Making wt and hp/tq numbers public?

Lemming

I think it might be very useful if the data on wt and hp/tq for every GTS car was posted on the GTS website. I can think of a number of reasons why this would be good, but the number one reason is that it might make people think twice before cheating. Thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lemming

• Eric W.

• ianacole

• B.Watts

Sounds good to me purely from a data perspective...maybe a little bit confusing for those of us who are looking to run two different classes this season depending on the competition at a given event, but that doesn't seem too hard to work out. Also confusing for people who are changing their weight throughout the season as they add new lightweight parts, etc. I'm not sure I understand how it would prevent cheating though.

I don't think it would be confusing since if you are decreasing weight you should change you sheets anyway to make sure that you make your stated weight. When adding, who cares if you come in heavy.

You could also list two wt/hp set of numbers, one for each class.

As for cheating, if you have a competitor in your class that has basically the same wt/hp and they are pulling you down the straights by 3-5 seconds then one might be more willing to protest.

The other reason to make the numbers public is that the directors have the information and most of them are racing with us. So, if they have access to the numbers, why don't we?

• Members

I have no objections.

Do you mean public as in if you are at an event and you want to request the numbers? Or do you mean a central, internet repository?

If it is at the event, I havent heard of keeping them secret. (Nor have I heard of making them fully public either?)

We can always make it work like PT rules where the competition has open access to the declaration sheets, if requested.

Both, you should be able to see the sheets at the track and why not post on the GTS website for those of use that use computers. That way we can crunch numbers.

• Members
Both, you should be able to see the sheets at the track and why not post on the GTS website for those of use that use computers. That way we can crunch numbers.

I guess the only hangup would be getting every GTS region director to scan and upload.

Maybe Ian can chime in on this thread and let us know what National's policy is on this.

No National policy, and I don't believe that any of the Regional GTS Directors feel it's priveledged information. Don't be afraid to ask to see them.

As for a national repository of everyone's numbers...meh, not sure I care what Wonger's numbers are until I have to race against him For most, I suspect that they're only concerned at a regional level as they don't attend the National Championships. Yet, I don't see it as a real issue to make everyone's numbers publically available nationally. We could find a location for it on the main GTS site, I've been meaning to work with the webmaster to open it up to the Regional GTS Directors to post information to their own regional pages. This, if it's something the RGDs feel like maintaining, would be a good impetus for making this happen.

I have no problem with it. If you're at a race and want to see ours, please ask. If we're going to post the numbers on a web site, my preference would be to just post the numbers themselves and not have to scan all the dyno sheets but I can work with it either way.

I don't think it would be necessary to scan the dynos and sheets, just post the numbers (weight, wHP, TQ). Might just help us determine the real spirit of GTS

• Members

LOL.

Maybe for the time being we can generate a spreadsheet on Google Docs and make it edit-able by region directors but viewable by all?

Give me a day or two to figure out what we can do with the main site, then I'll work with the RGDs to get the data posted.

I have no problem with it. If you're at a race and want to see ours, please ask. If we're going to post the numbers on a web site, my preference would be to just post the numbers themselves and not have to scan all the dyno sheets but I can work with it either way.

In the Great Lakes/Midwest regions our HP and Trq. and minimum weights are printed right on our weatherproof tech stickers that are on our windshields. Easy for everyone to see. That said I have no problem with a data base that lists them. Though we need to make sure that they are kept up to date as racers do upgrades/downgrades to their cars and the numbers change.

-Scott B.

I think it might be very useful if the data on wt and hp/tq for every GTS car was posted on the GTS website. I can think of a number of reasons why this would be good, but the number one reason is that it might make people think twice before cheating. Thoughts?

My dear friend Tim,

Your obsessed with catching folks cheating. Posting Hp weight notice on the the cars will do nothing. You can ask any director and they will tell you any number you want from a certain competitor. Cheating comes from messing with the car, either engine or weight , after dyno has been run or weighed.

The sad fact is that folks that want to cheat will..... lets find a way to get dynos to the tracks and scales, get directors more involved and let us drivers focus on good clean racing..

Your best friend in the South

FC

My dear friend Tim,

Your obsessed with catching folks cheating. Posting Hp weight notice on the the cars will do nothing. You can ask any director and they will tell you any number you want from a certain competitor. Cheating comes from messing with the car, either engine or weight , after dyno has been run or weighed.

The sad fact is that folks that want to cheat will..... lets find a way to get dynos to the tracks and scales, get directors more involved and let us drivers focus on good clean racing..

FC

I wouldn't call it an obsession

I absolutely agree that we need to get dynos to the track and weigh cars as they come off track. In the two years that I have been racing GTS I have yet to be weighed even though there have been scales present at most races!!!!!!

My dear friend Tim,

FC

I absolutely agree that we need to get dynos to the track and weigh cars as they come off track. In the two years that I have been racing GTS I have yet to be weighed even though there have been scales present at most races!!!!!!

I agree my little buddy....

fc

• Members

My dear friend Tim,

FC

We;re pretty diligent in MidAtlantic. Expect to be weighed at least once at VIR You wont know when either... so I suggest going to check your weight before qualifying to make sure your posted weight agrees with the scales at the event!

After stepping up to bigger wheels, brakes, and rotors, my car is a fat pig; so weigh away. Not to mention that I've been eating well lately

It's up to the series directors to decide what gets checked at impound. Up here in Midwest and Great Lakes regions the series directors are good about impounding cars to check weight, and dynoing if a dyno is present.

It's up to the series directors to decide what gets checked at impound. Up here in Midwest and Great Lakes regions the series directors are good about impounding cars to check weight, and dynoing if a dyno is present.

Doesn't happen here in the wild west, I mean SE

Doesn't happen here in the wild west, I mean SE

once in 4 seasons

fc

Ditto...never seen a dyno performed either, hence protests are also nonexistent. Chuck

I'm not sure I follow that logic... Competitors can file a protest independent of a dyno being present.