NASA-SE: 2009 Barber Classic, Barber, May 30-31

Jim P.

sperkins
Gate fees: Everyone (drivers, crew, family, friends) arriving during NASA registration hours will be charged $10 ea.

Huh???

Where did you read that?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• mcmmotorsports

• jason

• Jim P.

• Members
Gate fees: Everyone (drivers, crew, family, friends) arriving during NASA registration hours will be charged $10 ea.

Huh???

Way to take it out of context - Barber is hosting the "Sports Cars in the Park and Lotus Owners Club Show" and we negotiated a lower rate for the NASA members as long as we register them - if you get there late on Saturday expect to pay:

Anyone arriving at any other time will be charged the Barber Spectator Fee ($25 ea)

WOW! We go to bat for you and convince the Barber folks that you shouldn't have to pay the $25 gate fee and this is the thanks we get...

Jim,

I have family coming to watch me kick butt on Sunday , can I pay for them on Friday when I register even if they are not there at that time?

• Members
Jim,

I have family coming to watch me kick butt on Sunday , can I pay for them on Friday when I register even if they are not there at that time?

Get with Julie - the key issue would be that they need to sign a waiver and get a wristband to get past the guard gate...

FandangoDrew

WOW! We go to bat for you and convince the Barber folks that you shouldn't have to pay the $25 gate fee and this is the thanks we get...

I don't think that any of us will ever know/understand all the work you and Julie do "going to bat" for us!

Thank you!

I don't think that any of us will ever know/understand all the work you and Julie do "going to bat" for us!

Thank you!

Ditto! It's understandable that people aren't that happy about shelling out a little extra here and there. But, kudos to you for keeping the events coming our way... even in a troubled economy when the risks are higher. You have my support (even if I have to pay for my own lunch sometimes).

Huh???

Way to take it out of context - Barber is hosting the "Sports Cars in the Park and Lotus Owners Club Show" and we negotiated a lower rate for the NASA members as long as we register them - if you get there late on Saturday expect to pay:

Anyone arriving at any other time will be charged the Barber Spectator Fee ($25 ea)

But we like hitting you with a bat....

fhturner

Huh???

Not so, according to Zoom/Barber:

There is a fee for spectators. It is up to NASA who they distribute credentials to. Anyone who doesn’t have credentials will need to purchase a ticket.

This would indicate that as long as you are credentialed by NASA as a driver or crew member, there is NO fee charged by Barber (not $25, not $10...). If you are merely a non-credentialed spectator, however, the $25 fee applies.

Ugh, this thread has gotten ugly. Look we all have choices. Either you can choose to support NASA and the decisions they make, or you can choose to not participate. Very simple.

Why's everyone got to be so bitchy? Geez.

fhturner

Seems like it happens every year about Barber.

Not gettin' ugly or bitchy, and the venue's got nothing to do w/ it...just clarifying Barber's official position. There just seems to be a misunderstanding about the spectator fee. If you are credentialed w/ NASA as a driver or crew member, Barber DOES NOT charge you their only individual fee, the spectator fee. If NASA is charging an extra $10 on top of the registration fee for drivers or crew, it would appear to be their call, not Zoom's/Barber's.

tonycook
Ugh, this thread has gotten ugly. Look we all have choices. Either you can choose to support NASA and the decisions they make, or you can choose to not participate. Very simple.

I don't know if I'd call it bitchy. The majority of us are adults and can have a discussion. I enjoy participating with NASA. I'd call Jim a friend, but this is also his business. I presume he derives a substantial portion of his income from NASA. We don't really have a vote other than not participating. We can express our opinions and he can do what he wants with them. I think he usually tries to make us happy. This is my opinion.

For the record; my registration fee was increased $60 four days earlier than normal and $10 was added for gate fees. I'll pay $70 over the original advertised price. (Before any of my family come to the track to watch) Like alot of us, I spent a good bit of time getting the car ready, took time off from work and planned to participate; so I paid the extra and consider it a lesson.

If NASA needs to add a surcharge to the event, that's how it is. I would suggest calling it what it is and putting it out in the open. That too is my opinion.

Hope we all have a good time at Barber and the weather is sunny and cool.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

Tony Cook

Sorry if I took it out of context, but that's exactly how it reads in the Supps you directed us to. It says nothing about a Lotus show.

I know you and Julie work hard to give us a good product. Thanks for that.

.....Thanks for letting me have my say.

Tony Cook

People are granted that right in this country...input on both sides matters...me and many others have risked their lives for that priviledge

I do my best to praise in public and chastise in private....unless they really pi$$ me off....

