Putnam Park recap from TTC... pics and vid...

cuonice

This was my first TT and I was driving the silver S2000 in TTC... what a weekend! The track conditions were a bit hairy on Saturday, but I don't think we could have asked for much better weather on Sunday. The AST shocks on the S2000 were really hooking up on Sunday and I was able to lay a couple 1:17's down; the best of which was a 1:17.68. That time was good enough to best the previous track record of 1:20.6 held by a man I have a great deal of respect for, Mr. John Slinkard.

Onto the pics and videos:

This video was from a practice day on Friday. It was the first session of the day and the temperature was a crisp 53*. It was also my first on track time with the car on the new AST shocks. I wanted to get out and push the car hard right away to get a feel for the car's new breakaway characteristics. The two laps are a 1:19.9 and 1:19.8 respectively. Nothing compared to the 1:17's from Sunday, but these are more entertaining to watch

This video is from Sunday. I don't have the 1:17.68 on tape, but these are some 1:17.9's from an earlier session. The car and track really felt great... only issue was that the front left tire was going away on me causing a bad push through turns 9 and 10. The car felt great though!

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0341-1.jpg

-Aaron Leichty

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RACER-X

• vpnwiz

• phoenixR34

• kbrew8991

When I saw your grid position on Sunday my first thought was that Slink showed up in a new car. Great driving

Car looks good.

Care to share any info on your setup? ie: weight/power, tires, etc?

Thanks! The performance additions to the car are basically comprised of AST shocks (vorshlag.com), Hypercoil 700#F & 650#R springs, a flamboyant wing by Voltex, and 255 Nitto NT01 tires. The car also has a Mugen hard top and an Amuse front bumper. The motor, intake, exhaust, etc are all stock. It weighs in around 2865 with driver.

When I saw your grid position on Sunday my first thought was that Slink showed up in a new car. Great driving

Thanks a lot! I thought it was only fitting that someone camp an S2000 out in Z06 country since Slinkard couldn't be there to do it himself

...The performance additions to the car are basically comprised of AST shocks (vorshlag.com), Hypercoil 700#F & 650#R springs, a flamboyant wing by Voltex, and 255 Nitto NT01 tires. The car also has a Mugen hard top and an Amuse front bumper. The motor, intake, exhaust, etc are all stock. It weighs in around 2865 with driver.

Wow, that is a smoking time around Putnam for a C, B or A car. Are you positive your car classes in TTC? Did you have anyone do a walkaround with you, the car, and the form?

...The performance additions to the car are basically comprised of AST shocks (vorshlag.com), Hypercoil 700#F & 650#R springs, a flamboyant wing by Voltex, and 255 Nitto NT01 tires. The car also has a Mugen hard top and an Amuse front bumper. The motor, intake, exhaust, etc are all stock. It weighs in around 2865 with driver.

Wow, that is a smoking time around Putnam for a C, B or A car. Are you positive your car classes in TTC? Did you have anyone do a walkaround with you, the car, and the form?

100% positive. I had Mike Ruth, who placed 2nd in TTC, check out the car (form in hand). I also went over the details of the car with Bryan Cohn and welcomed any challenge as to the car's classification.

It's a TTC car with room to spare... I dream of Hoosiers

-Aaron Leichty

Don't be 100% sure! Just from what was posted, if the shocks are AST 4100s (with a retail lower than $2400), then car is maxed in TTC with 39 total points. If they are AST 4200 or higher, it's a solid TTB car, actually.

That front end kills you.. points for fascia (3), splitter (3) and canards (2). I had the same deal on my TTC S2000 a while back and promptly got a call from Greg Greenbaum about it.

Then you figure 5 for shocks/springs, 7 for NT01s, 1 for 255s, 4 for wing.. 14 for **. 39 points exactly. Hopefully you don't have anything else... I'm curious how they classed it in your region, because I don't see any room to burn.

I was watching you on Saturday (I was working Black Flag) and the car looked good on the track. Congrats again on a good weekend!!

-Justin

Don't be 100% sure! Just from what was posted, if the shocks are AST 4100s (with a retail lower than $2400), then car is maxed in TTC with 39 total points. If they are AST 4200 or higher, it's a solid TTB car, actually.

That front end kills you.. points for fascia (3), splitter (3) and canards (2). I had the same deal on my TTC S2000 a while back and promptly got a call from Greg Greenbaum about it.

Then you figure 5 for shocks/springs, 7 for NT01s, 1 for 255s, 4 for wing.. 14 for **. 39 points exactly. Hopefully you don't have anything else... I'm curious how they classed it in your region, because I don't see any room to burn.

Shocks are "4000's" with springs (+5). 255 NT01's (+8). Wing (+4). I was taking +6 for the bumper (fascia and splitter points) and was told that was proper. Doesn't really matter either way as the rest of the car is 100% stock and it weighs in over min. comp. weight. Stock intake, motors, exhaust, sway bars, bushings, etc. etc. etc. It's a TTC car with room to spare; as I've already said.

The car is shocks, springs, tires, and wing + a driver who was having a heck of a lot of fun this weekend. Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Shocks are "4000's" with springs (+5). 255 NT01's (+8). Wing (+4). I was taking +6 for the bumper (fascia and splitter points) and was told that was proper. Doesn't really matter either way as the rest of the car is 100% stock and it weighs in over min. comp. weight. Stock intake, motors, exhaust, sway bars, bushings, etc. etc. etc. It's a TTC car with room to spare...

Yeah, exactly 2 points of room to spare, which are quickly taken by the canards on that front bumper.

Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, it's just a good idea to see cars classed (or points accounted for) properly.

You going to be at blackhawk? It appears that my near stock mustang is now bumped into TTC. You can call me Hoosier fodder.

