Jim P.

NASA-SE: Hotlanta Challenge, Road Atlanta, Aug 7-8-9

laze1

I think the Road Atlanta Monster ate 7-8 cars...more than normal I think. Cars parked on both sides of us in the paddock crashed pretty hard, one totaled SE30 and a repairable PTB car...neither driver injured... but both shaken and sore.

drivinhardz06

I was a paired up with an instructor in the clinic in a C5Z that had straight pipes, we had no chatterbox, and the guy said he had like 80% hearing loss in his right ear. We communicated great

instructor clinic was good, sat/sun was fun as usual, hanging around the usual cast of characters. I think I mooched 149 bottles of water from team nobucks coffee. I will have to bring them a case of water in Dec, of course by then we'll need blankets and space heaters.

Jason is going to get me killed trying to run as fast as him.

trhoads

yep, RA this weekend was a little more damaging than usual, I was surprised to hear about all of the incidents. And yeah, it was really hot, I am pretty sure I lost 10 pounds in all my hiking over the weekend. But I still had fun.

jason

'tis but a flesh wound:

wall.jpg

mikahb

I had a great time down at RA running the enduro on Friday. Big thanks to Rob Bodle for letting me behind the wheel of the CobraR and letting me try to figure out how to drive it!

Had a really exciting moment about 45 minutes into the enduro and thought I was going to be one of the grim weekend statistics. I got a bit loose coming under the bridge wide open and had to chase the car just a bit to the left to get it straight again. Before I knew it, I crested the hill and instantly knew I was in trouble - about 2 feet left of my line going into 12. The R pushes when pressed, and my attempts to bring it back to the right were immediately met with scrubbing fronts and not much turning. I had no choice but to hit brakes (and spin it) or let it go 2 off on entry, which is what I did. Slid sorta broadside/slow motion spin alllllllllll the way down the hill towards the tire wall. It was a long enough slide that I had time to consider how I was going to explain this to Rob, how I was going to explain to my wife that we just bought a wrecked Mustang race car, and how long I should wait before I let go of the wheel. As luck had it, I went 2 feet in and between the gravel and the access road down there, it was enough to stop me - about 3 feet short of the tire wall. Engine never died, so I slid it into 1st, dropped the clutch and was back at it.

All in all, luck was on my side and all it cost me was about 5 seconds that lap and one pair of Oakley CarbonX underwear. Rob was exceedingly cool about the whole thing and hopefully we'll be driving together again before too long. As always a great time and a great event. It was great to see everybody that I did, and I'm already looking forward to the next time when I can see many more folks and stay the whole weekend!

mikahb
'tis but a flesh wound:

wall.jpg

D'OH!!!

trhoads

there were quite a few of those flesh wounds, Sunday saw a lot of cars running around a little less pretty than they were when the arrived at the track. Cheers to those drivers for keeping their chins up, and keeping at it.

Firebird Man

I hated seeing all that carnage and I was determined not to be one of them. Taking it home running with nothing but track grime is always the goal. Closest I came to loosing it was pushing it harder than ever in the esses a few times and very late braking at 10A just to see how the car handled it.

Got dive bombed a few times but I threw the corner away to give them room.

All in all I'd say it was a great event, I hope the head NASA guy, (I forget his name) understands it was unusual to have that much carnage. RA always eats a few cars, but some of it looked to be just driver inattention.

Fred Crawford
I hated seeing all that carnage and I was determined not to be one of them. Taking it home running with nothing but track grime is always the goal. Closest I came to loosing it was pushing it harder than ever in the esses a few times and very late braking at 10A just to see how the car handled it.

All in all I'd say it was a great event, I hope the head NASA guy, (I forget his name) understands it was unusual to have that much carnage. RA always eats a few cars, but some of it looked to be just driver inattention.

Sounds like I missed a great weekend

Fc

Stang Killer

mcmmotorsports
List is UP!

And so is an UPDATED paddock map.

2009HotlantaPaddock600.jpg

Not for nothing Jim, but you probably should've redone your HPDE/TT+Vendor and Racers+Teen Drivers arrows. They don't look very PG-13.

Fred Crawford
List is UP!

And so is an UPDATED paddock map.

2009HotlantaPaddock600.jpg

Not for nothing Jim, but you probably should've redone your HPDE/TT+Vendor and Racers & Teen Drivers arrows. They don't look very PG-13.

Realistic though

Fc

Teens intha House

Firebird Man

Fc

Stang Killer

Yeah, the only thing missing was a massive oil down.

When will you be back Fred?

Fred Crawford

Fc

Stang Killer

Yeah, the only thing missing was a massive oil down.

When will you be back Fred?

