Numbers - Magnets work?

bossman429

so has anyone tried reusable vinyl? I'm curious to hear about just how "reusable" it is. I'm sure it works great the first time but if its like any other kind of vinyl or decal I've seen, once you take it off, its not really that sticky anymore.

I just bought some reusable vinyl after loosing a bunch of my magnets. The material feels a lot like the stuff they make those window clings out of. The car needs to be very clean before applying them though. I'm anxious to see how well they work.

I used magnets from izoomgraphics.com at Barber a coupla weeks ago. They are individual numbers from one of their "basic autocross" sets. I chose 9 and 0 to put max surface area on the car plus giving me several number options. They did great all weekend. I did not put any tape on them, just rolled the dice to see if they would stay. This was on a Miata and top speed was ~90. I also put them well back on the doors in a slight depression in the sheet metal hoping to reduce the airflow on their leading edges.

I used magnets from izoomgraphics.com at Barber a coupla weeks ago. They are individual numbers from one of their "basic autocross" sets. I chose 9 and 0 to put max surface area on the car plus giving me several number options. They did great all weekend. I did not put any tape on them, just rolled the dice to see if they would stay. This was on a Miata and top speed was ~90. I also put them well back on the doors in a slight depression in the sheet metal hoping to reduce the airflow on their leading edges.

I've used the izoom magnets as well. They held on fine at sebring at 120 when they were new but fell off at roebling and watkins glen sometime about 6 months later. I blame myself though, a few of the numbers got bent when I stored them and caused them to not sit flush. It's also a good idea to clean the magnets and the car before applying them. I'm trying the izoom vinyls now.

I've used the reusable vinyl numbers for quite a while - around 15 track weekends total. I saved the backing paper that the numbers come on, and put them back on it after I remove the numbers being careful to not get the sticky side dirty. I put the numbers on my windows, so make sure to clean the windows well before applying the numbers. Eventually, the numbers weren't as sticky in some spots, but I just used a little blue painters tape on the edge in those locations to make sure they stayed on the car, with track speeds of say 115-120 mph. Main thing is that the reusable vinyl numbers are thick enough, work fine, and will last a fairly long time if you are careful with them. - Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I tried magnets for a while, until I had one come off on track. My current method is the back of a for sale sign I bought at Home Depot.I used racers tape to make the numbers and then use blue painters tape to stick them to the car. It is quick, easy and have never had one come off.