NASA-SE: 2009 Barber Classic, Barber, May 30-31

Jim P.

sperkins
If the ten bucks had been included in the registration fee I don't think anyone would have said a word. Communication is key - especially when people's money is concerned.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner. Let's all be realistic about this. For those of us that are fortunate enough to afford to do these events, ten bucks aint diddly. The failure here was simply in the delivery.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• mcmmotorsports

• jason

• Jim P.

• Members

I guess we should've been clearer - the $10 gate fee only applies to those who did not pay an entry fee, ie. Instructors and crew.

FWIW: In better economic times we had sponsors for the dinners and trophies, etc. - that is where the gate fee goes to cover the awards, food and libations at the saturday awards ceremony.

If y'all haven't checked the details, that Lotus group is not simply a saturday car show...it is a 4 day event. You can get more info @ http://log29.org, where their schedule looks interesting to say the least. I'm not sure how they are going to pull off the sat afternoon skidpad thing with the NASA crew in the paddock. If the schedule is correct though, it looks like Mr Barber will be exercising some of his Lotus collection during lunch on Sunday.

I'm not sure how they are going to pull off the sat afternoon skidpad thing with the NASA crew in the paddock. If the schedule is correct though, it looks like Mr Barber will be exercising some of his Lotus collection during lunch on Sunday.

Good catch on the paddock conflict. Also, his lap times are from noon to one when HPDE 1&2 are scheduled to be on track (lunch break on Sunday is always 11-12 for quiet hours).

kbrew8991

honestly I hope they're giving NASA a discount on their rental for having all this extra crap causing headaches for everyone The people coming won't spend more than 5 min tops over there at this Lotus crap if anything, they're here for the racing...

Drumrboy

I was curious about the firmness of the 5:00 gate opening on Friday (and I did slog through all 16 pages just to make sure i didn't miss it)....several people offered opinions - probably correct - that the overly regimented Barber schtaff wouldn't think of opening the gates before 5:00.

But I didn't see anything from Jim or Julie on that. If you're out there, can you confirm that's the case or not?

Danke

Skid pad event is Monday

This is listed on Saturday:

3:00 PM 5:00 PM Car Control Clinic Barber Mtorsports Park Skidpad, Paddock Level 2 and 3

drumbeater

It's strange that there is three more pages of discussion over this little thing than there was over grouping Lightning and Thunder together. We've all got to realize by now that a hobby like this is like going to Disney World. Everytime you turn around it's going to be another $20 (exept in our case it's another $50.)

I picked my car up from the painter the other day and my brand new 17" Longacre mirror was cracked. Probably had 2 hours of use. You just have to roll with the punches.

DB

I was curious about the firmness of the 5:00 gate opening on Friday (and I did slog through all 16 pages just to make sure i didn't miss it)....several people offered opinions - probably correct - that the overly regimented Barber schtaff wouldn't think of opening the gates before 5:00.

But I didn't see anything from Jim or Julie on that. If you're out there, can you confirm that's the case or not?

Danke

I'm not confiming this but look again at the daily schedule of events and on the right side of the home page for the event, I saw it listed Fri 5-8 PM Techistration. The below is a copy and paste from the main event page, you just needed to scroll down to find it:

Overview of Weekend Schedule*

*Official Schedule will be out Wednesday the week before the event

Day Time Activity

Friday 5p-8p Techistration

Saturday 6:30a-8:15a Techistration

7:30a ALL HANDS MEETING

8a Sessions Begin

12n-1p Lunch

5:30p Awards Party

Sunday 7:30a ALL HANDS MEETING

8a Sessions Begin

11a-12n Lunch

5p End of Event

Drumrboy

It seems easier (though more disorganized) when folks show up gradually over time.

Generally at Barber there's an event going on the Friday before, so everyone parks in that dust bowl at the bottom of the hill and then there's an Oklahoma sooner-style rush once the gates open (trailers substituted for stage coaches and race cars instead of horses...but really about the same).

I was just wondering if, because there may be no event preceding us, we might be able to avoid the gold rush.

kbrew8991

will we be able to get in and set up a spot in the paddock after registration closes?

- KB, who won't be getting into the Birmingham area until 7:30ish

......I was just wondering if, because there may be no event preceding us, we might be able to avoid the gold rush.

Barber never lets people in early on Friday .

cwbaader

The reason Barber does not open the gates early is that Friday, if rented, the renter has the track 'till 5pm. So, technically, NASA's rental does not begin until 5pm. Now if we can get Julie and Jimmy to stroke Heather, perhaps we can....or not. Chuck

kbrew8991

well I just got my question answered via email but figured I'd share the info in case anyone needed it

you need a wristband to be able to get in - so if you arrive too late (ie after registration closes) I guess you're SOL and will have to wait until the morning.

• Members
Can short sleeves be worn on track for non-race sessions? Yes

What is the:

Spectators fee? $30 (3-day), $20 (Sat), $20 (Sun)

camping fee? $25 per vehicle slept in

Electric fee? $25 per day

what are the concession stand hours? Usually 6:30am to around 3:00pm (probably 2:00pm on Sunday)

mcmmotorsports
Can short sleeves be worn on track for non-race sessions? Yes

What is the:

Spectators fee? $30 (3-day), $20 (Sat), $20 (Sun)

camping fee? $25 per vehicle slept in

Electric fee? $25 per day

what are the concession stand hours? Usually 6:30am to around 3:00pm (probably 2:00pm on Sunday)

am I reading this right? a Barber staff member using the words USUALLY and PROBABLY.

They've mellowed somewhat since the early days.

long way to go still

Why, I'm there all the time and have no problem with them.

Can you give us some concrete examples?

kbrew8991

compare RoadAtl's flexibility, ease of getting in, fees, etc vs Barber's. Both are considered on par in terms of facilities, best apples-to-apples comparison I can think of. Not nearly this amount of "do it our way or get bent".

if there are some tips and tricks that will make our lives easier with these people, do share... you're there all the time, surely you know some, right??

Ease of getting in is an issue with the track often being rented on Friday. At our last PCA event a few months ago we got in the gate by 4pm? However, I will concede that this does not happen often. However, I don't think I've ever been allowed into RA before 5pm the day before the event starts?

Not sure what it costs to rent RA, but rental of Barber is around 16-17K/day depending on what all you get.

With the other clubs that I belong (PCA and BMWCCA) there is nothing but positive interactions between the clubs and Barber/Zoom.

As for getting along well with the Barber/Zoom folks, its easy, when you talk to them say, "hey, how are you doing" instead of F-off.