Sports Racer

Augusta2

Need Help ! Have a chance to get a great deal on a DSR. Notice very few Sports Racers running in NASA, at least here in Mid- Atlantic. Would love some advice on the matter. Running in SCCA is not an option - long time NASA racer.

Nick

I would not race this car with NASA. We've had a few of these show up for our races in the Midwest and because of their speed, they get put in the AI race group. I've more than once about ran over these things as you just can't see them coming up behind you. They need to be racing with similar cars and not big old Mustang & Camaros. My opinion this is bad idea and they should stay with organizations that have run groups for them.

Sidney Franklin

Midwest Region

aaannnndd it really depends on the region there

I figure most people at this level are smart enough to decide for themselves, but whatever

KBrew,

Nick was asking for opinions before buying a racecar that is not common to NASA and I gave him mine. I believe my concern should be enough to get him asking questions in his local region. He might find that a Sports Racer is common and a seperate run group for tiny, open cockpit cars is the norm. Or he may hear other stories from racers who also about ran over these small plastic vehicles.

It seems NASA has done fine with American Iron, Spec Miata, German Touring Challenge, Spec 944, and Honda Challenge. These are classes based on production, road going automobiles of similar size and weight and when split into (2) groups, visibility is not an issue.

I also do not believe in promoting a vehicle to race when there is no class for it. Sure it fits in SU but there are better options to compete with a Sports Racer,...ie. with other Sports Racers in DSR, CSR, etc.

For low priced racing options with large and growing fields...how about CMC, SSM, or Spec 944.

Sidney Franklin

Thanks for the assistance everyone. While the car was a good deal, the safety issue while following a Big Bore car and not being visable, overcame the good deal. Thanks again to everyone.

Nick