Checking wear on Carbotech pads

2thAche

Two days after doing an HPDE event at RA, my left front started making a grinding noise on the way to work. Pad still showed 3mm+ of thickness, but when I took it off it was to the studs on the inside and outside pad. Carbotech XP10 pads (no squealers).

The studs are longer than I would think, is this standard for Carbotechs? Up till now I've run the stock Brembos, they can get to ~1mm before needing replacement. Replace the Carbotechs at 3mm?

Chuck.

I guess the Carbotechs that are made for my car are different, I can take them all the way to the backing plate - that does sound about right for rivited pads though

With those easy-to-change Brembo calipers I'd get in the habit of switching back to street pads more often if it was me.. but

Are you sure you have CT XP-10's?

I've been running them since last year and have not seen any rivets. Be careful when they get thin though as the wear rate seems to increase.

The rear pads (XP8) are riveted for my application.

Carbotech says that their pads can be used down to 5/32" (3.9mm) of remaining pad material. Sounds like you're in need of a new set.

I have had much better wear from cobalt xr2 than from the carbotech xp10, 3 weekends max on the xp10 and 5-7 out of the xr2. I like the feel of the cobalt better too.

I have had much better wear from cobalt xr2 than from the carbotech xp10, 3 weekends max on the xp10 and 5-7 out of the xr2. I like the feel of the cobalt better too.

I've heard the same and have switched to the Cobalts as well. Should be trying them out all this fall

Where are you guys buying Cobalt pads? I've searched several times online but all the places listed either no longer carry Cobalt or are gone. I haven't seen any place currently advertising them (or any local racer/distributors selling them) in a few years. I really liked the the Spec-VR's that came with my car and I'd like to try the XR2's to see if they really are "all that".

I've used the XP8 and now I'm using the XP10 on my RX-8. Every set I've bought comes with the rivets. Maybe different models are made differently? The last set I let get down to the rivets in the rear and they made grooves in the rotor.

I'd like to try the Cobalts next time as well but it seems like I am always buying pads at the last minute and Carbotech is right here in town.