Any interest in a slower ST/STR class?

Blackbird222

I've been following a long discussion in the locost community about forming a racing class for homebuilt cars (for all the cheap bastards who like fabricating stuff themselves ).

Without boring you guys with too much of the specifics, is there any interest within NASA to form a (s)lower ST/STR class with power to weight ratio of 12-15:1 or whatever you guys find reasonable?

Moti

Some can, my homebuilt locost (Lotus super 7 replica) is legal.

I'm building mine for ST2.

I believe the STR classes are open to any homebuilt cars (given that they comply with safety rules etc..).

Moti

• National Staff
Can homebuilt cars run in PT?

No, well yes. The Factory Five cars are for the most part home built, and they can run in PTA. I think that is the only exception.

Any home built car can run in STR or SU depending on the Adjusted Wt/Hp ratio.

There would not be enough demand for an STR (or ST) class with a higher Adjusted Wt/Hp ratio at this time.

Who wants to build a car that goes slower? I thought this was called racing? You can spend money on exactly what you want or think you need.However, The class that you are describing is SU. There are no rules only safety compliances. I run a car that is generally 300 HP less than the competition. I found that, honestly, SU is the funnest, most challenging group of deversity that I have ever raced in 20 years. Two things come to mind why it is so exciting and fun! 1. I get to make my parts and experiment, and don't spend a ton of money to go slow. 2. the competition is REAL and doesn't depend on an "even playing field" what ever that is? Surprisingly, I have spent 40% less this season than I previiously did in a spec class. ( currently running in three divisions)

in sprint racing I'd rather out drive someone vs out spend them... guess thats why I run the slowest class possible

I can see where there *could* be a market for a ST3 class, just not sure if its there yet like Greg said

Example of infineon: SU 6-27. Mazda Miata finishes second in SU on Saturday and third on Sunday. Here is one that the guy drove a great, consistant race and out drove some faster cars.

Moti.

Getting back to your question of a new class. I think that would be the last thing NASA would do right now is start a new class when some classes are consistanly running one or two cars throughout the season. If your current car is the slowest in the designated class, then maybe you chose a car that cannot compete within its category. Some cars as classified by NASA don't ever have a snowballs chance of winning...EVER! Those are the ones you don't campaign.

• National Staff
Greg,

ARE YOU SAYING THAT MY CAR CAN RUN STA?

Richard

http://www.pdg4.com"

Richard, depending on the maximum hp on a Dynojet model dynamometer and the minimum competition weight with driver, it is possible that your car would be legal in STR1 (there is no STA). You need to calculate the Adjusted Wt/Hp ratio using the Super Touring formula to find out.

We have a few guys in the Great Lakes Region that are running STR2 w/ their Thunder Roadsters against a Diasio. The class is still pretty new but they're having fun. STR2 should be the cheapest class for a tube frame car.

Good Luck.

FWIW, I would rather see fewer classes instead of adding new ones.

Edited by Guest

Here are the numbers of my car if yo cold verify that. thanks. and then tell me how effective the car would be because I don't know much about that class or who runs it.

381 at the rear wheels

358 torque

2740 weight

thanks, richard

Here are the numbers of my car if yo cold verify that. thanks. and then tell me how effective the car would be because I don't know much about that class or who runs it.

381 at the rear wheels

358 torque

2740 weight

thanks, richard

Assuming that the 2740 lbs. is with you in the car at the end of a race....2740/381= 7.19 - .5 (for weight adjustment)= 6.69. You would most likely be in be in STR1

(STR1 = 5.5- 8.69 STR2 = 8.7 or higher).

Link to the form you need:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/supertouringclassification.pdf

Edited by Guest

need to know type & width of tires.... as well as if it has any give-aways or take-backs for the oddball stuff like the transmission or whatever

thanks for figuring that out for me. I tried the other night and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Thanks, Richard