Probally will drive the back up car in CMP.... new engine is on hold.... I'mm waiting for my stimulis check to arrive..

Fc

TurboShortBus

Hey Mikah...I was in the pits and just happened to already be watching the top of the hill when you came over the crest and down it in the grass, and I'll admit that I soiled myself a bit just watching you. All I could do was yell, "Save it, dude, save it!" Great job on not wrinkling the R!

I almost managed to feed the RA Monster in the final TT session on Sunday when the car pushed wide through 1 and I ended up with both left tires on top of the curbing at track out, which would have sucked in a big way had the car gone any further. The corner workers also got a good show of me getting into 10a too fast and losing the rear end in the third TT session on Sunday, which ended with me drifting the car through 10b and up the hill while sharting myself slightly but managing to save it somehow.

I want to thank Jeff and Jake England for having the trust to ride shotgun with me on Friday to give me pointers on how to get around; otherwise, I would have been a rolling chicane and/or wall fodder. I had a great time meeting and driving with everybody up there, and it was definitely worth the 7 1/2 hour drive.

Mark

kbrew8991

thats not dive bombing, hell even this isn't:

- KB, true late braker and no patience for cars that can't

drivinhardz06
I want to thank Jeff and Jake England for having the trust to ride shotgun with me on Friday to give me pointers on how to get around; otherwise, I would have been a rolling chicane and/or wall fodder. I had a great time meeting and driving with everybody up there, and it was definitely worth the 7 1/2 hour drive.

Mark, only talked to you briefly (I was in the red C5Z over by jeff, #71) but great to have you up.

We had a good TT group (and some fast cars), everybody really does a nice job being aware of what's around them, giving room, etc.

I thought the mini in the high 1:30's was pretty awesome, and joel got that 4200 lb police car in the 1:39's on sat, that's pretty awesome!

Firebird Man

thats not dive bombing, hell even this isn't:

- KB, true late braker and no patience for cars that can't

Considering I was in DE-3,4 I wasn't expecting them from instructors. No point bys or anything, luckily I saw them in the mirror. Probably wasn't as close as it looked but I didn't know if they'd lost the brakes or what.

I actually didn't mind though, to me that's part of learning to expect the unexpected.

kbrew8991

oh so it was just like a race will be, except with faster cars out there... gotcha

L98Terror
'tis but a flesh wound:

wall.jpg

That sucks

jimbow

I was part of the carnage saturday - yellow mustang #114 in and HPDE 3/4 session giving my step-son a ride.

I didn't save it when I got loose coming down the hill to 12. But I did manage to hit the outside wall with the rear instead of the inside wall with the nose.

Still a little sore, step-son is a lot less sore. Ahh to be young again.

Ahh well, means its time to get the engine fixed on the Corvette and get back out there!

Chris04Z4
I was part of the carnage saturday - yellow mustang #114 in and HPDE 3/4 session giving my step-son a ride.

I didn't save it when I got loose coming down the hill to 12. But I did manage to hit the outside wall with the rear instead of the inside wall with the nose.

Ahh well, means its time to get the engine fixed on the Corvette and get back out there!

i watched every second of that and it looked painful. very glad you 2 are ok. howd it snap to the left? did u hit the rumble strip?

jimbow

i watched every second of that and it looked painful. very glad you 2 are ok. howd it snap to the left? did u hit the rumble strip?

I always try to hit the last white section of that gator for turn in to 12, its flat as a pancake or be just a few inches to the inside of it. Playing it back over and over and over I think I dropped my left rear just past it in the grass. When I was shooting for the inside wall I knew I had to try and save it to at least hit the outside wall with the rear.

kbrew8991

its all luck at that point - I've seen just as many cars spin center track in 12 and not hit a damn thing as I've seen pancaked on either side

drivinhardz06

12 scares the crap out of me.

on sat with sticker A6's, I just barely had to crack the throttle before turn in @ 12, then back on the wood after. scary stuff, the faster you go down through there the narrower it gets.

typically I shift under the bridge as the car will spin the tires in 3rd as it unloads itself cresting the hill, great time to grab the next gear. but the A6's were actually holding up under the bridge, so I stayed in it in 3rd till right before turn in, then snatched 4th.

with the A6's, that is the fastest I have ever gone from the bridge to T1. what an awesome tire

Mrsideways

I ducked my nose under a Yellow Z06 coming into T1 on saturday. I wisely backed out of it as it was VERY apparent he didn't see me at turn in. But the TT drivers were VERY well behaved and what fun it was. Got to compare data on the traqmate with mark and that was pretty neat.

I started Shifting to 5th at turn in on 12. Something about High RPM and full corner load just before redline didn't sound like a good idea for engine longevity.