Making wt and hp/tq numbers public?

Lemming

In terms of on-board telemetry, we're at a bit of a standstill awaiting a response from the company that we initiated the inquiry with...
Ian, have you talked to Jerry? I am pretty sure they are already using something for this purpose for USTCC.

Come to think of it, didn't they use one on you for the 25?

Yes we have, and yes they did

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lemming

• Eric W.

• ianacole

• B.Watts

The last thing I want to get involved with is a "Turbo-gate" situation where people are thinking you are not playing fair. How could this example be enforced? I'd prefer that to be defined before the car ever got on track.

Already in the rules:

"All adjustable engine management systems must be declared on the Dynamometer Certification Form. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of all timed sessions for the weekend. Adjustable engine management systems include but are not limited to systems such as MoTec and MegaSquirt that can upload and download from external computers, potentiometers, diodes, and switches that can alter signals from engine sensors and other factory installed devices such as traction control that change engine performance when non-drive wheels are stationary."

We have a GTS4 tune that caps our motor at 313 rwhp and then a CMod (BMW CCA) and GTS5 tune that is tuned for a conservative max power number. We also have a "rain" tune that is based off the GTS5 tune, but it only has a slight power change (down) and is mostly focused on changing the way the power comes on and the relationship between the electronic throttle pedal and the opening of the throttle bodies. All 3 tunes appear on our dyno sheet.

• Members
The last thing I want to get involved with is a "Turbo-gate" situation where people are thinking you are not playing fair. How could this example be enforced? I'd prefer that to be defined before the car ever got on track.

All 3 tunes appear on our dyno sheet.

And is declared.

Interest point about that rule and the way that it is worded...almost EVERY car in the paddock needs to declare adjustable engine management. The ability to tune stock OBD-I and OBD-II ECU's with a laptop in the paddock is readily available for those willing to pay for it.

Bryan,

I'm aware of the rule....and actually learned more about it from reading one of your posts from last year and from reading some of the posts regarding declarations for Nationals last year. Maybe I should have been more clear on what I meant by the "enforcement" side. I guess the only real way to do this would be to have an in-car data aquisition system. I currently have an IQ3 data aquisition system. But, I think the system should be provided by...and controlled by NASA.

One thought would be to have a number of data aquisition systems for each race. Maybe the top two or three cars have to run the system. NASA could have a pool of portable systems which could be shared between regions. All cars would be required to have a place to attach the system....velcro maybe? It would also be located in a spot where the driver could not reach it. And, the drivers would not know if they are running the system until they are gridded. The systems would then be collected when the cars come off track. Something like a G-tech Pro could be had for $200 to $300 each.

Damon in STL

How has NASA handled enforcement at the Nationals in past years? Do they dyno all the cars at the event?

I believe that they dyno at least the top 3.

Generally, they dyno the top 4-5 at the Nationals...there have been random dyno tickets handed out as well. I'll have to say they've pretty much had it covered at all three nationals I've participated in.

How has NASA handled enforcement at the Nationals in past years? Do they dyno all the cars at the event?

I believe that they dyno at least the top 3.

At least

• 2 months later...

I saw stickers up at the WGI race. How about as everyone comes in to get verified during practice and qualifying you put one on their windsheild with the HP and weight.

Yup, great idea...that's how they were doing it at the Nationals and I kept that sticker on until I removed a tear-off layer...had weight AND HP #s on it.

Yup, great idea...that's how they were doing it at the Nationals and I kept that sticker on until I removed a tear-off layer...had weight AND HP #s on it.

In the Great Lakes region our tech stickers have our minimum Weight and HP and Trq. numbers printed on them at each event. We also have a Dyno(same one used at Nationals this year) at a lot of the events and and the region always has their own scales at the track. I was on the Dyno about 5 times or so this season.

-Scott B.

Scott, how consistent were your dyno readouts?

Greg,

My dyno's have always been consistent, usually within a few HP and Trq.

-Scott B.

In the Great Lakes region our tech stickers have our minimum Weight and HP and Trq. numbers printed on them at each event. We also have a Dyno(same one used at Nationals this year) at a lot of the events and and the region always has their own scales at the track. I was on the Dyno about 5 times or so this season.

-Scott B.

I wish the SE would take a lesson from your region

-Scott B.

Learn about the stckers or the trackside dyno????

Fc

-Scott B.

Learn about the stckers or the trackside dyno????

Fc

Both!