Dont be this guys..be kind to your track host communities

Speedtoys

April 25-26 Post Event Info

There was one thing that I wanted to mention as a follow up. We had a problem with one driver driving way too fast, and a bit reckless on Highway 162 (and there may have been others that we didn’t catch). He was of course ejected. See, what you do in the community of Willows reflects upon NASA to the track; and reflects upon the track to the community (since they [townspeople] lump all groups together in their minds). So, it’s very important not to be a bad example when you’re in the community where the race track exists. Please take care of Willows, like it was your second home (the track being the first!).

Willows...counts. Any zip code in/around your home racetracks, count.

I guess..if your off-track behaviour on the way to the track reflects poorly upon NASA, common decency, the track, and ALL other race groups that use it (the community will not differentiate between NASA and other groups)..then..I suppose the track has the right, or even the responsibility, to deal with it appropriately.

If you dont act in such a manner that it would cause the community to start writing hate mail to the track, then you have nothin to worry about, right?

back when I ran a university-based sports car club that held autocrosses on campus we would bounce people for driving like a jackass in the local area. We autocrossed right behind the police station and often cops would let us know what car number(s) they just happened to write a ticket to as well

I don't see any reason why a track/club can't do the same thing if needed

You can be ejected from an event due to actions away from the racetrack?

Quicker than a heartbeat. And by every organization that I've ever ran with .

You can also be arrested by local gendarme that lie in wait just looking for someone that failed to recognize the exit of the racetrack and the entry back into the real world.

"Officer, tell the court exactly how many violations did you find in the driver's conduct and with his car?"

I guess..if your off-track behaviour on the way to the track reflects poorly upon NASA, common decency, the track, and ALL other race groups that use it (the community will not differentiate between NASA and other groups)..then..I suppose the track has the right, or even the responsibility, to deal with it appropriately.

If you dont act in such a manner that it would cause the community to start writing hate mail to the track, then you have nothin to worry about, right?

Gee, if that's the case, then I hope that none of the NASA or track officials go to Hooters with us on race weekends...

We participated in some very undesirable driving at a go-kart track across from the hotel at Homestead last time...I guess we got lucky that the locals didn't notice, huh?

IMHO, this is what the police department is for, and they can collect a few bucks for the local coffers at the same time. But, as long as the entry fees for the ejectees are refunded, then it's fair enough.

Mark

But, as long as the entry fees for the ejectees are refunded, then it's fair enough.

Mark

Now thats comedy!

Alan

Now thats comedy!

Alan

I must have missed the punchline...

If you're going to boot somebody from an event because they were a jackass off-site on Saturday evening, but you're going to keep their $200-$300 entry fee for Sunday, then I call BS on it.

Maybe you thought I was talking about refunding their entry fee for the whole weekend after they had already spent a full day on track.

Mark

• National Staff

Mark, you've got to be joking. Hypothetically, if I was running an event, and I got a call on Saturday night or early Sunday am from the track, the police, or a city government official threatening to yank my event because I have idiots driving recklessly on the streets, not only would I throw them out to save my event, but if I didn't permanently eject them from NASA, I would fine them at least $250 for the headache they caused (and donate it to a local charity in that city). I wouldn't even have a thought about giving them a refund with the problems they caused for both me and NASA. Why should I take the hit financially for the participant that screwed up. Presumably, I could have filled that HPDE spot with someone else that would have paid to participate, yet not cause problems and complete the event.

No, Greg, I'm not joking. "Here's your refund, now get the hell out" will get the offender to leave on the spot and probably shame them into not coming back (further accomplished by booting them from NASA, as you suggested) while avoiding any type of conflict or argument (which should be taken into consideration, since the person is probably a bit unhinged in the first place).

Good luck in hypothetically assessing that fine, though...

Mark

depends on the fine print - I'd make sure I had a clause about being able to eject you for being a hooligan

Hooligan ON track property = charge/punish/fine/eject 'til the cows come home; that's acceptable.

Hooligan OFF track property = let the cops handle it, but eject & refund them and/or ban them from registering for another event if you feel that strongly about it.

Hell, invite the cops to park a few blocks away from the track gate at the end of the day and let them fish for ticket money when Billy Burnrubber pulls out driving like a squirrel.

Mark

Hypothetically, if I was running an event, and I got a call on Saturday night or early Sunday am from the track, the police, or a city government official threatening to yank my event because I have idiots driving recklessly on the streets, not only would I throw them out to save my event, but if I didn't permanently eject them from NASA, I would fine them at least $250 for the headache they caused (and donate it to a local charity in that city).

