starion887

Sad News: 2009 Rally WV Canceled

starion887

WIth the end of early entry, 2009 RWV has slightly over 50% of the total 2008 entry numbers. Having fair knowledge of who else is planning on entering, and accounting for the numbers of added entries and withdrawals typically seen after this point in time, I am projecting a financial loss for the event that cannot be supported. (If you're interested, we had a >15% entry withdrawal rate last year in the last 2 weeks, all due to reasonble issues.)

Based on this, and the fact that we have to start laying out large chunks of $$ in the next few days, I havereached the painful decision to cancel 2009 Rally WV due to low entry levels. This is per the published 2009 Rally WV Supp Regs, section 3.4. This announcement wil be posted on the rally website in a couple of days but you can consider it official. This is a decision point that is reached at some time in any rally, and I believe it is much better to do this as early as possible so people can cancel motel reservations, defer last minute car prep expenses, and so forth.

All competitors' entries fees received will be refunded in full. This may take a week or 2 to get out, so your patience and tolerance are appreicated. I know this is much, much more than just a simple financial deal for all concerned. Competitors plan and saved up for each event, folks make vacatin plans, and this effects championship points for USRC, ARC, and RallyMoto. It is very painful to me to make a decision that effects so many things up for so many people, and for that I must apologize profusely. The sense of failing many good people in a many ways is more than I can possibly express in words.

I want to thank all the competitors who have supported the event in all years including this one, and all of the volunteers who have contributed so much to each event, and who signed up for this year's event. In looking forward, a change in event management may be best for the future. It is criticial IMO to restore confidence on the part of anyone in the rally community whose faith in the event may be shaken by this decision. I want to prevent any lack of ability or good judgment to get in the way of future event and championship success.

Sincerely,

Mark B.

Jeff Hagan

That sucks.

I understand that difficult decisions like this have to be made sometimes, but it's really too bad.

Thanks for all your work this year and previous years for Rally West Virginia. I definitely appreciate it, as well as the efforts of the rest of the organizing committee and all the workers who have had a hand in it.

starion887

Thanks for the understanding reply, Jeff. You summed it up well in your opening phrase. This is just circumstances IMO, and is part of what all organizers have to plan for when preparing for an event. As a competitor I would attend every rally in the galaxy if I could!

Regards, and we'll get 'em next year...

Mark B.