HDPE Steps

iBoost

Hi,

I just started reading about the HDPE program, so I know very little about it. But I'm specifically confused about it's progression. Do you take the HDPE 1 session first and then move to HDPE 2 your next time out on the track? Or do you have to participate in HDPE 1 multiple times before moving to HDPE 2 and similarlly for 2-3 and 3-4? How long does it take to get to HDPE 4 or more specifically, TT?

Also, is it recommend to attend the same track to complete each stage or your HDPE training?

I'm an avid SCCA autoXer, does this experience help me skip any section of the process? Thanks!

You have probably read this:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

Some people are ready for hpde 2 after a weekend in hpde 1, some take longer, I'm sure there have been people that never got to a point where they were ready to leave hpde 1. There's no timetable for advancement.

I've heard that drivers that come from autocrossing are a step ahead of the rest from getting limited runs of unique courses. I can't imagine being there all day and only driving for a couple of minutes. And what's this about having to work?!?

Sign up for an event in hpde 1 and check it out! Once at the track you'll find plenty of friendly people that will be glad to fill in the gaps.

Jason

Thanks for the info!

Another question: The NORCAL calendar lists locations of events; does every event have HDPE1-4 racing? What's the typical cost for NORCAL HDPE events? How much are TT events? I can't seem to find pricing info anywhere. Thanks!

// carlos

NorCal HPDEs are normall $179 per day and $299 for two days.

You should post in the Norcal forum for specifics on classes running and other pricing.

-J

• 1 month later...

So, to sign up for my first HDPE, I need to purchase a NASA membership and register for an event? Is it ok to register for just one day when doing a HDPE (specifically HDPE 1)?

• 1 month later...
So, to sign up for my first HDPE, I need to purchase a NASA membership and register for an event? Is it ok to register for just one day when doing a HDPE (specifically HDPE 1)?

You need to purchase a NASA membership to sign up for any event. There is no one day membership- it is good throughout the year.

A lot of the regions now have the HPDE Passport (which started in Norcal) where the instructors sign you off depending on how you did. It simplifies the advancement process.

With your autocross background, you should rapidly move up through HPDE1-2.

I just signed up for the Oct. 18 & 19th event. Not that it really matters, but is is possible to progress up to HPDE-2 in the same weekend? I.e. If on Sat. my instructor feels I am not a danger on the track can he/she recommend I move to the next level for the next run session or maybe the following day?

Also, I did NOT rent a transponder when I signed up for the event since I didn't see that it required one. If it turns out that I would like one (and it is allowed) can I rent one the weekend of the event?

hmm, I've already completed hpde 1&2, but I haven't gotten a passport or anything of the sort. I'm in Norcal too. It's not necessary to advance, is it?

You need to purchase a NASA membership to sign up for any event. There is no one day membership- it is good throughout the year.

A lot of the regions now have the HPDE Passport (which started in Norcal) where the instructors sign you off depending on how you did. It simplifies the advancement process.

With your autocross background, you should rapidly move up through HPDE1-2.

I participated in a HPDE in conjunction with Entropy Racing at Pocono a few weeks back. The HPDE levels were not used. Instead we used a modified color scheme. I would like to think that I was at least in HPDE-2. I am very interested in the HPDE Passport. Very neat idea. How do I do about getting one, etc?

I was at Sears Point for the HPDE back in July and they ran 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 together. The autox experience will help some, but it's very different on a big track: speeds are much higher as you approach turns and it takes some time to get used to that. Also, the consequences of going beyond the limit are more severe: you should take small steps when trying to go faster (and, of course, you have to go slow to go fast!). Still, the autox experience will help.

I've done Open Track with the NorCal Shelby Club for a couple years and I started off in HPDE2 (I probably should have been in 3, but at least it was seat time...).

You can sign up for one day of HPDE - your NASA reg is good for a year. I HIGHLY recommend Thunderhill for a new driver. It is a FAST track, but wide open: you can gain a great deal of respect for the tracks, but without all the walls of Sears Point or Laguna Seca! Great track (plus, at least in the Shelby Club, the more serious drivers seem to make the drive up!). If you aren't familiar with the tracks, the Shelby Club has some great information on the three Nor Cal tracks (http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/otbook.htm).

Get ready for a ton of fun

Raffaelli, at Pocono, we DID use the level system 1-2-3 we just didn't have a group 4 that day.

Oh, ok thanks! I didn't realize that since I had a color on my car. Looking forward to the next event at Limerock.