Hood weight ?

V8cobra99

Hi Andy,

The stock ones are too heavy for sure. No, I never weighed them. You might checkout abcexclusives on the web. Another possibility is to give Griggs Racing a call. They work through nose weight issues all the time building race cars (707) 939-2244. Ask for John Griggs and tell him Hal sent you. I'm looking at getting a lighter hood for the 96. The street edition carbon fiber hood still has too much weight due to reinforcing for the stock latch mechanism and hinges, etc.

Regards

-Hal

AI West #46

Hal - thanks. I called MM and emailed Griggs and got some input. Carbon fiber seems to be the way to go and I looked at some on EBay. Basically, I need to get one that is around 20lbs, the stock unit seems to be around 40-45lbs, even though it is fiberglass.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It is not the fiberglass per se that makes for a heavy hood. It is all the street features. Street hoods are usually dual layer structures some of whihc have steel reinforcement for the hinge mounting points and the striker plate up front. A very light weight racing hood will use 4 pins (sometimes more) and be a single layer structure.

I'm not arguing against carbon fiber I'm just trying to make sure that you don't pass up a really light fg hood because of misconceptions. For example, I may personally transition from a cf street hood to a lighter and more cost effective fg racing hood for '05...

Regards

-Hal

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kerry and Hal, thanks. Actually this was an old post. Last year I cut the inner layer of the stock hood out like Hal suggested and cut the hood down to 19lbs. Then I cut two louver/vent holes to evacuate the heat a bit better, and removed the stock hood latch assembly and used 4 hood pins to secure the hood.

Andy