Not defending anyone for being an idiot on the hwy's near the track, I totally see the need to be respectful and safe. Willows is a cool little town and the locals there, or at any track, shouldn't have to worry about driving around on a race day. And NASA's reputation shouldn't be stained by a few boneheads' behavior.

But, since you are using hypotheticals, I just can't stand the thought of public servants on power trips that would shut down an event because of a speeder or two, or for people getting a little loud and rowdy in the Pizza Hut, Motel 6, Hooters, whatever. If someone was threatening that, I think they'd be leaving themselves open to lawsuits. It's not your job to police outside the fence and you shouldn't be responsible to take the financial hit because they aren't policing the streets.

I've been to Willows, I don't think we're talking about a situation like the Sturgis Rally with people doing burnouts & dougnuts on main street. And even there, they spend some of the extra revenue brought into the town to put a ton of cops on patrol, write citations and make them pay on the spot or impound their bike, so they make a load of money from the idiots too.

I'd say the majority of the locals in Willows welcome the money the racers spend in their town, in fact probably depend on it. And the taxes from those businesses contribute to the funding for the police, so they should do their job, not bully the event organizer into doing it.

And permanantly ejected from NASA because of a phone call from Deputy Barney Fife?

Your honor, I object on the grounds of my client is innocent until proven guilty.

Hooligan ON track property = charge/punish/fine/eject 'til the cows come home; that's acceptable.

Hooligan OFF track property = let the cops handle it, but eject & refund them and/or ban them from registering for another event if you feel that strongly about it.

Hell, invite the cops to park a few blocks away from the track gate at the end of the day and let them fish for ticket money when Billy Burnrubber pulls out driving like a squirrel.

Mark

hey now, leave the squirrels out of this!

Generally speaking, the guys that can't seem to follow the rules off the track can't follow them on it either. Frankly, I don't care to be next to them at 120+ mph.

Should NASA refund the guys that get parked because they ran out of fuel? The ones that miss track time because they didn't show for the drivers' meeting? The guys that have continual incidents, miss or are late to downloads, etc. , etc., etc. ?

More people need to actually read the CCR's. They're for all NASA members - not just racers. I always have a copy at the track with me, and have read mine front to back and back to front, and always have a copy with me at the track. There's a lot of ambiguity in there. Simply - if you're an asshole, yes they can send you home.

• Members

Mark

Hmm. I assessed a fine of $300 for anyone passing under yellow. After that session I had $1800 in my pocket. Easy enough.

That is quite a Draconian penalty. It still makes more sense than policing behavior outside of the event itself.

Mark

Hmm. I assessed a fine of $300 for anyone passing under yellow. After that session I had $1800 in my pocket. Easy enough.

I already addressed that:

The hypothetical "fantasy fine" involves behavior OFF track property.

Mark

Generally speaking, the guys that can't seem to follow the rules off the track can't follow them on it either. Frankly, I don't care to be next to them at 120+ mph.

Should NASA refund the guys that get parked because they ran out of fuel? The ones that miss track time because they didn't show for the drivers' meeting? The guys that have continual incidents, miss or are late to downloads, etc. , etc., etc. ?

More people need to actually read the CCR's. They're for all NASA members - not just racers. I always have a copy at the track with me, and have read mine front to back and back to front, and always have a copy with me at the track. There's a lot of ambiguity in there. Simply - if you're an a-didily-doodily, yes they can send you home.

Your second paragraph refers to ON TRACK BEHAVIOR, and related penalties are completely understandable; I'm not debating that particular subject. The absurdity started when somebody suggested that NASA fine drivers for questionable actions outside the track property.

The CCRs don't have much to say about squealing the tires when leaving Hooters (just don't lose your license in the process) or driving like jackasses at the go-kart track across the street from the hotel.

Mark

You can be ejected from an event due to actions away from the racetrack?

You can become unwelcome.

That is quite a Draconian penalty. It still makes more sense than policing behavior outside of the event itself.

Shawn needs to tell the whole story.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Buttonwillow both days. A friend of mine snapped this pic. He parked directly behind me and watched for a while. We couldn't pass up the opportunity for a shot.

BW042609.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You know, when I first read it, I agree with the OP. Who wants to be around jerks anyway.

However, TurboShortBus have very good points. And I have to admit, I'm swaying into his point of view.