braided lines, & probably Hawk HP Plus pads...maybe something else, i'm not sure yet

i'm not sure what to get for brake fluid...the car is a DD that will see track time hopefully by summer...so i think i'd need more then a standard fluid...

suggestions???

any of the paddock favorites would be fine:

ATE Super Blue (or Gold)

Motul 600

etc

something thats north of 500* dry boil point outta do the trick They're all "DOT3" classification, but there is quite a bit of variance between the crap that comes in cars and the stuff designed for track applications (namely dry & wet boiling points)

Unless there is something crazy about your brake setup that outta do it I would speculate... I'm able to flush my MR2 with a half-liter, but just barely. Small car so short lines, small brake calipers, etc...

For cheap and easy to find fluid, I go with Prestone DOT 4. It has a dry boiling point of 500F, and it holds up decently on the track in my experience. It's quite similar to Valvolene's SynPower brake fluid, which is no longer available. Just make sure you do a complete flush and bleed.

I think I used a half liter on the me-otter...but then again I flushed more then needed. For 16 bucks a liter of ATE Blue and security of stopping...I dont mind wasting it or doing between weekend bleeds.

• 4 weeks later...

My Motive Power Bleeder lasted about 4 uses before the pump gave up.

Luckily I have a cooperative spouse. We can bleed the brakes better and just as fast.

Alan

WOW! I have used mine a least a dozen times, and loaned it out at the track 3-5 times...you must have gotten a lemon

I've got a Motive power bleeder, and it has worked pretty well for me also. One thing - if you get the universal adapter (the thing with the j bolts and little chain), then if the bolt threads bind a little (as mine did) in the cap, then you might want to drill the plastic holes slightly larger. After I drilled the holes a little, then the bolts/chain snugged up much more smoothly. - Jim