• National Staff

Brady is correct about the canard points. From the photos it does appear that the splitter component at the sides is probably not parallel to the ground. It certainly isn't at the angle of some of them out there, but it does appear that it could get protested. Taking the +2 would be the safe move, especially if you are breaking track records.

Add, replace or modify a single front splitter/spoiler/wing/foil +3 (note: This part may

extend horizontally past the side of the vehicle no greater than five inches. If any portion of

this part that protrudes from the side of vehicle is not parallel to the ground, then additional

points must be assessed for canards in 4) below.) (note: No material or part may extend the

vertical reach of the OEM front fascia without taking fascia modification points above.)

Great job with besting Slink's time. He had a really fast TTC car, and is a really good driver.

I certainly don't see any canards/dive planes on that bumper.

I think it would be a stretch(and rather unsportsmanlike) for anyone to protest that. Although, to be safe, you may want to follow Greg's advice.

• National Staff

Yep, interesting. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3297607

Last updated: Apr 14, 2009

- Saner 1.25” Adjustable front sway bar

SPC Adjustable upper ball joints

AST custom shocks

Spoon Monoblock Calipers

J’s Type-V intake duct

Turn-down exhaust

Looks like you must have taken off at least 8 points of mods since the cardomain was last updated. Also, what do you mean by "custom" AST shocks?

One thread is enough.....viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28465&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

And you say here.......http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3297607"

custom shocks (These don't even look like they're available to the public yet.)

adjustable ball joints

aftermarket sway bar

aftermarket calipers

intake tube

aftermarket exhaust

So let's review.......You start in TT-D**

TT-D........................14

bumper......................8

wing..........................4

shocks......................3.....I believe that custom AST shocks from Vorshlag are more than $2400 so this should probably be 7pts.

springs......................2

NTO1's.....................7

255's........................1

sway bar..................2

calipers....................2

aftermarket intake...1

adj ball joint.............2

exhaust....................?...I don't know what kind of exhaus your running?

spherical shock mounts? Got me on that one, anybody, does that get points???

TOTAL.....................46 Plus exhaust, shock mounts?, shocks should probably be 7 pts.

This should at the least, put you in TT-B.

Thread starter said he had someone do a walkover of his car... anyone with half a brain could see the bright blue Spoon calipers, which he didn't claim points for. So Im guessing he removed them... which makes me guess he removed the other parts too.

Goodness guys, it's a cardomain page! I felt like a ricer just creating it

All the parts mentioned above were returned to stock for the event. Some parts were sold off, some parts I'll put back on the car if I opt to race in another class. Spherical shock mounts do take points (+3). As such, I used the stock mounts with inserts. I did not take points for the adjustable ball joints as many TT S2000's use them and consider them a "simple camber adjustment." They provide no benefit beyond camber adjustment; just like some cars are allowed to use spherical shock mounts to get camber adjustment.

You can see the stock exhaust in this picture:

DSC_0036.jpg

You can see the stock brake calipers in this picture:

DSC_0092.jpg

Stock sway bar was on the car and the car is actually faster for it. The saner bar makes the car push, push, push!

Stock intake as well... I actually changed it out Friday night... changing it just means unfastening 6 clips and pulling the snorkel (it connects to the stock airbox).

Shocks are single bodied, single adjustables! Rebound only. Heck, I sold my KW V3's (double adjustable) to avoid taking extra points for shocks. My AST's are the first of their kind for the S2000, but they are definitley 3pt shocks.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With that, I am done defending myself here. I appreciate everyone's valid questions. I apologize if I have not answered every question to the poster's satisfaction. I'll be at Mid-Ohio with the same car in July. Any and all are more than welcome to come speak to me at the track with the car at our side.

-Aaron Leichty

Thanks for letting us know but what about the rest?

So let's review.......You start in TT-D**

TT-D........................14

bumper......................8

wing..........................4

shocks......................3.....I believe that custom AST shocks from Vorshlag are more than $2400 so this should probably be 7pts.

springs......................2

NTO1's.....................7

255's........................1

adj ball joint.............2

TOTAL.....................41 pts.

This still puts the car in TT-B.

the ball joint is (supposedly) camber only, so knock off 2 there = 39, TTC

Well... my front bumper doesn't give me any aero benefit but I still have to take points for it. Rule 16 under Suspension is clear. I don't see an exception for an S2000 in there...

Also, a +1 should be taken for modification of the OEM air inlets via the front fascia, rule 13 under Engine.

That bumper is really killing the points!

Edited by Guest

that pesky "unless otherwise assessed points" in free mod #12 (simple camber / caster / toe adjustment) does ding him for those ball joints after all. I was wrong. Quick someone take a picture! There was a big fat "supposedly" on that being camber only but it still doesn't matter with that clause on free mod #12. Its +2 no matter what the way things are written.

So yeah, 2 pts over the limit for TTC. Easy enough one to make a simple mistake on

So yeah, 2 pts over the limit for TTC. Easy enough one to make a simple mistake on :)

Yep. I don't think anyone is accusing Aaron of cheating. TT classing is not the easiest thing in the world!

One thing I would like clarification on for myself is that huge rear wing with the large vertical panels at both ends. I think those panels would get an additional +2 for rule 8 under Aero... "Add rear vertical panels in any location". I think the intent of that rule was to catch diffusers or vortex generators, but would also apply to this type of wing.

Greg, care to comment?

it seems to refer to diffuser (7), refer back to itself (8) (circular reference if you will..?), and refer to windshield removal (11). The diffuser makes sense, but the others don't at all... seems like a correction may be in order

that being said I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket wing without endplates like that, so that could mean that they're all going to be charged +6 (+4 and +2) instead of just +4