New to TT and NASA

subachad

Hi All,

I am new to NASA, HPDE and TT. I have ran one track day at Portland International Raceway, many autoX's and lots of RallyX's.

I finally have a decent car, and a backup car so I'm ready to further prep my fun car.

Question is what class will it be in?

The car is a 93 Subaru Impreza with the following modifications.

WRX short block with 95 2.2 liter heads and a 95 1.8 liter intake manifold. The car came with a 1.8L but that has been updated.

Custom turbo kit which includes a greddy E-manage for tuning. The exhaust had to be done from the turbo back and the exhaust manifold is still stock. The intake was fully fabricated with a short ram intake to the turbo. This makes the engine part of the calculator complicated.

HP is only about 220-240 and the car empty weighs 2730.

Eibach springs and replacement GR-2 struts

Rear swaybar from a 2.5 RS which is stock, but not until 94. So would this count? It's the same car, just a different year.

Tires are 215/45 Kumhos

Also if I could get the proper forms I need to fill out to get registered for next year?

Thanks,

Chad

P.S. I'm hoping to get a cage and seat in it sometime during the year and 'graduate' to bumper to bumper racing.

• National Staff

Chad, welcome to NASA and TT. Despite all of the information you have given above, it's not enough to classify the car. You can get an idea of what class you will be in by using the car classification tool here: http://www.nasa-tt.com/rules.php

However, there are three small items missing from the calculator that are already new rules for 2005, and we are in the process of making other changes for the 2005 rules. We will try to finish this as soon as possible so everyone can make their plans for 2005. Based on your hp/wt. ratio, I would guess that you end up in TTC, but I can't even try to calculate it without all of the info required.

You need to decide what your home region is going to be. Currently, there are not enough participants in the Nevada region (and enough events) to make up a good TT series. NorCal and SoCal run separate TT series and the points do not crossover between them in general (we may have a "crossover event", but that has not been arranged yet). You can run in both series if you desire, but there are weekends that conflict with each other. In 2005, SoCal is running at Fontana, Willow Springs, and Buttonwillow, while NorCal is running at Infineon and Thunderhill (based on the tentative schedules). If you decide to run with SoCal (which I would advise to L.V. drivers due to distance), then send me your e-mail address and I'll get you on our e-mail list so you start receiving info on a regular basis.

As far as the forms are concerned, you don't need to fill them out yet. You need to complete the car classification form by your first event date. Since the form will be changing soon, just wait till we're finished with it.

Now, there is one more thing, that will probably hold you up. One track day (despite a lot of auto-X and rally-x) does not qualify one to run HPDE4 or TT. The NASA HPDE system has a driver start in HPDE1 or 2 (if some experience), and move up to HPDE 3 then 4 by learning, improving driving skills, and showing the ability to run in a session with cars of seriously different capabilities (130hp RX7 to 500+hp Ferrari) with open passing. In SoCal we take this very seriously, which is one of the reasons that we have a very good safety record. My two primary goals for TT are for our drivers to have fun and be as safe as possible given the dangerous nature of what we are doing. The third goal is to have a great competition. Those with a competition race license are allowed to run TT, but I do reserve the right to move anyone out that endangers my first two goals. There are some drivers that have been driving track events and other TT events for years that will also be allowed to join TT without going through the HPDE system, but I take these on an individual basis.

So, our first SoCal event in 2005 is at Willow Springs on Feb 12-13, and it is a no-points event. Arizona is having a 3 day event next week on Nov 26-28 at PIR. NorCal is having an event at Infineon on Jan 22-23, and one at Thunderhill on Feb 19-20. Our first SoCal points event will be at California Speedway in Fontana on March 12-13. So, there are four potential weekends right there (9 track days), for anyone that wants to try to be ready for the start of the TT Championship Series at Fontana. Also, I know that there are some "other" clubs that will be having some track days in December, but I cannot vouch for their safety procedures. Lastly, one could take one of the (expensive) 3 day race classes that qualifies one for a provisional race license.

Whatever you decide, Chad, send me an e-mail if you are going to be with us in SoCal (even if you are going to start mid-season). One more thing, everyone has to drop at least 2 days of points for the year. So, someone can miss the first event, and still have as many points days as everyone else. Our second points event is Buttonwillow on April 9th and 10th.

Thanks for your interest, and welcome again. You will have a great time running with us, and it is the best "stepping stone" to wheel to wheel racing that I know of.

[email protected]

Greg,

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure you get this question all the time, so to help out with the barage (sp), of emails, I will keep this conversation in the forum.

I understand about the run groups and have total respect for that. I also know the information for TT's is taken from a timing box and therefore, do you think it's possible that newbie TT'ers such as myself could still run TT's even from the beginning run groups? I understand that we might be 'slowed' by the run group if we are a little faster, but then again if that is true, we will also get bumped into a faster run group.

As for region, SOCAL.

I will try and make it out to the February event. The events prior to that are too soon with what I have planned for December. (9 day trip from vegas to Portland OR then to LA for JGTC, then of course requisite family stuff and New Years expenses)

Chad

[email protected]

• National Staff

The only group that is allowed to compete in Time Trials is HPDE 4. HPDE 1 and 2 are never timed. Those groups are for beginner and intermediate level drivers that need to concentrate on car control, learning how to find the correct line around a track, and begin to learn about managing traffic. HPDE 3 is for intermediate and advanced intermediate drivers that are beginning to work on higher level skills, with more liberal passing. In SoCal we do allow HPDE 3 drivers to get times for the purpose of improving their driving skills and consistency, not for competition. Other regions do not time HPDE 3 run groups. HPDE 4 is for advanced drivers that will continue to work on their skills, but are ready for open passing and competition (Time Trials) if they desire to take part. It would be counterproductive and unsafe to allow drivers below the HPDE 4 level to compete. An intermediate level driver can improve faster if he/she is concentrating on gaining skill instead of going faster. Speed and better times come with skill, more than horsepower, at this level. Getting as much track time as possible is by far the way to go faster when you are starting out. NASA will provide the (free) instruction necessary that you won't get with other organizations.

[email protected]

Fair enough, it makes sense. Well, thanks a lot for the replies, I look forward to a good year of HPDE and hopefully I will make it into the TT's within a few track days.

Oh, one more question. If I was in the running for TT points and for some reason the car was out of commission. Would I be able to drive another car at the event and be in the same run group even though my other car would be in the slowest TT class? (It's a Daewoo Lanos)

Chad

http://www.uniquemotorsports.com

• National Staff

Good question Chad. The answer is yes, you can run another car as long as that car is in the same class or a lower class, and still get points for the class that you are competiting in. The TT championship series is a competition between drivers based on car class, not a competition between cars. A driver can change cars as many times as he/she wants as long as he fills out a classification form for that car before using it in competition. On the other hand, if a driver gets sick or can't drive his car, someone else cannot drive the car for him and get points for him.

[email protected]