Vintage Rules

66GT350

No it doesn't. Even if they are out here for "fun", they'll still be on the track with "real" race cars.

WOW...Them Sounds Like Fightin' Words

John

Okay, even though they are out here for "fun", they will still be on the track with cars that are "really" racing.

The point was NASA CCR is written for your safety and for that of your team. They are not flexible, niether should the tech inspector.

In terms of 'flexibility', I would be concerned about a wide disparity in the AIV field between full-bore cars and those who show up to 'parade', as worthy as that goal may be - if almost any drivetrain mod will be allowed. I know Gary's car is BTTW, are the others in a potential AIV class in the SE (for example) going to be able to keep races competitive?

Come to the NASA-SE Annual Awards & Karting Party at Victory Lane in January and we'll map out what we think the rules should be to satisfy all of the SE AI/V drivers - or shoot me an email and we'll outline what we think will be best for everyone who wants to race AI/V.

Is AI/V a class that is going to be used by all NASA regions? If so, shouldn't the rules be worked out by National and not region-specific? Or , did I read it wrong?

BTW, that picture makes me want to ditch mine and get an old one. Very nice looking car! Someone call Henry and get him out here!

• Members

Is AI/V a class that is going to be used by all NASA regions? Is AI/V a class that is going to be used by all NASA regions? If so, shouldn't the rules be worked out by National and not region-specific? Or , did I read it wrong?

Yes, but I think we can all safely say that 2005 will be a 'learning' year for AI/V - ie. find out what works and what doesn't as far as rules go.

PS. I know where there is another one if you want it Will

PSS. My reasons for running AI/V are: if I can't go fast then I might as well look good

I think before we get too wrapped up in rules standardization nationally, we should probably run some races and see what the participation numbers look like.

This year is a "toe in the water year" for AIV. I suspect that if it becomes too much of an administrative burden and the participation is very low, it won't come back. If it turns out to be relatively easy to administer or a lot of cars show up, it will get the opportunity to evolve and develop the structure everyone is clamoring for.

The intent, as I understood it, was to provide guys who run with vintage groups and want to actually race their cars, a place to do so. So, I wouldn't think that the no-cage parade-lapping crowd is going to show any interest or have the opportunity to participate. On the other hand, guys who have safe vintage legal cars, are being welcomed by NASA. Bias ply race rubber and all...

• 1 month later...
  • Members
...my 67 will be out there with yall...as soon as I get permission

I am so pumped - we have totally stripped the '68 and cut the floorpans out and I took her for a ride yesterday (on a trailer) to the local car wash to 'pressure wash' all the rust particles, interior glue, and grime off of the car - she is looking awesome! - now for the re-assembly process!

I resumed work on my '67 Fastback...starting to get the AIX fever again. Gutted/blasted the doors and fresh primer/sealer sprayed on. All the hinges/brackets sent out for blasting and powdercoating. Slowly reassembling, I mean, slowly.

Gotta getta cage real soon, then the pace will pick up!

-=- Todd

and I took her for a ride yesterday

I took mine for a ride last week (on it's wheels). It's got a complete engine rebuild with gapless rings, a new girdle on the valve train, fresh head work (iron), double pumper rebuild kit, new Lexan windshield, magnafluxed front spindles (for safety), fitted neck restraint, new tow hooks, complete inspection of the toploader and diff, a new harness, a fire system pressure check, and new front brake cooling ducts.

A ten race schedule is on the calender with the first event just six weeks away on the full course at Sebring (a good test for the NASA-SE Grand Prix de Rd Atl two weeks later).

Doc

65 Mustang coupe #2, AIV

• Members
I took mine for a ride last week (on it's wheels). It's got a complete engine rebuild with gapless rings, a new girdle on the valve train, fresh head work (iron), double pumper rebuild kit, new Lexan windshield, magnafluxed front spindles (for safety), fitted neck restraint, new tow hooks, complete inspection of the toploader and diff, a new harness, a fire system pressure check, and new front brake cooling ducts.

A ten race schedule is on the calender with the first event just six weeks away on the full course at Sebring (a good test for the NASA-SE Grand Prix de Rd Atl two weeks later).

Doc

65 Mustang coupe #2, AIV

COOOOOOOL!

I have a loooong way to go!