Toyo RA1 Age?

bmgmd

Hi All,

I'm new to NASA and this forum, but not to HPDE in other clubs.

I just bought a pair of RA1s for upcoming events, but I am wondering how old they might be.

They have never been mounted and have the labels still on them.

They are 225/50/16 BUT have a UTQG rating of 40, yes 40. Not 60, not 100.

Toyo's website states they are currently 100.

I know how to interpret production numbers on street tires using the last four digits imprinted after the "DOT" on the tire sidewall. For example, if it is "2608", it means the tires were made on the "26"th week of 20"08".

Does that hold true to the RA1s since production?

One of my tires have "DOT CX8J 2L1383" and the other has "DOT CX8J 2L1373".

Does that mean they were made on the 13th week of 1983 and the 13th week of 1973???

They look older, but I really don't know what 26-36 year old tires would look like!

Does anyone know what years the RA1s were UTQG 40?

When where they first made?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi All,

I'm new to NASA and this forum, but not to HPDE in other clubs.

I just bought a pair of RA1s for upcoming events, but I am wondering how old they might be.

They have never been mounted and have the labels still on them.

They are 225/50/16 BUT have a UTQG rating of 40, yes 40. Not 60, not 100.

Toyo's website states they are currently 100.

I know how to interpret production numbers on street tires using the last four digits imprinted after the "DOT" on the tire sidewall. For example, if it is "2608", it means the tires were made on the "26"th week of 20"08".

Does that hold true to the RA1s since production?

One of my tires have "DOT CX8J 2L1383" and the other has "DOT CX8J 2L1373".

Does that mean they were made on the 13th week of 1983 and the 13th week of 1973???

They look older, but I really don't know what 26-36 year old tires would look like!

Does anyone know what years the RA1s were UTQG 40?

When where they first made?

Thanks,

Brian

First off. If the tires are not cracking from age, you should be ok to run them. I doubt they are any older then mid 90's. That’s when (about) toyo started making them. I know they used to come in an Autocross compound, but don't know when they stopped making the UTQG 40 compound. But this is all just info that doesn’t really matter if you’re just going to use them for fun. As long as they are safe! Even if your going to use them in Competition, my way of thinking is, if your not winning it doesn't matter if your cheating... but it you are winning, you'd better be legal....just say'n...lol

Thanks for the reply, Gian.

Would you run 10 year old "new" tires in HPDE1?

I'm contacting the dealer for a possible trade-in.

Thanks for the reply, Gian.

Would you run 10 year old "new" tires in HPDE1?

I'm contacting the dealer for a possible trade-in.

Personaly, yes I would. like I said, as long as they do not show any signs of cracks. they are good to go. I would also check time to time(after each session) for cracks and or tread seperation. It seems as long as rubber is not in direct sun light. It lasts a long...long time.

Just as a follow up, I was suspicious about the production date and called Toyo.

Turns out that the number I wrote was correct, but in the 1990s, they used the last THREE numbers:

"DOT CX8J 2L1383" -> "383" -> 38th week of 1993!

"DOT CX8J 2L1373" -> "373" -> 37th week of 1993!

Needless to say, I did not want to use 16 year old tires and returned the tires to the dealer, less a "restocking" fee (at least I was able to get something back for them).

That's the last time I get tires from eBay without getting the production codes!

Brian