• Members

Guys,

Barber was going to charge everyone a gate/spectator fee, we argued that our drivers shouldn't have to pay that fee and thus we were able to exclude our NASA drivers and crew pay the $25 gate fee. We also realized that we do not have enough entries to cover the expenses of the weekend so to try and not lose too much money we added a $10 gate fee that Julie was only going to charge drivers who get in free, crew and anyone who is over 18yrs old. But that is hard to describe in a one line sentence in the Supps. Barber is a unique track, and yes, this happens every year with our event at Barber, since it is a losing proposition for us I can honestly say that this will most likely be the last year that NASA-SE will host an event at Barber.

I realize that there are other organizations that can make an event profitable at Barber but we have a lot of overhead in our events that many other organizations probably don't have, add to that a short track (2.3 mi) with limited hours that is expensive and we simply cannot squeeze enough into a weekend there to break even.

Funny thing is someone stated earlier in this thread that NASA should charge more for the events and let less people in and yet everyone is upset over a $10 fee...

Mike Simard

Funny thing is someone stated earlier in this thread that NASA should charge more for the events and let less people in and yet everyone is upset over a $10 fee...

It's just human nature. Like ATM fees, people will not flinch when 25% of their paycheck is taken before they see it but will have cows over a 1$ ATM fee.

I hope you guys don't let these discussions get to you and have us miss tracks like Barber. I bet you could raise the overall fee, provide more track time to NASA members and it would work out.

• Members
Shawn T.
I hope you guys don't let these discussions get to you and have us miss tracks like Barber. I bet you could raise the overall fee, provide more track time to NASA members and it would work out.

I agree with Mike. I signed up for Barber in December as it is one of my favorite tracks and it is easy for me to get to. I do not want to see a 2010 schedule of CMP and RA every other month. Jim, please consider us folks not residing in the Carolinas and figure out a way to make this work in the future.

tonycook

I think you can make Barber work. Charge more upfront. Decrease cost: leave some staff at home. Fewer run groups with max cars. Solo only: everyone pays. Barber is the closest track for a lot of folks. Other groups have overhead and they make it work.

427Mustang

Late to the discussion here, and I don't have time right now to read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been covered already.

If this is unique to Barber, what was the $10 fee that I was charged at the gate at Road Atlanta in March?

It would be a shame to have Barber dropped from the list of tracks in the SE as it is the most technical track in the SE. But the costs associated with Barber make it a challenge to host an event and wind up in the black. I suspect that the low attendance at Barber is at least partly to do with the fact that most SE folks have a "center of gravity" biased well east and north of Barber, thus making the trip to Barber be more than four hours. I don't have a lot of sympathy for that as for me RA is a 4 hour trip, CMP is 8 hours, Roebling would be 7-8 hours, mid Ohio is 10 hours, VIR about 11 hours... You just have to be willing to spend time on the road to get quality track time.

It's just human nature. Like ATM fees, people will not flinch when 25% of their paycheck is taken before they see it but will have cows over a 1$ ATM fee.

I agree. I think it may have caught people a little off guard. A brief explanation about why the (minimal) $10 fee was in place would have prevented any back lash. If the ten bucks had been included in the registration fee I don't think anyone would have said a word. Communication is key - especially when people's money is concerned.

Hopefully this can all be worked out. I would like to see BMP stay.

kbrew8991
We have cancelled the Enduro

That SUCKS! - why not cancel the radicals and let the enduro drivers have their time!

make room in your schedule next year for NASA-TX's 8hr @ TxWS, skip these piddly 90min ones

kbrew8991

a $10 gate fee was an easy enough sell to get some friends out there to spectate and check it out

a $25 gate fee is nigh impossible

I'm still encouraging them to come out, but I'm letting every single one know that's too high a price to spectate an amateur race and amateur car show. At least they know ahead of time though...

is it $25 to get in on Sunday as well even though there is no car show that day?

99V6Chick

Well, looking at Barber's website, I see something completely different: $20 single day passes at the gate or $30 two day passes at the gate: http://www.southtix.com/bmp531.html

Barber Sportscar Classic

NASA (sportscar racing)

Lotus Owners Group

Saturday-Sunday, May 30-31, 2009

at Barber Motorsports Park

Birmingham, Alabama

Event Info & schedule

Track Info

Purchase Tickets Online- Page 1 of 2

Tickets : Children 15 & under are free with a paying adult. Lawn seating (bring blankets, lawn chairs).

Ticket includes Paddock access. (Crew passes must be purchased at the track.)

Ticket includes free parking. Advance prices available thru Friday May 29.

$25 - 2 Day Admission Sat.-Sun. (Tickets will be $30 at the gate)

$15 - Saturday General Admission (Tickets will be $20 at the gate)

$15 - Sunday General Admission (Tickets will be $20 at the gate)