Do foam helmet supports provide any neck injury protection?

lonepatrone

Do foam helmet supports provide any neck injury protection? I know that a Hans, DefNder, Isaac, or similar device would be ideal, but I don't want to spend the $500 to get one of the true neck injury provention devices at this point in time. I'm currently only on HPDE-2, and I'm trying to find out if spending the $80 on a foam helmet support is money well spent. At my last track weekend, I overheard an instructor saying they were a waste of money, but my instructor told me they are worth buying. Thoughts?. TIA.

I would guess in a severe crash they probably are worthless. I'm running in HPDE too and I can't put a roll bar/harness in my car since it's my daily driver, so I wear one of the helmet supports. I figure although it probably won't do anything in a severe impact, it might help in a lower speed impact and can't hurt. Plus it's only $80, a fraction of what you are paying to run in the event.

When I did not wear one after a weekend my neck was sore for days.

Now that I wear one my neck is not sore.

It only adds a little extra support, would be helpful in a slow impact.

When I upgrade my safety equipment I will be going to a HANS or similar.

I am an old guy, 55...and my neck got sore when I 1st started..so I started working out at the gym, and like magic my neck got stronger and no longer gets sore. It does get tired after a long 2 or 3 day weekend of driving AND Instructing...but I recovery very quickly.

Bottom line is that you just need to fix the problem, not cover it up.

In a word, NO, the ubiquitous helmet support (foam collar, neck brace, whatever) does nothing for safety. There has been independent testing done to confirm this. At best, the helmet support function is just that, a helmet support. It helps support the weight of the head and take some of the pressure off the neck muscles, especially in underdeveloped neck muscles. At worst, in a crash, a helmet support can actually add to the mass of your head and helmet increasing, by some ? margin, the chance of an injury. Some sanctioning bodies require an SFI rated one to help cover up the neck area with FR material, as keith stated.

and laze1, you are not old, just getting re-experienced.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

Well put Howard that sounds alot better than "old-fart"

and laze1, you are not old, just getting re-experienced.

Howard Bennett

HANS Performance

• 3 weeks later...

The Hans is probably the best safety head restraint device as long as it is used in conjunction with 5 or 6 point harnesses, and the correct seat for such harneses. The problem is when an instructor gets into a student car that has only factory belts......... the Hans does not work. In a crash, the factory belts will allow a body and head move together and thus lessen the snap effect of the head moving foreward and the body staying put in the seat. For instructors that get into many different cars, seats and belts should rather use the R-3 unit where the extension of the torso is keeping the head over the shoulders, no matter what restraint is used. The foam collar looks cool, but really hot, fire rated, and amen.

HANS has the best brand name and marketing

http://www.racesafetydata.info/HNR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are many that go toe-to-toe and do well... and depending on your car, seat arrangement, etc could be significantly better for you. There is very simply no one-size-fits-all-and-is-the-absolute-best H&N restraint, which is why its good that we've got some choice within the SFI spec we're given.

- KB, who wears the R3

Edited by Guest

HANS has the best brand name and marketing

http://www.racesafetydata.info/HNR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are many that go toe-to-toe and do well... and depending on your car, seat arrangement, etc could be significantly better for you. There is very simply no one-size-fits-all-and-is-the-absolute-best H&N restraint, which is why its good that we've got some choice within the SFI spec we're given.

- KB, who wears the R3

I also use it, yes its good brand