Wheel and tire choice WRX

geo_wrx_27

I will need a new set of tires for everyday and occasional HPDE1 use. The vehicle is an unmodified 06 WRX.

I have two wheel choices the stock 17x7 rims and a set of 18x7.5 Enkei rims.

Which rim set would be the best choice.? What is good choice for a set of all season tires that won't cost a fortune? I am in the north-east.

If the 18s are useless, I can sell them and get something else.....

Thanks

George

Youre using all-season tires on the track?

I would sell the 18's. 17" tires are MUCH cheaper as I'm sure you know. And I'm willing to bet your 17" wheels weigh less.

If this car is driven in the winter it would be a good idea to have two sets of tires - one for track days and one for the road. All season tires don't last very long on a road course.

there are such thing as perfomance all seasons - they won't be the fastest though, but it doesn't matter for DE

I run Kumho ASTs on my street MR2 which occasionally has seen track sessions on street tires - they seemed to hold up just fine

Depending on what model Enkei - they may be lighter than the 17x7 stockers. Enkei makes some darn light wheels.

If I were you I would keep both sets of wheels -eventually they will come in handy. For right now in DE1 I would put a nice set of something like Yoko S drives or Kuhmo XS on the 18's. They are both Summer tires - but between 110-140$ I think in 245/17- so won't break you. In a couple of months put some cheapo all seasons on the 17x7 (maybe even winter tires if you get that much snow and stuff).

Its a little bit more of an investment over the next few months - but you will have a very nice set of summer/track wheels and a backup set of others to drive in the winter or on a long boring haul somewhere. And if you ever decide to upgrade to R-comps in the future, you will be happy to have the extra wheels already around.

OK, did some checking and Enkei RS-7 weighs 19.5 lbs and the stock wheels are 21 lbs, so it is an improvement. All I have to do know is shop for tires.

Thanks

George

Thought they might be lighter. My 15x7 RPF are less than 10 lbs. Lose 3lbs a corner and yes you can really feel it.

Be curious to see what tires you go with.

Any thought on the size you are aiming for? And are you still aiming for the all-season?

No thinking about ultra high performance summer tires. I dont know that I can pick up anything reasonable in a lightweight 17 inch wheel. Have to check around.

No thinking about ultra high performance summer tires. I dont know that I can pick up anything reasonable in a lightweight 17 inch wheel. Have to check around.

try to find a set of stock BBS rims off a 2004 STi. These are a good deal, for 17x7.5 forged rims. You can pick them up for around $850 -$1000 usually with tires on them. They weigh about 17 lbs. I had a set on my WRX for a while. The only downside is they are a pain to clean off the brake dust.

If you aren't already on it, check out Nasioc.com. You should be able to find some good deals local.

• 2 months later...

George, I just sent you a PM. I have a set of '04 STi BBS wheels with some slightly used RA-1s that I used to run in DE2. They're for sale if you're interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a set of Rota Grids that I use for HPDE. Just make sure you get the right ones. I accidentally got a set for the wagons and the rims wouldn't fit over my upgraded brakes. You could also look into the Slipstreams. Both of these are lighter than stock rims and you can get them for prob around $650~$700 for 17x7.5. I have also some Falken RT 615s in 225/45. They start to slip more going around corners on a warm to hot day, but I just came back from an event and they weren't too bad.

The Falkens are reasonably priced. I have a set of the all season Falken Ziex 912s for my street tires, and they're more than adequate for the street. I drove these at one HPDE session due to not having enough time to put on my track set, and they definitely did not grip as well. However, I'd argue they're ok for learning on.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found the Falkens offer very good grip initailly but get greasy after only a few laps. But, if you back off, they do "come back".

I've had better luck with Kumho Ecsta MX. Grip isn't as good but almost as good as the Falkens. However, they stand up to punishing lap after punishing lap without much change in grip characteristics as opposed to the Falkens that you have to back off on when they get greasy. I used them on my DD '05 STi & for occasional track use. I now use them (different size than for my STi) as rains for my dedicated DE Miata. I just went to the Kumho website & see they now offer an Ecsta XS. I'm assuing they're even better than the MX.