NASA-SE: 2009 Barber Classic, Barber, May 30-31

Jim P.

drumbeater
We have cancelled the Enduro - there weren't enough cars to warrant taking up 90 mins of track time. I will post an updated schedule with Lightning & Thunder split* this weekend.

*Sorry MCMotorsports you won't be 47th - maybe 37th tho'!

I know about 4 people, including me, that see that as welcome news.

John

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• mcmmotorsports

• jason

• Jim P.

mcmmotorsports
We have cancelled the Enduro - there weren't enough cars to warrant taking up 90 mins of track time. I will post an updated schedule with Lightning & Thunder split* this weekend.

*Sorry MCMotorsports you won't be 47th - maybe 37th tho'!

I know about 4 people, including me, that see that as welcome news.

John

You do mean about the groups being split, right? nono.gif

• Members
Don't forget the time-zone change for most of us.

If you want I can redo the schedule in Zulu (UTC) time runaway.gif

Good idea! Barber is the only event that I don't have a time zone change. This way everyone would be confused. And while you are at it, you could do the schedule in Swahili...

Doesn't matter. I don't think any of us wear watches, and we all lose our schedule 30sec after parking. Except for Toby, who wears his around his neck, but is usually at the other end of the paddock fixing somebody's valve spring with a paper clip and a chewing gum rapper.

Except for Toby, who wears his around his neck, but is usually at the other end of the paddock fixing somebody's valve spring with a paper clip and a chewing gum rapper.

Damn if that's not the truth! He's the champion of doing the most with the least.

works for me..

Ditto on Toby - since I have been the reciepent of his repairs more then once...

FandangoDrew

I know that we have lost money at Barber in the past and Jim has worked very hard to try to get the BMP weekend in the black and I love running at Barber but if the only way that we can afford to go there is to lease out so much time to the radicals that we overcrowd our groups and/or drop the enduro .... can we really afford to go to Barber or is it worth it?

From an economic stand point by subsidizing the weekend with an outside group we are only helping to justify Barber's pricing schedule which I am assuming must be out of line with other tracks or we would not have such an issue losing money there. I am not saying that just because we pull our date that they would have to lower their rate, but by paying it we do insure that it stays where it is (or goes up).

I would love to hear some opinions.

Drew,

Yes Barber is more expensive, yet many clubs and for profits do quite well there without having to sell time or squeeze groups. Here are some examples.

PCA (club, non-profit) - $389 - 5 run groups

PBOC (profit) - $400+ for DE (three run groups), racing $450. Racers get 2.5 hrs on Saturday (1/2 hr practice, 1/2 qual, 1.5 hr enduro; Sun 1/2 hr qualifying and two 30 minute sprints).

Chin - $500 +, 3 run groups, lots and lots of time.

So, yes it can be done, typically by charging more per driver. Most are willing to pay it as long as they get adequate track time (I am!).

I think one of my biggest issues is that NASA keep adding groups to the weekend roster. This one was compounded by canceling Friday and adding the radicals.

NASA ($399 with late fee, don't remember what I paid earlier) - 7 run groups What kind of time will we get, looks like racers will get 1:05 hours of track time per day Radicals are getting 1.5 hrs/day

Compare NASA to PBOC, racer cost is $3.10/min (NASA) and $1.80/min (PBOC).

Drumrboy

Are the other groups all weekend events? I know that sometimes the mid-week one-day events are reasonably priced, but weekends are always pricey.

Not condoning Barber's pricing strategy, just askin'....

I know that we have lost money at Barber in the past and Jim has worked very hard to try to get the BMP weekend in the black and I love running at Barber but if the only way that we can afford to go there is to lease out so much time to the radicals that we overcrowd our groups and/or drop the enduro .... can we really afford to go to Barber or is it worth it?

From an economic stand point by subsidizing the weekend with an outside group we are only helping to justify Barber's pricing schedule which I am assuming must be out of line with other tracks or we would not have such an issue losing money there. I am not saying that just because we pull our date that they would have to lower their rate, but by paying it we do insure that it stays where it is (or goes up).

I would love to hear some opinions.

When I registered for the event I had not checked the schedule yet, when I did and noticed that we (both race groups) would be run together and some "outside" group would get the other run group I was a bit disappointed. I was having a hard time justifying the full-price entry fee while sharing track time and even considered canceling my registration. Now that we have our own group due to a schedule change I'm glad I didn't.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I for one would like to see BMP stay on the schedule as it's the only track somewhat near me (Nashville TN). I know that NASA is a business and it needs to make cents financially I just don't know what the tipping point is as far as $ versus track time and what people are willing to pay for. I think in the end people will pay a little more as long as they are getting a little more.

My .02, FWIW.

Gate fees: Everyone (drivers, crew, family, friends) arriving during NASA registration hours will be charged $10 ea.

Huh???

Raznkane
Gate fees: Everyone (drivers, crew, family, friends) arriving during NASA registration hours will be charged $10 ea.

Huh???

+1

I guess next year it will be a fee for use of the toilet.